“Game On” Brand RCA-to-HDMI converter: No audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thesmellofvinyl, Dec 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have experience with this product? I’m seeing the video from the laser disc on my monitor but no audio is coming through.

Wondering if this has happened to others and what the problem/solution is.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Sorry but with the information you have provided I need to ask several stupid questions.

a)Did you connect all the RCA cables including audio -matching the right colours- to the laser disc analogue audio outputs?

b)Monitor? PC monitor or an actual TV?

3. Thesmellofvinyl

I did. It’s a Sony TV; a newer 4K type.

The LD player’s outputs connect to the HDMI input on the receiver (with the converter between them).

4. Uglyversal

Hold on, the last bit is not clear to me. Of course there would be different laser disc players with different outputs but if memory serves me well most will have 1yellow RCA for composite (video) then one or two RCAs generally white and red which will be the left and right channels in case of a stereo unit.

Those three RCAs should be connected to your "game on" converter and then only the HDMI cable should go from the converter to the TV. Is that the way you have it?

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Yes, except I have the converter’s HDMI output going into my receiver first.

I found the problem, though. I hadn’t used this player in years, and when I would use it, I never noticed that there is a switch on the player to select Karaoke or Normal or Aux. It was switched to Aux and needed to be on Normal. Silly.

I had changed connections so that the LD players’s second set of audio outputs connect directly to the receiver’s RCA inputs. I assume I’ll now have success when I change back to get my audio via the converter.

Thank you, Uglyversal.

P.S.
    Audio now coming through the receiver via the converter but the HDMI output from the receiver isn’t carrying the video signal to the TV (and the TV source input is correct). Fun!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  6. Uglyversal

As you've said, sounds like fun. At least it is good to know that you have solved part of the problem.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  7. Thesmellofvinyl

I can get both audio and video via HDMI using the soundbar but I don’t want that. So the solution (now that I’ve remembered that laserdiscs don’t have 5.1 separation—I think) is to use the player’s RCA outputs going into the receiver’s RCA inputs.

8. Uglyversal

I think some of the top players in the dying days of laser discs included some primitive surround but it sounds like your doesn't otherwise you would know.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.