Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Never thought about it this way, but with only one episode left, I have to agree.

I watch each episode feeling a bit underwhelmed.
    Still enjoying it, just saying it’s an 8 where past years were solid 9’s and even 10’s

LarryP and rogertheshrubber like this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Sounds like me because on my Canadian satellite package (Bell) HBO is linked to a movie channel.
    It was fine when it was TMN (The Movie Network) and Movie Central before it.
    But when TMN was merged with Crave (owned by Bell, of course) last Fall the programming took a downturn.

I’m going to ditch the $23 a month Crave/HBO package and figure out another way to get HBO in the future if I want it.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Olenna was one of my favorites, and Rigg did a tremendous job. Too many great performances on this show to narrow it down to 5, honestly.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

People want quality entertainment but are sometimes unwilling to pay for it, such is current the state of media. Perhaps it is because there are just way too many choices out there right now. I picked up HBO a few episodes into season one of GoT and it hasn't left yet, nor am I terminating it next Monday. HBO has been more than worthwhile thus far and many of the current and upcoming shows will keep this flame burning bright.

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

We all know that Brienne of Tarth thing was nothing more than a one knight stand.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A girl is no one.

Ed Hughes and Frozensoda like this.
  7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I can't think of a single HBO series that is currently on, or has ever been on Netflix. That'd be like Target selling Walmart gift cards.

Watchmen looks really good. I also dig Barry. And Westworld Season 1 was good enough for me to forgive what I found to be a disappointing Season 2. Also HBO has a better selection of new(er) movies than other services. Worth $15 a month to me, but YMMV.

Getting back on topic though... a lot of theories that Bran ends up on the Throne. This show has proven that nothing is impossible. And both the book and show start with him falling out that Tower. So it's reasonable to say he's the "main" character. I just can't see 90 minutes being enough time to get him on the Throne, plotwise. Any thoughts?

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've been re-thinking the turn Daenerys took after the suggestion that Varys was taking repeated attempts to poison her. I ended up watching some parts of Episode 4 over again and I think he was with her up until he saw her reaction to his challenge that she was making a mistake. I think Varys was the last person around willing to give her hard truths, Tyrion, after all, is busy trying to rationalise her actions and Jon, is hampered by his pledge of loyalty, he doesn't want to tell her something she doesn't want to hear. I think Varys made a judgment call of where she was going to end up and his response to that ended up ensuring she would be there. I can't imagine he expected Jon AKA Aegon to just 180 on her but perhaps he thought that if he said the right thing to him it would motivate his actions when the time came for him to step up. Sort of a Reckless suicide mission on his part, after all he always said that influence was a matter of patience and this was him in a way going against what brought him as far as it did. Though perhaps he formulated a plan which he never intended to see the end of.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was thinking over this today.

Even if Cersei had helped them to defeat the White Walkers wouldn't they still have gone on to attack King's Landing to force her out?

Kind of a no-win situation for Cersei to me.

fluffskul likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

She was betting on the white walkers to get rid of her enemies.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

With Kings Landing reduced to ashes, whoever sits on the Iron Throne is moot. There is, essentially, no more Iron Throne.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think Varis knew he was a dead man the moment he decided to be honest with Dany. Tyrion also knows she's going to kill him as soon as she hears about Jaime. If Jon kills Greyworm she'll be all alone. Fact is, regardless of what happens to Greyworm, she's alone. No advisors of any kind, no plan of what do or how to do it once she wins. Nah, I don't see how this ends with her on the throne.

13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Maybe they all simply call it a day and back to where they all came from/belong.

Maybe that was the point the whole way along. :)

Veech likes this.
  14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It may not be a coincidence that Bran shares his name with the ancient founder of House Stark, Brandon Stark, known as "Bran the Builder".

15. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

I feel real "Lost" this season......

I can only assume that the overblown battle scenes including the Godzilla like destruction of Kings Landing is what took them so long to get this season shot. Clearly the time was not spent developing a ending that stayed true to the characters that they developed since the beginning of the series.

tommy-thewho, JackBnimble and Jtycho like this.
  16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A science question that's been bugging me a bit:

How many sheep would need to be consumed and digested to produce the amount of energy and firepower demonstrated by Drogon's destruction of King's Landing?

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've just had a listen to The Night King on Apple Music because I think it's the only season 8 music on there if I haven't looked hard enough for anything else. It's occurred to me and maybe this has been said before but this music has a real Westworld sound to it. I know the same guy who writes the Game of Thrones music writes the Westworld music but the rhythm and notes make the track sound like it could be dropped straight into season 2 of Westworld.

Ed Hughes and tommy-thewho like this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Good breakdown of the issues with Game of Thrones at the moment:

Touches on the different styles of writing ("plotter" vs "(seat-of-the-)pantser") that seem to be in conflict here, as described on Twitter:
    Daniel Silvermint on Twitter

19. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

A bleak and devastating episode, by far the best this season. Dany has an overwhelming military advantage and the will to use it; the rest of Westeros must take a knee. It doesn't seem realistic to expect anyone to risk their life avenging the victims of Kings Landing, even Arya, given the lesson she learned about revenge from the Hound. Despite that, I fear the next episode will show that Dany is really "crazee" and thus an existential threat like that horned ****er, as a pretext to set up a simple good vs. evil scenario and her assassination.

JackBnimble likes this.
  20. The dragons get their fire making energy through a nitrogen conversion process, not food. Food is only consumed to grow the dragon to size. I thought everyone knew this? :winkgrin:

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's 'bad writing' that Tyrion & Vyrus tell her NOT to do what she did, and yet, offer no alternatives. Just 'hold tight and bide your time'.....

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was thinking the same, surely he's going to run out. And it almost seems like some kind of liquid fire as the people burn like they are covered in something.

Perhaps that big bulge underneath is just full of fuel?

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And that's where you are wrong as from season one on they have been laying the groundwork for Dany eventually going mad and doing this. I don't understand why people don't see this. They have said over and over how unpredictable her family are and how she has the mad kings blood in her. She's ruthless from season one and keeps saying she will kill lots of people to take the Iron Throne and keeps getting talked down by her advisors. Then in the last episode, when both her advisors betray her she has no-one left she trusts to talk her down, sees her best friend beheaded and her baby killed and her lover end their affair, she cracks.

Which makes perfect sense to everything they have ever done with her from season 1.

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So glad Varys got burnt to toast. He really annoyed me. His whole thing was 'do right for the people, don't let their fate be on a whim of a dictator' yet basically he was deciding who should rule like he is some god-like power above everyone. Who gave him the right to make these decisions? A right little snake in the grass. He got what was coming to him.

John Moschella and Dayfold like this.
  25. What this guy and his nerd brethren don't seem to grasp is that this last season has to wrap up a great deal of story in a very short time. This means that unfortunately there wont be a lot of time for the exposition that some crave. The show started when Martin was a going concern and there was some hope that he would continue to write. This did not transpire so another approach was needed. Commercial considerations have trumped nuanced story telling in these final two seasons. I enjoy these seasons for what they provide, not what they lack. I have the first 5 seasons to savor the "plotter" style and these final two seasons to actually wrap up the complicated threads and stories. I am happy with how things are playing out.

GodShifter, Dinstun and SJP like this.