Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I've seen others guess this as well. Sam as the scribe who is writing down the whole saga, sort of like how Bilbo was writing The Hobbit. I think that would be kind of sweet, seeing as GRRM has said that Sam is sort of the closest analogue to him in the story.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not me.

3. alexpop

I'll start binge watching later in 2019 ( fourth time). Guess the complete saga will get the big blu ray box for the Christmas market, or early 2020.

GregM and Deuce66 like this.
  4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

The books are great; some of the earlier series on TV were great; some of the latter episodes on TV were great.

The last two series weren't great - they felt like the equivalent of the multiple joke writers of Friends. Thrown together. Shame.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

HBO did a marathon of season 1 yesterday and I wound up watching ep. 5,6, & 7. Simply stunning storytelling, all the concepts and character's were still fresh and being introduced. A deep, thickly nuanced, complex story that didn't insult one's intelligence. I honestly don't know how many times I've seen the series, quite a few (I read the book series a few times also!). The 1st season will always be my favorite.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Will they be 'marathon-ing' them once a WEEK...or once a month?

7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Yeah... when they say Winter is coming in this show...I call bullsh!t

GodShifter and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  8. alexpop

Has to be the best tv show in the annals of TV dramas, if I had to contradict that.. then Breaking Bad.:)

Ed Hughes likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Don't know but I'd guess weekly (Sat.). That said, if you're an HBO subscriber it should include HBOGO, EVERY episode from EVERY season of EVERY HBO series. You can watch whenever you feel like it!

10. alexpop

Couldn't watch a real time TV binge watching experience too many adverts. Blu Ray for this media boy, Steelbook fancy packaging aesthetics ..yes sir!!!

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep, blu-ray for me.

Yeah, I'll try to hold off another year and splurge on the complete box on release day...I've sold off my individual season blu-ray boxes 1-6 and controlled myself about buying season 7 (sadly I succumbed to getting HBO for about 3 months to see the season--hoping to exercise more self control this time). Need to be cost-conscious due to protracted custody battle.

Sopranos bests both of them, but you can't really compare to GoT. We are indebted to HBO for taking a chance on bringing this to the screen. I don't think any other company could have done this. With each season growing the budget we have been treated to some amazing visuals that really paid off the story. I don't know why anyone would whine about this series with nearly flawless in execution since season 1 right up through 7. I don't get the criticisms about that season. Why did we need further character dev for characters that are already fully developed? Now we get 6 more hours before it wraps up.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

My only gripe ?
    Six hours.
    Guess the show has to come to a end eventually.

Hope HBO starts production on the prequel immediately( if not in pre production..currently :)).
    Wouldn't mind some of the GOT cast members turning up as a past ancestor.

13. alexpop

Thinking of selling off my current Blu Ray ( couple of tasty steelbooks) collection, but I have to keep them till at least the complete saga 4K Blu Ray whatever box is available. Better be good!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  14. Parachute Woman

Eek, I would hate that. "Identical past relations played by the same actor" is one of my least favorite television tropes. Way too cheesy. I want the prequel to totally stand on its own. It is set thousands of years before Game of Thrones, after all. Martin's world is massive. Let it expand rather than returning to old wells.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I haven't watched but maybe the first seven or so episodes of Game Of Thrones. Decided to just wait until it is all over and if they don't "Lost" the finale then I will buy the complete series on BD.

16. alexpop

Eek"?
    Examples?

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I would think you could get better prices for the steelbooks and individual seasons in general before the complete box is available. That's the one everyone will be wanting in another year.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Yes your right.

19. Parachute Woman

Examples of shows that did it? Golden Girls, Charmed, Outlander, The X Files, Doctor Who/Torchwood, Smallville, Star Trek: TNG...

I always hate it. I don't like roles being recast either. My immersion is broken in both cases. Takes me right out of the story.

20. alexpop

Don't watch those shows cept Outlander. And what's the problem about this time travel series ?

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

No matter how it ends... I don't think it's going to make everyone happy. Too many possibilities. But I wouldn't judge whether or not you're going to commit to this series based on the strength or weakness of how it ends.

This show is as daring as I've ever seen in scope and size. Nothing matches it in its chance taking. And it is TV's finest story. Same story could be told featuring mobsters or Washington DC politicians and it would be just as compelling. No one is safe. And your favorite character one episode could be your most hated another.

You can debate whether or not this is the best television series ever all you like. There might not be a definitive answer as tastes are subjective. But nearly all of us that has seen this through to this point agree that at the very least it's in the conversation.

If you're choosing to do it this way because you'd rather binge watch it... I get it. The wait from week to week could be excruciating. But I wouldn't give the finale so much weight as to allow that to be the deciding factor. 7 seasons of excellence can not be erased by a potential 90 minute closing clunker.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  22. alexpop

I would start watching it now. Time is of the essence. Great Xmas binge.

23. Parachute Woman

Agreed on all counts. And I happen to be someone who loved the finale for Lost. Not everyone hated it. And even if someone did hate the finale, I don't think that should erase the amazing storytelling of the previous six seasons of the show. I was a huge Lost fan and I'm sad that the only time the show seems to come up these days is to mention the finale. Seasons three and four of Lost were two of the strongest television seasons I've ever watched.

I will feel the same about Game of Thrones. I am prepared for pretty much any outcome and however the show ends, it won't change any of the 72 episodes that preceded that one final episode. It's a remarkable achievement no matter how it ends.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally agree on all counts. The only valid criticisms of show amount to holding against it the scope and scale of the ambitious character roster, geography, plot twists and battle scenes. And the debate about whether this is the best show really amounts to whether you are a viewer who craves getting inside a single protagonist's head as portrayed by a great actor, or whether you prefer cutting from plot to sub-plot with a cast of equally capable supporting actors. I mean the closest thing to a lead actor in this is Peter Dinklage, who would not be given leading actor opportunities in other productions. I point this out because the dwarf could well win the game of thrones by the end of the finale.

25. alexpop

I didn't mind The Sopranos ending. Kept waiting for the tv to turn on again. :D

Ed Hughes and GregM like this.