Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Doesn’t float your boat, huh?

Meh, me either but this entire series has been leading to one great, climatic battle. Ironborn, Westeros, Dothraki, etc, v. the Night King and his walkers.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm sure 'the BATTLE' will be a sight to see....
    but, in all honesty, I got wrapped up in the characters, and, like I said earlier, some have never met, and some haven't seen each other in ages..
    I would assume these 'meetings' would be a writers paradise....and actors paradise, ,too.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Actually I am inclined to think those kinds of meetings would feel rather forced and anti-climactic, and I'd bet the writers would be finding a way to avoid such scenes. The character dev on GoT was quite awesome and helped the sense of discovery, but by now the characters are all fully developed with only the endgame moves left to reveal.

5. vince

...making them one-dimensional; only concerned with 'the battle'?......
    uuuuuuhhhhhhh...... me no like........

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's like criticizing a chess master because you don't like the finishing move after the board was developed beautifully. Why do you think so much time was spent on character dev? So you'd become invested and care about the characters. Mission accomplished.

We will still get to see a number of further developments, I'm sure, with good dialog and perhaps some characters' arcs fully resolved. But there's a fine line between resolution and forcing things into a neat package.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Because that's the way the story was originally written. The moment the show's writers deviated from the original story was the moment character development took a back seat to special effects, exotic locales, and battles.

Rufus McDufus and GentleSenator like this.
  8. vince

"We shall see.", said the zen master.
    Chummy 'reunions', and 'first-time' meetings......will make for more exciting television to me...
    even if, they have to 'speed-things-up' by saying, "Bran told me."!

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It was heading that way anyway. They didn’t “deviate” so much as to had to improvise as Martin stopped collaborating (to supposedly “work on his book - still not finished btw). The end of this thing was headed towards a bombastic conclusion from the get go (“A Song of Ice and Fire”). You’re getting what was intended. Benioff and Weiss are working of Martin’s “outline” (supposedly).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't think that's altogether true. Dubrovnic and other scenic locales have been used from the beginning. The effects, battles and other production values have been ramped up gradually as the show's popularity and budget grew. The show's writers took liberties with the original story all along, and they are careful to be true to the characters. The stage has been set for the ending, not ongoing character development.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

all i ask is for them to not repeat the last season which was really, really silly.

oh, and come up with better names for things than "battle of the bastards" and "loot train attack". :sigh:

12. vince

AND...no more 'time-killers', like that scene of everyone 'getting-dressed' before the big church blew up!

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This is a great example of too each his own. The first 15 or 20 minutes of S:6 EP:10 which... yeah. . Included a lot of people getting dressed... was this series finest moment. The drama, the music, the surprise loss of tons of major characters, the what-in-the-hell is this leading up to-ness of it all. I loved it.

14. vince

The only sort-of 'time-killer' I liked was when everybody entered the room when Tywin was 'hand of the king'!
    Tyrion's scraping of the chair.... CLASSIC!

Ed Hughes and GodShifter like this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree. that was an example of what we could probably use more of!

Chris from Chicago and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

xdawg likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've told a few people that if I were VP of Marketing for HBO, I'd certainly not air them on successive Sundays. I'd stretch those things out: 1/month for six months, especially if the rumors of them being longer episodes (80+mins) is true.

That would be one way to keep subscriptions up. :hide:

18. vince

Good thingYOU'RE not in charge!!:p

19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I can't wait until Dany explains to Jon Snow that in the Targaryen family they prefer that sisters marry brothers and that nieces marry uncles.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Talk about awkward conversations and long silences.

21. vince

Perhaps.....
    The must 'in-breed' with each other...
    since, her 'baby' with Drogo was some sort of scaly mess....
    They may only have 'human' babies when they mate within the family....

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

People have waited long enough. Let’s get on with it.

Chris from Chicago and Ed Hughes like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh I totally agree. Just saying that I won’t be surprised if HBO milks this a little longer...

24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Not sure this is a correct conclusion. It was a sorceress who was responsible for what became of the unborn child.

25. vince

I'm just 'spit-balling' here....