Gary Stewart of Rhino Records, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got the news. Andrew Sandoval posted a moving tribute to him and how he changed his life - had no idea Sandoval got his start there as a teenager. " I met him when I was 15 at the Rhino Record store and he literally changed my life. At my 18th birthday party in January 1990 I told him the thing I wanted most was a job at the Rhino Record label. A day or so later, he called me in the late afternoon and told me to report the next morning."

2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

A true music fan. Very sad.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. ReginaJCNJ

ReginaJCNJ Well-Known Member

Awful news. He was such a good man.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is incredibly sad.

Bet I could listen to various (and, invariably fantastic) reissues he produced nonstop for the next month without repeating a title. And come to think of it, that might be the best way to memorialize him.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sad day for us all. We owe him so much.

7. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

8. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Stewart, Richard Foos and Harold Bronson completely redefined what reissues and greatest-hits LPs could be. I owe them all thanks.

Chris C, Galley, Brian Mc and 10 others like this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Damn. All those best of comps that Rhino put out in the 80's were pretty much one stop shopping if you wanted to get started with a new (old) band you were curious about. The Easybeats, Beau Brummels, Blue Cheer, Merry Go Round, Music Machine....there must be hundreds of those, all before the age of multi disc dives into a single artist. Like Steve said, we all owe him in one way or another.
    RIP, sir.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Not to mention the photos supplied by Michael Ochs.

Iceman08, sharedon, rkt88 and 3 others like this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

RIP.

I was a big buyer of what Rhino was doing. Had LPs with an actual Rocky Rhino label.

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Rhino was my first "favorite label" via the Elvis Costello stuff. They're still one of the biggest names out there, and the best when it comes to doing stuff justice. One of the few times you could have both quality AND quantity. I've got a ton of Rhino sets and I cherish 'em all. Sad news.

live evil and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I didn’t know Gary but I certainly have my share of Rhino releases so I’m sorry to hear this .
    RIP

Al Kuenster, longdist01 and clhboa like this.
  14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I’ve known Gary for over forty years. He was really a lovely guy. As everyone online has noted, a true mensch. As for music, Elvis Costello (who he worked with extensively) says “he knew his onions.” He also was a film buff, and had great taste in pop culture, aside from being a beloved community activist. This really hurts.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow. RIP Gary.

16. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Pearl Jam might be this year's Record Store Day "Ambassadors" but I will dedicate it to Gary Stewart. I owe a big chunk of my musical heart to RHINO.

17. MTCIII65

MTCIII65 Where The Loud Sound Abounds!

Back in the day Rhino was a benchmark for me - if I saw the logo in the bins, I would always pause to look at it (and likely end up purchasing it), because in listening (and reading the great liner notes) I came to understand that the reissue was done for a purpose beyond just trying to make a buck.

Rest easy Gary!

All Down The Line and clhboa like this.
  18. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Agreed........his name is all over my collection. RIP Mr. Stewart.

longdist01 and Grant like this.
  19. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

The man made the music world a lot better place. RIP, sir.

longdist01, DME1061 and Grant like this.
  20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I remember the time in the late 90s when he called me up out of the blue just to discuss music and CDs. No one would do that today.

R.I.P., Gary. Maybe you can start that new record label in the next dimension.

21. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Gary Stewart was Rhino Records and always will be. RIP.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident

Would anyone be able to post Andrew’s message for those of us without Facebook, thanks!

23. Jeffro

Jeffro Active Member

Here is Andrew's Facebook message about Gary:

I am deeply saddened to mark the untimely passing of my friend and mentor, Gary Stewart. I met him when I was 15 at the Rhino Record store and he literally changed my life. At my 18th birthday party in January 1990 I told him the thing I wanted most was a job at the Rhino Record label. A day or so later, he called me in the late afternoon and told me to report the next morning.

We collaborated on a lengthy list of projects after that, including the Elvis Costello and Love catalogs as well as, of course, The Monkees. We had a rocky relationship at times, but I think age was always a factor in this. Still, I may never have escaped my troubled home, been able to live on my own and be a self-supporting teenager if it wasn't for Gary's belief and innate good.

He really loved this song by The Monkees: "Dream World" - and included it on the Monkee Flips LP he compiled way before my time. I never dug it, until I got to a place where it would remind me of him. He was obsessive and generous and many other wonderful things people will tell you about elsewhere. But to me, he was real. The first time I had to leave Rhino, I wrote him a note about the difference between the music business and the music friendship. I gave him a copy of the Beethoven Soul album. I really loved the guy and he had to know it.

Your record collections would not be the same without him and many people in Los Angeles wouldn't have had a dollar in their pocket or a roof over their heads if it wasn't for him. Gary Stewart, goodbye from one of your oldest music friends. The business meant less than being your friend always. - andrew

24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Very sorry to hear this. RIP.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

trailblazer, what a body of work. RIP

Greenalishi and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.