Gary Moore appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boots, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

At the time, Gary thought he was only repeating himself. I think the re-recording of "Emerald" also dates to this period.
    Not really. Of course I have lots of ideas but I don't think I ever suggested anything. Most of the Virgin era Albums could be expanded to 2 or 3 disc deluxe sets

Leigh Burne and slipkid like this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Man I love that remake. Got it when it came out originally in a tin as a single with a jacket patch! It was one of those tiny CD singles, 3" or whatever. Got a couple others as well but 4get what they were right now...

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I’ve spent the last few years tracking down as many of his 80s albums and B-sides as possible on original CDs, so I can do away with the 2003 discs. It’d be typical that just as I’m getting near the end of that quest they finally reissue some decent collections of all that stuff :laugh:

slipkid, Pouchkine and JulesRules like this.
  4. JulesRules

What was totally exclusive to the 2002 remasters? Love Can Make a Fool of You from Corridors of Power, anything else?

5. Last Turkey In The Shop

Last Turkey In The Shop Forum Resident

The only Gary Moore I have in the collection is "Grinding Stone". That is because I dislike blues and "GS" is the only lp where he gets progressive.

Just the other week I heard on the radio a track by BBM (Bruce,Baker,Moore). I had no idea who the band was till it was announced later. So I'm listening to this and,sure enough, I'm thinking, "Yeah, thats gotta be Jack Bruce and thats the sound of Ginger on drums and THIS INCREDIBLE GUITAR SOLO has GOT to be Clapton. This is some previously unreleased Cream track! Nope. Its Gary on guitar.
    The track was, "Why does love have to go wrong?"
    The other standout track was something about the cost of love being too (monetarily) high. (As I found out later, the other tracks on the cd were weak and more bluesy- as Moore is wont to go.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  6. JulesRules

Incorrect. Colosseum II and the instrumental half of Back on the Streets would like to have a word with you. Even Dark Days in Paradise can be very well described as "progressive" even if it's very different music (Afraid of Tomorrow, What Are We Here For). His hard rock albums are a different beast but they're not really bluesy either.
    Not necessarily bluesier than Cream though? And I don't think Waiting in the Wings or the absolute killer Glory Days are particularly bluesy. Neither is Wrong Side of Town - that's jazz... whereas High Cost of Loving is blues through and through :wtf:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Comet01 and slipkid like this.
  7. Last Turkey In The Shop

Last Turkey In The Shop Forum Resident

Colosseum II three lps are wonderful, but I would taxonify them as fusion.

What is "Back on the Streets"?

8. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Off the top of my head, the single remix of “Falling in Love with You” and the instrumental “Blinder” have also never been on CD anywhere else.

Everything else I’ve been able to get either on an original CD, or off the Out in the Fields/Blood of Emeralds compilations, which have much better masterings than the 2003 discs to my ears.

Additionally there’s a handful of single edits and live B-sides from the late 80s that have never been on CD at all.

slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  9. JulesRules

Gary's first solo Album from 1978, and if you like Colosseum II, you should have it. Half of it was basically Colosseum II (John Mole on bass and Don Airey on synths) except for Simon Phillips on drums instead of Jon Hiseman. The other half foreshadows both main parts of his solo career - hard rock (title track, Phil Lynott's almost punk "Fanatical Fascists") and blues/ballads (Phil's preferred version of "Don't Believe a Word" which had previously been released by Thin Lizzy as a hard rock song, "Song for Donna" and "Parisienne Walkways")

The reissue from 2013 adds another instrumental, "Track Nine".

Comet01, slipkid and Pouchkine like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

JulesRules likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Gotta love Gary Moore.
    Although I really liked his blues phase, his rock/Euro-metal/pop phase is my favourite.
    Dirty Fingers, Corridors of Power, Victim of the Future, Run For Cover, Wild Frontier, After The War.. these are my favourite Gary Moore albums

12. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Anyone know where the 3 Live bonus tracks on the After The War remastered CD were recorded?

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm a big fan as well. In fact, I've just gotten my first dose of his work
    with Colosseum 11 - scintillating seventies fusion. I've often wondered
    why Gary never made it over to North America as a solo artist (or did
    he?). Btw.....did not know he had a son(!).

Comet01 and JulesRules like this.
  14. JulesRules

They are from the Wild Frontier Live video recorded in Stockholm. :)
    I just got "Grinding Stone", the very first album under his name (as The Gary Moore Band, from 1973!) and it's quite interesting; prog, hard rock and jazz rock all seem to coexist on it. His rare singing shows that sometimes you actually can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :laugh: Just ten years later he would sound much, much better as a vocalist.

Gary and North America... I need to revisit his biography but there is something about it. His career in Europe and Japan had gone so well that after some frustrating US gigs as support act or in smaller venues, he didn't really want to put himself through all that again. There were a couple of tours that he had to cancel because of his ear problems, too, so that may account for it some. It's not always entirely understandable and some people think he had a tendency to sabotage himself a bit. He also never went back to South Korea in his later years despite having a big fanbase, because he was afraid of flying and that apparently got worse as he aged.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

He did get over here at least one time that I know of. He played a FREE show in a club (the Trocadero) in downtown Philly on August 26, 1987. I went to that then went to the late show of Hot Tuna at another club (Gary's show was over by 10-11 and Tuna's late set did not start till like midnight). I don't remember the details of Gary's show, IE: why it was free (I was already a big fan and would have paid to get in!!) but I believe it was (partially at least??) sponsored by a local radio station. Maybe it was free because he had zero name recognition here and couldn't sell any tix so they put it on for free to try to generate some buzz (?) to build on. It is the lone time I can remember him playing around here as a solo act (in the 70's he did play over here touring with Thin Lizzy as a late replacement for the injured Brian Robertson who could not make the tour).

Daryl M and JulesRules like this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw Gary Moore at the Beacon Theatre in NYC...I think it was for the first blues album.
    I also have a bootleg of him live at L'Amour in Brooklyn from 1984? It's a cassette packed away somewhere...

JulesRules and slipkid like this.
  17. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Is there a Gary Moore album by album thread on this forum?

Leigh Burne and JulesRules like this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm not a Gary Moore expert, don't have a clip to post, but I did see him open for Rush once. Some guys in the row in front hollering a bit for Alex Lifeson during GM's set...I told my date "They're not gonna see anything like this from Alex!" and it was true. (That's not to slag Alex, he's great, but he was in a rather understated mode at that time). The Gary Moore set was great. I gotta listen some more!

Pouchkine and JulesRules like this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

He's on my top 5 guitarists of all time list. Few rockers had more feel than Gary. Passion dripped from his fretboard.

Leigh Burne, Curveboy and JulesRules like this.
  20. JulesRules

The band were big fans of him, they also snagged Peter Collins as a producer because he had worked with Gary. In the biography I have, it's stated that Alex really worked his guitar's vibrato arm following Gary. An opening act like that would push any main act to up their game!
    I don't think so! I've thought about doing one a couple of times, but I'm currently falling behind on the ZZ Top ABA thread, barely hanging on with Supertramp, and pretty much failing to keep the Alan Parsons, Marillion and John Mayall threads going in any regular manner, so... :(

Pouchkine likes this.
  21. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with the bulk of the man's work, but one day a couple of decades ago I heard Over the Hills and Far Away somewhere, and that was enough that I bought the LP (or CD, I forget which).

JulesRules likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

while there are a few good tracks and he plays well on there the drum machine is unbearable. Be prepared.

Pouchkine and shaboo like this.
  23. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

My favorite GM albums is without a doubt Wild Frontier and After The War :)

serj and JulesRules like this.
  24. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

With Lizzy at the Sydney Opera House 1978

sheffandy likes this.
  25. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

I believe it only aired on Irish TV.

Some other TV broadcasts were Dortmund 1982 RockPop, Chippenham 1984 just before the Victims tour started. VH1 1997 live in the studio, and Ohne Filter TV Show, Baden-Baden, Germany July 1997.

slipkid likes this.