Gastwirt Chicago Transit Authority CD: 1 or 2 disc version preferred?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vette442, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The Chicago Rec. CD releases of Chicago albums are the poor man's versions of the Columbia CD's.

Unfortunately, the entire Tery Kath-era Chicago albums (1969-1977) are still in need of audiophile treatment with the exception of the superior sounding Doug Sax remastered "Chicago Transit Authority" on Sony Mastersound Gold CD.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Compressed, yes. NR'ed, no they were not.

The Kath era does need audiophile treatment, I agree.

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I don't know, some of those old Columbia CDs sound pretty good.

Whenever I slip on Greatest Hits Vol. 2 I'm taken aback by the sound quality.

However, of course it would be better if someone, preferably Steve!, could get their hands on those old Kath-era album masters and bring them all up the CTA Mastersound quality level...or even better :agree:

4. AudiophilePhil

+1 :righton:

Imagine the classic 1969-1977 "Chicago" with the breath of life. Wow!

5. pool_of_tears

+2 :)

IIRC, Steve said here once (somewhere) that DCC almost got to do the old Chicago stuff. I'm not sure how many of them it would've been. Maybe it would've been all of them. But yes, if Audio Fidelity were able to license all of the studio albums from CTA - XI that'd be sweet. And if they were to retian the bonus tracks as well, even better. And I'd buy 2 if each :love: I won't hold my breath for Carnegie Hall of the import Live In Japan. Imagine a 4 cd set of Carnegie Hall from Audio Fidelity...retaining all or most of the artwork. That'd be expensive...I'd buy it :)

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

How did the Chicago remasters wind up in Rhino's hands?

I always thought Rhino was part of Warner, and the Chicago stuff was owned by Sony.

7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

In the '90's,Columbia's Chicago license was expired,so,Chicago Music,Inc got the recordings from them,then lent them to Warners,who'd owned all the group's Lp's,from 16 on..that's how Rhino got 'em! (They were also reissued on Chicago's own label as well.)

8. AudiophilePhil

I don't care about the Rhino bonus tracks.
    Each album should be left untouched in terms of track list in order to be true (faithful) to the original.
    I am hoping that the same packaging quality use in the Beatles mono set will be utilized for the Hoffman-remastered classic Chicago albums (1969-1977).

If ever they will be remastered with the breath of life, the analog masters should be used and not the Rhino digital copies.

9. AudiophilePhil

Does any one knows why the DCC Chicago project did not materialized?
    Did Steve give any explanation why?

10. pool_of_tears

I think those bonus tracks were interesting in some cases...and they did come after the original tracklisting. They were mixed well, but not mastered well.

Let's not put the cart before the horse Phil. Steve's not mastering any Chicago cd's. But if he were to do so, that'd be killer :)

I will say that I may be wrong in recalling what I said about DCC almost getting to do some Chicago stuff. I pride myself on having a very good memory but I'm only human. I could be wrong. I don't think Steve ever said what the reason was.

11. AudiophilePhil

Your memory is good. I also remember Steve saying the same thing about remastering Chicago.
    I'm sure he's referring to the Terry Kath-era Chicago (1969-1977).

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Can anyone comment on this excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on CTA:

If this is actually true, poo on Rhino for not leaving the original gaps and fadeouts.

Blasphemy !!

13. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

It's true, and they clipped the begining of the first song, Introduction as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.