Gen X only - Your opinion of the state of modern music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jul 5, 2020.

1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I was born in 1976, so according to the media and others who study such things, I am part of Gen X. To my fellow Gen X-ers, I'd like to know your opinion of the state of current music. Specifically, what are you listening to these days? I was really into grunge in the early 90's, then switched to Radiohead in the late 90's. No my personal tastes are all over the place... except modern music. I don't listen to too many albums from the early 2000's forward, and wonder if there's anything I might be missing out on. Every time I sample the latest trends in music, I find myself turned off by the production of modern music more than anything else. Also, a lot of modern music sounds like a re-tread to me. Your thoughts?

jbmcb, Umbari, Past Masters and 22 others like this.
  2. thnkgreen

3. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain that the use of actual musical instruments in mainstream pop music has recently been outlawed.

4. thnkgreen

I have the same impression

5. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Here we go again...........:shrug:

6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I was born in '78, and in high school I didn't listen to anything from the time. I appreciate some of it now. Anyway, I don't dig today's stuff. Sounds...boring and trite.

MikeJedi, Huxley, RockRoom and 9 others like this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Depending on what definition you go by, I could be on the tail end of Gen X (born in 81). Modern music is great. I like way more records from the 2010s than the 2000s. Music feels completely wide open, anything is possible. Genre walls have been smashed. Any kind of sound is possible, artists seem to really embrace the fact that new technology can produce ANY sound. Music feels liberated from the old guitars/drums limitations. I check out at least a few new albums every week and I tend to have a big list of 50-100 albums I’ve really enjoyed at the end of every year. Between legacy acts that are still releasing great work and new artists popping up on bandcamp, there’s a wealth of amazing art.

9. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

I think I can best relate my feelings via a recent experience.

I recently saw a review of a duo called "100 gecs", and their new album "1000 gecs"
    it claimed they were "the future of pop music"

so, I popped it on Tidal.
    ummm. I think I know how my parents felt when I first listened to pre-Nevermind Nirvana.

please, try it for yourself - give a listen to their track, "xXXi_wud_nvrstøp_ÜXXx"

ziggytvs likes this.
  10. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

The way I like to look at it: Take the year 1976, 20 years before that was 1956! Twenty years ago from today was the year 2000 ("Y2K"). That puts it into perspective for me. Liking 80s music today is like listening to music from the 1940s in the 1970s! Our Generation X probably has the broadest music taste of any generation. Listen to whatever you want.

11. thnkgreen

I actually grew up listening to oldies and Motown. My Dad had exceptional taste in music, which helped a lot. Initially I didn't like a lot of the 90's rock. There was a local station that popped up when I was in high school, 94.5. Since the station was new, the DJ's would invite listeners (on air) to call in requests, boasting that they were "THE rock alternative". I took that statement to mean they were the alternative to the other local rock station in town, a traditional classic rock station. I called 94.5 up and said to the lady on the other end of the phone, "SO.... you're THE rock alternative, right!?" I received a very confident answer, which I took to mean that they would play whatever I wanted to hear. I continued, "alright then... I want to hear 'Maybe I'm Amazed' (a track that the other station in town rarely played - they had and have a very rigid playlist) by Paul McCartney!!" There was a five second moment of silence, then laughter, then the lady said.... "um, we don't play that one." She then tried to explain to me what alternative was. That was my introduction to the genre.

12. thnkgreen

Any recommendations? Your top 2 or three? That's what I'm after.

13. thnkgreen

Funny you should say that, I'm at the moment listening to a Billie Holiday compilation, which is way before my time.

frightwigwam, DTK, Jmac1979 and 3 others like this.
  14. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I am a Gen Xer (mid 60's birth) and I generally do not like modern music of any genre except jazz and other instrumental styles. Although there are some exceptions. I use Spotify to listen to new releases, but I hate 95% of what I hear.

Buddybud, dude, danielbravo and 12 others like this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

IMO the most exciting people making music right now are Tyler the Creator, Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, and Janelle Monae. Anything they put out tends to top my lists and gets better and better with repeated listens. Cindy Lee is doing some very cool, dark, creepy things by mixing noise/post-punk with a girl group sound. Alex Lahey makes great poppy punk-ish songs. Katie Dey’s experimental bedroom pop sound has been expanding a lot over her last few records. That’s just what’s on my mind at the moment.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I love it.
    But then again I'm a fan of 'fake' instruments :winkgrin:
    Radioaktivists-

Rooster_Ties and Starwanderer like this.
  17. thnkgreen

Is there such a thing as mainstream rock anymore, and do you like any of it?

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

And real one's with a cute brunette :)
    Nightjacket

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Building off of my last post, I’d really recommend Frank Ocean’s Blonde if you haven’t heard it already. It’s a really minimal, intimate record. A lot of the sounds and structures remind me of Radiohead (and Jonny Greenwood is on a couple tracks)

20. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I was born in 1982 but don't like much modern music. I liked Australian music in the 1980's as well as Bananarama, Bros, Belinda Carlisle, Queen, Elton John, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Cher, Tina Turner & the Carpenters (though Karen died when I was 1). I liked Irish bands, The Spice Girls, Steps, Meatloaf & Bryan Adams in the 1990's. I've always loved the sound of bagpipes. I grew up listening to the Beatles, Buddy Holly, Showaddywaddy, Soul, Motown, Skiffle, Trad. Scots/Irish, folk & Country music as that's what my parents liked. I've inherited some of their likes. I was introduced to the Bay City Rollers in the late 1990's & liked them. I got introduced to the Moody Blues a few years ago & like quite a few of their songs. We had weekly sing-songs at my Gran's & Aunt Irene's when I was a little girl & I learnt some 1920's & 1940's songs. I've been to some 1940's events & like some of their songs. I don't like many new songs.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    MikeJedi, FramboGND, Seabass and 4 others like this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Hm, probably not? Most of the new stuff that excites me is either coming from the hip hop world or indie/indie adjacent rock. When I think of mainstream rock, I think of bands like Maroon 5 or Imaginr Dragons, which arent my thing

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Nice song. Never heard them before.

wrappedinsky and c-eling like this.
  23. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I couldn't have said it better,I was born in 84 and it does feel great that's no rules or boundaries with modern music at the moment that I struggle to keep up with all the new albums!
    If your more into more guitar bands,you have had Haim and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever who have both delivered some serious contenders for the album of the year,Big Thief released two excellent albums last year,in Hiphop Run The Jewels are probably the most important band in the world at the moment,with singer songwriters,you have had Lana Del Rey,Angel Olsen and Weyes Blood are put some modern day classics in the last year,you've got Khruangbin putting out a very fresh blend of Funk,Sould and Psychedelia, scoring the best reviews and highest chart positions of their career and that's only scratching the surface of what's out there.

I love Bowie and the Beatles as much as the next person but when people sometimes say here that's no good music at the moment,I feel like telling them to check out the best new albums of 2020 thread,I'm sure they would be impressed.

JoeRockhead, jfeldt, Kyhl and 8 others like this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Le- Garbage Pile...

zebop likes this.
  25. thnkgreen

One point to make. My brother-in-law is a year younger than me, and our tastes are t.o.t.a.l.l.y. different. He's gone with me to see both Bob Dylan and Aretha Franklin, and hated both shows. I, on the other hand, loved both. I wonder if my appreciation stems from my growing up reading music publications and album review guides, whereas he grew up listening mainly to video game music. I do have an appreciation for electronic music though. I've even composed my own. What I'm trying to say is that there can be some serious variations in taste between our generation.

frightwigwam likes this.