Gary Moore appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boots, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

He had a falling out with the label I believe. He didn’t want them released at all (along with Live at the Marquee, which was another Jet one I think) but the label obviously held the rights and put them out anyway. As I understand it they were all recorded around 1980 (even if some of them weren’t released until much later); presumably Gary then jumped ship and signed with Virgin. There are a ton of random Jet compilations out there that all draw from those three albums. Obviously they were trying to milk his limited recording output with them when he became a bigger name with Virgin.

I know at some point Gary said the final mixing on Dirty Fingers was never completed as a result of his walking out, which would explain why it sounds so rough.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Is it possible to find Dirty Fingers at a decent price?

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Spitfire and Pouchkine like this.
  4. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Was Dirty Fingers or G-Force recorded first in 1980?

5. Leigh Burne

I'm not sure, but I gather they were recorded around the same time and then Dirty Fingers was shelved in favour of the G-Force release.

On Live at the Marquee, which was recorded at the tail end of 1980, Gary plays some tracks from both albums but notably introduces all the Dirty Fingers numbers as new songs. They're all basically identical to how they sound on the album though, so if I was guessing I'd assume they'd already been laid down in the studio at that point.

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't really know why but Charlie left the band and John Sloman was his replacement, before Gary did it himself.

Here's the Gary Moore Bible as a pdf file, outdated but still essential. It answers most of the questions raised in this thread. http://www.the-discographer.dk/vinyl/gary-moore-bible.pdf
    That's actually a rare edit of "Nuclear Attack" if I'm not mistaken. (Though it may have been released on CD at some point.)
    I actually had an early CD in my hands when I was in Berlin, but passed on it because I bought so much stuff, plus I felt (and Curveboy validated my feelings there) I might be better off looking for a remastered version. However, now I see they're asking crazy prices for those on Discogs :sigh:

Fusionfan, slipkid and Pouchkine like this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a early CD issue of Dirty Fingers. Never heard the remaster.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This version of ''I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow'' has some of the most amazing playing ever recorded. The second solo is absolutely jaw-dropping.

Fusionfan, slipkid, Pouchkine and 2 others like this.
  9. Leigh Burne

I didn't realise they were fetching such high prices now. I only picked up an original CD a few years ago and I didn't pay much at all.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. JulesRules

Yeah, maybe I should ask my family to get the CD while it's still there. :shh:

11. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Can't say I was much of a fan of Charlie Huhn or Jon Sloman's vocals.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me neither. Although oddly I like Huhn's voice on some Humble Pie & Ted Nugent stuff, but not the GM, he doesn't even sound like the same person on the GM to me!

Pouchkine likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I didn't even know there was a remaster. My CDs of G-Force and Dirty Fingers are both on Jet from 1985. Interestingly regarding the date questions above, both of them are copyrighted 1985 (referring to the CD release) but beneath that it says "Original date 1978".

My Live at the Marquee CD which is on Castle Communications has a date of 1987 on it.

The LPs I used to have of these I got in the late 70's or early 80's but since I don't have them anymore I can't say for sure what the years of release of those were.

Pouchkine, PTgraphics and JulesRules like this.
  14. JulesRules

Here is Charlie Huhn talking about his time with Gary: CRR Interview - Charlie Huhn Of Foghat: No Crooning Allowed

(No idea who the keyboard player from King Crimson is supposed to be, according to the GM bible the keyboard player in that line-up was Tommy Eyre.)

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for posting that, great interview.

I gotta say I never heard/knew that Trevor Rabin did any work with Def Leppard though! Bizarre. Wonder how that came to be and what it was that he did (uncredited).

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

I have the SHM Dirty Fingers, no idea if it was remastered or not.

17. Leigh Burne

The remasters of the three Jet albums came out around 2000 I think and have altered cover art - they have the original art minimised in a small square on the front, a bit like the Ozzy remasters from ‘95, but off-centre and surrounded by a blurry shot of Gary shredding in the background.

I’d share an example but I’m on my mobile and I can’t work out how to copy an image url because I am an eejit :laugh:

18. JulesRules

19. Leigh Burne

That’s the one!

shaboo and JulesRules like this.
  20. Leigh Burne

Do you know what’s actually different about it? Does it just have the synth intro lopped off?

JulesRules likes this.
  21. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

G-Force was a band that was originally supposed to be a trio with Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals but ended up with americans Willie Dee (Daffern) on vocals and ex- Lifetime bassist Tony Newton on bass plus (Moore and Mark Nauseef on drums).
    The Jet deal came because of G-Force.

When that band folded Moore played those Marquee gigs in 1980 with Andy Pyle on bass, Tommy Aldridge on drums, Don Airey on keys and Kenny Driscoll (Lone Star) on vocals.

22. JulesRules

Possible, I don't know.

Leigh Burne likes this.
  23. Leigh Burne

Wondering because over the last couple of years I’ve been putting together expanded/deluxe editions of his rock- and early blues-era albums using as many original masterings as I can find; as far as I know that single/EP edit’s never been on CD but if it is just missing the intro that’s one I can easily knock together myself.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And it's a beautiful recording too. I had the vinyl for a few years and then later got the CD.

That track in particular is a joy to play loud. When Ian Paice comes in.... it's bliss.

JulesRules and Pouchkine like this.
  25. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Last night I listened to Wild Frontier for the first time in years and it was a very disappointing experience. Not only does the drum machine ruins most of it but I don't like many songs on the album either. Right after having finished it I went straight to the Rocking Every Night Live In Japan CD and it was fantastic, the superb drumming in particular, what a contrast.

Curveboy likes this.