Gary Moore appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boots, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

It's a real shame none of Gary's rock-era concert videos have ever made it to modern formats.

Davidmk5, Zackster, Pouchkine and 2 others like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Ohne Filter is great. He played "Like Angels" at that one. Montreux didn't get to see his... screwdriver!

Davidmk5, slipkid and Zackster like this.
  3. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

I live in hope that the full Dublin & Belfast 84 shows are in NFL Films' vault, along with the full Stockholm 87 show....
    There was a Japanese Laserdisc of Emerald Aisles, but that's about it.

Davidmk5 and JulesRules like this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Stockholm was apparently all lined up for a DVD release a few years back, but it got canned at the eleventh hour for some reason. No idea if it was going to be the full show or just a direct port of the VHS film (I suspect the latter).

Davidmk5, slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  5. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

BBM Cream killer supertrio

6. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Do you enjoy the live versions of Over The Hills And Far Away and Wild Frontier on the After The War remastered CD?

JulesRules likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't have the remaster, just the original CD. I'm assuming it's from the Stockholm show with Eric Singer on drums and that is very good.

Dave, Pouchkine and JulesRules like this.
  8. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

In my collection I still have the 3 VHS tapes of the Emerald Isle show with the Phil Lynott appearances, the Stockholm '87, and the show from the Still Got the Blues tour with the Albert Collins and Albert King appearances. I agree that for the sake of posterity getting them onto a longer term digital format should be a priority. I'd love to see/here the full length show Gary did with Thin Lizzy from Australia that had Mark Nauseef on drums.

9. Leigh Burne

They’ve tried for that, but supposedly the guy holding the tapes wants too much money to release them.

10. Eric Weinraub

Incredible that Gary's last tour of the US was 1987. His last appearances in the US were for the After Hours tour (NYC/LA) were '92.

Daryl M, Davidmk5 and JulesRules like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think if you go back in history it makes some sense...he wasn't a pretty boy and it was hard to market his music.
    It didn't help that he seems to change direction often and it was hard for most people to grapple with. Also it wasn't even easy to find his music with the exception of Wild Frontier; I had to hit the import shops for most of it.

I first heard him on college radio; specifically a station that played metal on the weekends. I think it was the title track of Victim of the Future but it could have been Shapes of Things...but then I went back and got Corridors of Power and those two discs make a good duology. But then you come to the murky and (at the time) mysterious Dirty Fingers where you didn't know who was singing and the production was a notch down (look, I love it!) Then you get the ultra commercial (yet brilliant) Run For Cover and then again another change up on Wild Frontier and then he does something like After The War (which sounds more like the follow-up to Run For Cover) before going blues.

Pouchkine, slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

He was quite popular amongst the hard rock loving folks of New England and especially by the manager at my favorite record store in Keene, NH. As a result, all of his Jet/Mirage/Virgin releases through After Hours (I moved away) were very easy to come by. I was even able to get my hands on this contributions to Greg Lake and Coliseum II...

13. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

How do you find Dirty Fingers? Is it an essential Gary Moore album?

14. Leigh Burne

The mix is a bit rough, some of the songs aren’t his best and the singer’s a bit too screechy at times, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it once I finally got hold of a copy. Some of Gary’s best lead guitar work imo.

slipkid and Pouchkine like this.
  15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Excuse my language but F**K is that beautiful , thanks for sharing , what a player , writer & singer ........ He never got up where he deserved especially in the U.S.

Anyone know if there are some good quality Corridors of power shows that have most of the Album live ? seems the few i've heard he only touches on the album (maybe playing 3 -4 songs ) , it's among those albums i still play all the time .

Dave, Pouchkine and JulesRules like this.
  16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That's kinda how i Discovered Gary , College Radio out of Boston one late night , Corridors was just out & they played end of the world with full intro , i thought my Face melted :laugh:

Had to run out & buy it that week , feel in love with every note on that Lp ......

Curveboy, slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  17. JulesRules

Looking at my notes, all of which come from the Gary Moore Bible, there are a couple of bootlegs from the tour representing the album well. I'm not sure how easily those are available though. And of course the quality will be varying.

Marquee Club, 26 August 1982 has six songs
    Manchester Apollo, 13 January 1983 has seven
    Birmingham Odeon, 14 January has five
    Hammersmith Odeon, 15 January has six
    Tokyo, 24/25 January has eight (!)
    Paris Theatre (BBC In Concert) March 16 1983 has five, including this extremely rarely played one:

The YouTube channel this is from is a real goldmine, by the way. I think it has all the bootlegs listed and more!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    slipkid and Davidmk5 like this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That's perfect ! thank you so much , Really appreciate that :righton:

That clip is AMAZING ,i love that song .
    As a teenager this album got me through so much Teen love & heartbreaks all in one :agree:

JulesRules likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I agree with that. But I consider it to be one of his lower tier albums myself and not "essential" as Pouchkine asked, at least not for somebody just getting into him.

Essential to me would be studio albums Back on the Streets, Corridors of Power, Victims of the Future, Run for Cover, and Wild Frontier, and live would be Live in Japan, Live at the Marquee, and We Want Moore. Also the Tribute to Phil Lynott One Night In Dublin DVD (which as far as I know is not available as a CD but I love what he did with the Lizzy songs on that set so I made my own CDR of that by leaving off the opening SRVish bluesy song Walking By Myself which pales significantly in comparison with the other songs in that set and shouldn't even be on there IMO).

With personal faves being Corridors & Victims as well as We Want Moore and the Dublin set.

However considering that Gary is my favorite guitarist ever - except that I don't like his blues stuff - from that angle yes Dirty Fingers (as with ALL his rock releases) is essential to me anyways.

Pouchkine, Curveboy and Davidmk5 like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Man I love Dirty Fingers...it's a much dirtier sounding album than the rest and it's one where I prefer the remaster to the original.
    My favorite tracks are; Dirty Fingers/Bad News, Nuclear Attack, Lonely Nights and the cover of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

The original pressing didn't even list the band...but the remaster (and Wikipedia) finally did:

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I had that album (first on LP as a Japanese import, then on CD) for almost 40 years and until recently (might have been through this very thread? or another Gary one up here), I had NO IDEA who the band with Gary was, and was shocked to learn that this is Charlie Huhn on vocals. Doesn't sound like him to me, at least not like the other stuff I've heard him do.

Davidmk5, Pouchkine and Curveboy like this.
  22. JulesRules

He did front Gary's band on the first part of the "Corridors of Power" tour, that's him singing on the versions of "Back on the Streets" and Rockin' Every Night" which appeared on the bonus EP (see here and here) that were later appended to the remaster of "Rockin' Every Night - Live in Japan".

Davidmk5 and slipkid like this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I had no idea. Why was he never credited? I only remember seeing John Sloman credited as a vocalist on some of this stuff (live in Japan); I just looked at my CD versions though and there are no credits for the band at all. I'm guessing maybe they had credits in the Japanese Live In Japan LP I used to have (?).

Btw, I happen to like Gary's voice and prefer him singing his stuff over any of these guys.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Based on Wiki and my own memory the record company kinda...threw this out there...after the success of Victims of the Future.
    I think it had been buried in the vault. So it was a very no frills affair. I remember walking into It's Only Rock N Roll in NYC and seeing this album in the Gary Moore section, no credits and it was odd that it was released in the same year as Victims. I think (I don't have the original vinyl anymore) the only credit was for Chris Tsangarides as producer.

Still, I picked it up and loved it...had no clue who was playing on it for decades.

Davidmk5, slipkid and JulesRules like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Dirty Fingers & G-Force were pretty strange releases at the time I think. Wasn't Gary's "main" albums coming out on Virgin/Ten at the time, yet these two came out on Jet Records? There's probably a story/explanation of all this, some kind of management/contracts/label stuff that went on (???).

P.S. I just remembered that Jet had another release (in addition to the EP someone mentioned above with Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood etc on it) called White Knuckles. I had that on LP but not on CD. IIRC it was just a combination of tracks from Dirty Fingers, G-Force, and the EP (??).

Wow, looking through my GM CDs I see that I have the Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood EP on a 3" CD single (a French Castle Communications release). I totally 4got I had this, only remembered the LP/EP I had (which did not even have any jacket artwork with it). Supposedly this CD single is limited to 5000 copies according to the artwork. Also the 3" CD came with a plastic adapter attached to it to play it easily in CD players.

Wait! Actually I am wrong above. The LP/EP I had was Nuclear Attack / Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood / Run To Your Mama. The 3" CD single I have is Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood / Parisienne Walkways (Live) / White Knuckles/Rockin' & Rollin'.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Davidmk5, JulesRules and Curveboy like this.