Garth Brooks - Double Live (The worst live album ever?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heatherly, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You have to sell them where there's also lots of beer.

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

hhhmmm...some artists make an album as an artistic expression - to make music. Then theres others who.......

".....hell-bent on shattering all the sales records that lay in his path....... demolishing the record held by one of his idols, Billy Joel. All that was left was the Holy Grail — toppling the Beatles' status as the best-selling artist of all time.
    To make sure he reached this milestone, Brooks began releasing multi-disc sets, since each individual disc within a set counts as a unit toward the final sales, thereby insuring an inflated sales total.
    "

How calculated. The musical equivalent of the WWF. Funny thing is the RIAA sales he chased are biased for US sales. Thats why someone like him could crown himself as "the biggest artist of all time" conveniently ignoring, say, the world Latin music market etc. etc.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I needed it like now. I had no time to find it in a store. Nor did I want to pay more than a buck for it. Oh well...got it for free. His loss!

4. ScottRoad

ScottRoad Member

Are you going to turn me into the thread police?

Yes you must at all times in every thread about every artist (except for the Beatles) because anything otherwise would be a threadcrap.
    What a naff question.

5. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I seem to recall that this disc is an HDCD. Am I correct in that assumption?

6. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I believe every Garth disc (not counting reissues) after "Sevens" was HDCD (including Chris Gaine's "GREATEST HITS").

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

On which of his CDs did he "ask" his songwriters/publishers to take a percentage cut to reduce retail cost?

8. ImADrifter

ImADrifter Forum Resident

I thought he said in an interview that the Double Live CD was meant as a souvenir for the fans who attended that tour, and as one of those concertgoers, I enjoy the discs. For me, it's more of a remembrance of a great show, instead of the best available representation of the songs. I may be biased though, because I was able to meet Garth and he autographed my copy. He was extremely nice, and thanked me repeatedly for going to his concert and purchasing the CD's.

They do have a lot of crowd participation though, so that may not appeal to casual listeners. If you're new to Garth, I would suggest the studio albums or a video of the concerts before recommending Double Live.

9. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Very good point. I was at the Central Park concert he gave. Truly a man who gives the audience what they want and then some. Never a dull moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.