Gary Moore appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boots, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Guess he should've opened with this one instead ;)

mike sullivan likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

He's also on both of Lake's studio solo albums. The first one even opens with a version of Gary's song Nuclear Attack.

3. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Thanks for this, I never realised that. Picked up the vinyl of the first Greg Lake for a couple of quid!
    Also. The 9 Moore albums from Corridors to After Hours are being reissued in Japan as SHM-CD in paper sleeves with extra tracks.
    Gary Moore / Japanese SHM-CD reissues – SuperDeluxeEdition

slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

slipkid and Pouchkine like this.
  5. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’ve no experience of those, problematic were they?
    I have vinyl originals of Corridors to Wild Frontier but I’d be up for fresh vinyl copies if done well.

6. Leigh Burne

Some were worse than others but as the signature says - I’m no audiophile and even I could hear how bad the worst of those sounded.

The icing on the cake though was the tape slip on the 12” extended mix of “Wild Frontier” that throws everything wildly out of tune for a moment. Can’t believe that slipped through quality control.

It’s a shame because they offered a pretty good selection of bonus tracks.

I keep hoping Andy Pearce will get a run at those albums one day.

7. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Thankyou. Saved me £100! :)

Leigh Burne likes this.
  8. JulesRules

Given that these are Japanese editions, I wouldn't bet on them using the same mastering. I know in the case of the Status Quo SHM CDs, they actually did their own remasters and only took the bonus tracks straight off the 2005 remasters.

It's funny, I've had that CD for quite a long time, and yet it always passes me by. Only listened to it a few days ago and didn't notice it. Not sure what's wrong with me :sweating:

At least it's a sign that they actually did new transfers instead of just remastering from CD!

slipkid likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Apparently (sadly) that appears to be the case according to the writeup.

Otherwise I'd be all over these (for the rock ones that is). I'm crazy enough to buy them all anyways but just for "original artwork" in paper sleeves as SHMs it is a big waste of $$$$. Sigh...

Leigh Burne likes this.
  10. Leigh Burne

Tbh for the longest time I thought it was intentional - weird but intentional. But when I traded all those remasters in for original CD masterings a little while back and heard the track how it should sound, it’s incredibly obvious that it’s wrong.

JulesRules and slipkid like this.
  11. JulesRules

Somebody should definitely volunteer to buy one of them at least :whistle: Otherwise we can't be sure if they really just reuse the old mastering.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

According to the release notes on CDJapan like this one from Wild Frontier, it appears to be the 2002 remasters again.

Wild Frontier [SHM-CD] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Limited Release] Gary Moore CD Album

Description
    Cardboard sleeve reissue. Comes with bonus tracks. Remastered in 2002. The mini LP faithfully replicates the design of its UK first pressing LP. Comes with an obi, faithfully replicating the obi of its first pressing Japanese LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format. Includes an inner sleeve.

JulesRules, Leigh Burne and Curveboy like this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Assembled this today:

[​IMG]
    1. Back On The Streets Again (4:21)
    2. Hurricane (4:53)
    3. Don't Believe A Word (3:44)
    4. Parisienne Walkways (3:19)
    5. White Knuckles-Rockin' & Rollin' (5:10)
    6. She's Got You (4:52)
    7. Dirty Fingers-Bad News (5:59)
    8. Really Gonna Rock (3:49)
    9. Dallas Warhead (Live Edit) (6:49)
    10. Rockin' Every Night (2:47)
    11. Wishing Well (4:05)
    12. Shapes Of Things (4:11)
    13. Murder In The Sky (5:50)
    14. Empty Rooms (4:17)
    15. Victims Of The Future (6:11)
    16. All Messed Up (4:53)
    17. Out In The Fields (4:17)

Mooglander, Curveboy and slipkid like this.
  14. JulesRules

Why not the album version?

15. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

It wasn't on the three cheapo compilations that I sourced my compilation from.
    Probably wouldn't have fit anyway as it's pretty tight timewise.
    Hence the edit in "Dallas Warhead".
    About three minutes of a Tommy Aldridge drum solo got chopped but at almost 7 minutes there is still plenty of double bass stompin', tom beatin' & cymbal crashin' going on.

JulesRules and slipkid like this.
  16. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Shame the camera work on Blues For Jimi isn't better.
    Shots all over the place & close-ups of the back of the band's heads.
    Small club I understand but why?!

Also is the Blu-ray much of an improvement over the DVD?

17. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Some people, on those forums, were very silly.

18. JulesRules

There will be a box set called "The Sanctuary Years 1999-2004", not sure if it merits a thread of its own.

IMWAN • [2023-06-23] Gary Moore "The Sanctuary Years: 1999-2004" 5CD box set (BMG)

CD 1 - A Different Beat (just recently reissued on CD and vinyl)
    CD 2 - Back to the Blues plus 3 bonus tracks
    CD 3 - Scars
    CD 4 - Power of the Blues
    CD 5 - "TBA" (I assume it would be Live at Monsters of Rock)

I dearly hope that these albums will be remastered - the mastering of Back to the Blues and Power of the Blues in particular is pretty hideous. The Blues & Beyond box set actually included the entirety of those albums, plus a live show from the Back to the Blues era, but not remastered.

[​IMG]

Weird, The Sanctuary Years - Gary Moore - CD | IBS shows Disc 5 with the same tracklist as disc 2 - so maybe it's the 5.1 mix of Back to the Blues instead?

Pouchkine and Leigh Burne like this.
  19. Leigh Burne

Thanks for sharing.

I only have one of those albums presently so depending on the pricing I’d be interested.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, thx for the info.

Hard pass from me though. I don't like any of those albums other than a couple of songs on the Monsters of Rock and am fine with the CD I already have. And I have no desire to hear any of those other albums ever again.

Zackster and mike sullivan like this.
  21. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

+1...A Different Beat and Scars just don't do it for me...i think i have only ever listened to them once, maybe twice at the most.

Zackster and slipkid like this.
  22. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

I'd save your money Leigh.

slipkid likes this.
  23. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

The man was a god among guitarist

MYQ1 and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I probably said it already in this thread (& elsewhere) but Gary is my favorite guitarist overall ever.

Which is why it pains me so much that the last 30 (?) years of his career was spent making music that did nothing for me at all (I'm a rocker not much of a blueser). Feel exactly the same way about Bill Nelson of BeBopDeluxe "wasting" (from my point of view) his amazing talents in musical avenues that did nothing for me either outside of the guitar oriented rock universe that I live in. But real artists - musicians in this case - have to follow their muse and be true to themselves rather than faking it making art/music THEY don't like for the sake of us wanting to hear more of what attracted us to them in the first place. They lose some fans doing so but gain new ones instead. Oh well.....

25. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

You have presented a more nuanced description of your distaste for Gary's blues output!
    You've gone from "I hate it" to the less caustic "I have no desire to hear any of those other albums ever again".

One thing in life that I could always count on was you making clear your undiluted hatred for Gary's blues albums.
    This slight change is making me feel a bit unsettled! :winkgrin:

JulesRules likes this.