Gateway drug to concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Aug 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ok, not sure what you want beyond that picture. What got us into concerts?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  3. riverrat

I just wanted to post this image. Maybe it wasn't/isn't a good thread title.

Gateway "drug" to concerts, for me at least, was the lp-based music that introduced to the bands I went to see. I often arrived herbally-influenced, and once in awhile, psychedelically altered

Greenalishi and GoodKitty like this.
  4. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm vaccinated and still ain't going to any concerts, not worth the risk to me.
    Work is necessary for me, a risk I'm required to take... I hate it but do it

SRC, DPK and Carl Swanson like this.
  6. I'm vaccinated and I'm going; GnF'nR and Black Crowes in the next 2 weeks. I never stopped wearing a mask though and won't.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Desperation to sit next to the cute girl with the long, straight blonde hair...

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

My dad got me a box for 45s and a few 45s to start, then he got me a Close-n-Play, and a few years later he took me to Lynyrd Skynyrd in Pittsburgh in 1976. I was off and running. :)

Greenalishi and Oatsdad like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If we're ignoring the fact the OP just wanted to show that picture and actually discussing what got us into concerts:

My parents' interest in the performing arts. As I noted in a thread about childhood exposure to "culture" (How Much Did Your Parents Expose You to Music & Other Arts? ), I grew up in a middle-class family about 20 miles outside of DC.

We took advantage of the options this location offered. My Dad took me to classical/opera, my Mom took me to musicals, and we saw other kinds of performers as well.

There was always music in the house, too - lotsa records/radio, and my Dad played piano.

No question this influenced me and made me more interested in music period and eventually concerts. I liked different music than my parents but I unquestionably inherited the passion from them - and took it further!

If my parents had been more indifferent to music, I likely would've followed suit.

As it stood, when I was a teen, I was always shocked to find that some people were indifferent toward music and viewed it more as background noise.

Music was such an integral part of my life since I was a toddler that I couldn't imagine anything else!

riverrat and Greenalishi like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Was the concert your dad's idea or yours? And how old were you?

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and the point?

12. Michael

always loved a girl with long blond hair...:, )

MarkO likes this.
  13. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

I just wanna stand under the marquee for awhile. Followed by a brisk onstage shower.

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I'm a life long music junkie, and I've managed to pass along that to my child.

My daughter is 21 years old, and has been going to concerts since she was a toddler. We started out taking her to things for her age range such as the Wiggles, and other child focused shows. Basically, we kinda instilled the idea that if you liked some musician or act, naturally you want to go see then in concert.

As she got older we graduated to things like Dan Zanes, and (shudder) Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. Eventually that gave way to things that we both liked. Her tastes skew kind of older. Her current favorites are Blur, Oingo Boingo, XTC, Alanis Morrisette, and Blondie.

We've "forced" some concerts on her under the guise of "musical education" but she's liked them for the most part.

She's also a physical media kinda person. Some of my fondest daddy/daughter outings have been to the record store and watching her hunt down import singles for all the Brit Pop bands she likes.

Granted, I think this is what I've really done to her...

Cool Dad Raising Daughter On Media That Will Put Her Entirely Out Of Touch With Her Generation

MarkO and Oatsdad like this.
  15. Oatsdad

I don't have kids but my concert obsession has trickled down to my friends! :D

They've all seen waaaay more concerts over the years than they would've if they didn't know me - partly because they go with me to shows, but also because I keep them informed about shows they'd want to see and I buy the tickets for them because I know my way around Ticketmaster.

I'm like their personal concert concierge! :D

16. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Didn’t matter for me. I have the vaccine, tickets to Nine Inch Nails, but a cancelled concert due to Delta. Maybe next year :shrug:

17. riverrat

Seems pretty obvious to me..

18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I was 11. It was my dad's idea. I was finally old enough that I could go with him to shows that he wanted to go see! :)

We had tickets to go see Led Zeppelin in 1977. But that part of the tour was canceled after Robert's son died. So bummed I never got to see them live.

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

My first rock show was Kiss 12/77 when I was 10 - and it was all my idea.

I used to call the local arena like twice a week to ask when Kiss would come! :D

kevin5brown likes this.
  20. Michael

: ) uh huh....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.