Gene Clark: “No Other” Deluxe Reissue, Nov 8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Gase, Sep 10, 2019.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

That is just crazy. How many of us have a blu-ray player? Maybe less than half?

picassoson likes this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

In 2019? Way more than half.

hutlock, chaz, Graham and 2 others like this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I would think if you have $200 to spend on this deluxe set then you have $50 for a Blu-Ray player. I'm not being callous and I get not everyone has disposable income to spend on records. This set is not at all cheap. In this day and age though all music fans should have a Blu-Ray player, even if it means skipping a release or two in order to get one. Many great discs to enjoy with it that makes it a worthwhile investment.

4. lemonade kid

Guess I am out of the loop...but then I watch on my MacBook Pro, hooked up to my large screen LED. (I guess I can watch Blu-Ray with help from the likes of VideoSolo player).

But to listen to a Blu-Ray disc with a new player thru my system ...well I have a "classic" amp that has the old RCA jacks. Hard pressed to find a Blu-Ray player with an RCA jack.

5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I hope that the powers that be will eventually release a deluxe edition of my favorite Gene Clark album White Light (a.k.a. Gene Clark).
    I wonder what the chances are of that happening.

qtrules likes this.
  6. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

7. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I'm not sure about that. I know it's not the audience for this particular release, but I think a whole generation skipped the format of Blu-Ray entirely, and went straight to HD streaming and video downloads on their computers. There's absolutely no reason to own a Blu-Ray player if you have a computer or a Smart TV.

longdist01 and czeskleba like this.
  8. And that $50 Blu-Ray player would be a good investment now since the hardware is fading fast. Buy one while you still can, to play all your CDs too in the Years to come.

9. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Good point but Blu-rays still often have extras not available streaming so, until/if that changes, I’ll still buy Blu-rays as I like extras. And Blu-Ray can offer high-quality audio, surround mixes, etc. for music releases. Plus, not everything is even available for streaming so, at least for me, that’s three reasons right there to own a Blu-Ray player. Of course, I am part of the physical product generation and old habits die hard so there’s that’s too! :righton:

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Most likely, at least one major manufacturer will continue to make a BluRay player for many years to come.

Same thing with CDs. Onkyo continues to make a high quality, reasonably priced, CD player even as most manufacturers have abandoned the format.

But I agree that there are compelling reasons to own SACD / BluRay player(s) if you're an audiophile.

11. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Check it out.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I followed the link. There are no original LP pressings on Discogs for the price you say. All the cheap options there are CDs.

The original vinyl has become, with age and reputation, quite rare and collectible in good condition.

Rickchick likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you have a DAC with an optical input, run the optical cable out from the PS4 to the DAC. Then take the rec out from the receiver/integrated and run that to the computer/ADC. Far from ideal. If you have a BluRay computer drive, you can simply rip the audio using DVD Audio Extractor.

AlmanacZinger and picassoson like this.
  14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Blu-ray for surround mixes And I also stream through my player.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They exist but cost more than the supposed $50 thrown out here if you are buying new. Matter of fact, out of Sony's BR players in the current lineup, only the top model that retails for ~$600 has RCA outs.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  16. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

My mistake, sorry.

CowboyBob likes this.
  17. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Agree I have been looking for a copy and no cheap ones anywhere even the Music On Vinyl and 4MWB's pressings are over $40.

This is good news for us that want a clean copy hopefully it is pressed well.

CowboyBob likes this.
  18. Dee Zee

This is a landmark reissue for Gene Clark. I’ve preordered the deluxe on Amazon in case the price drops. But if this is really “very limited” the price may not drop. I may also preorder from 4AD where the price is lower than Amazon right now.

qtrules, indigo_m and zobalob like this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Instant order for me as well:cheers:

20. lemonade kid

Good to know my NM+ vinyl original with the poster (also NM) is so coveted. I got mine for $10, 15 years ago.

Ahhh, they didn't mention if there is a poster included in the deluxe box?

Dee Zee likes this.
  21. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

15 years ago were the days I just listened to today my NM Sweetheart of The Rodeo first pressing that I got with The Byrds 1973, Untitled, and Preflyte all for $6 off Ebay about 12 years ago

mooseman likes this.
  22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I’d like to give 4AD my money for this and probably will, though I am not thrilled that the “incentives” are flexidiscs rather than an actual 7” single.

That aside, this is fantastic news. REALLY excited.

23. Dee Zee

The LP stand alone reissue has the poster so I’m assuming the deluxe box LP will too. I caved and also ordered the deluxe from 4AD just now

24. Dee Zee

longdist01 and indigo_m like this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Amazing album and incredible release. I’d say NO OTHER is worthy of the effort.