Gene Clark: “No Other” Deluxe Reissue, Nov 8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Gase, Sep 10, 2019.

1. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Deluxe version ordered. Now to build my 5.1 system around it...

Simon A and Dee Zee like this.
  2. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

You're very welcome! :tiphat:

Ram4 likes this.
  3. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Movies, Blu Ray audio discs, CD's, etc... ?

AlmanacZinger, zobalob and Imagine70 like this.
  4. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I just pre-ordered the box from 4AD for $141.25 USD. I normally would be happy with just CDs or hybrid SACDs and ditch the other extra stuff like vinyl, but like The Smile Sessions, I had to go all in even with vinyl. My brother wants the vinyl anyway, so I'll give to him on loan indefinitely.

art and indigo_m like this.
  5. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

All I meant is that these days you can access almost all equivalent quality digital content in a more universal/portable file format on a computer. Unless you’re talking about exclusive content or extras - there isn’t a lot of value added to physical format in digital when there can be an identical file equivalent.

That said I get why people still like physical digital media (extras/exclusive content/less corruptable/losable etc.) - but I really do think it’s becoming more and more niche. For me it’s the lack of portability that’s the dealbreaker - I can listen to an HD audio file at home, on my portable device, on my work computer etc. - I don’t need to be tied to a single playback device hooked up to a television.

weekendtoy likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm a huge music fan and I have zero interest in high-res audio (I won't get into why as that would derail the thread into a big unnecessary debate). Regardless, Blu-Ray audio can accurately be described as a niche market, and I think it's unfortunate when a decision is made to release rare material only on a niche format like this. I suppose they are doing what they feel they have to do to break even/turn a small profit in today's market, but I sure hope this audio becomes available in a mainstream format someday, or at minimum becomes available for download.

picassoson likes this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You’ve never heard the word hybrid?

Shvartze Shabbos and muzzer like this.
  8. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I like the alternate, Silver Phial. Has a bit of country-ish Stones vibe to it.

9. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey @indigo_m, I apologise for not crediting you when I copied/pasted the info from your email and posted on here. I think it was the excitement. Thank you for that email and the great job you do with 'Echoes', Richie.

10. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

No problem Richie!

richierichie likes this.
  11. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

That's interesting because Gene had said that he was listening to Goats Head Soup and Stevie Wonder's Innervisions around the time he was writing the songs for No Other. Explains why the alt take of Silver Raven has a Stevie vibe to it (reminded me of Superstition a little bit).

zobalob, Mr. D and picassoson like this.
  12. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Yea I get all that. I still like to spin the shiny disc, but your right, for most applications there isn't necessarily a need to do so anymore.

Movies are a big exception though. There is no comparison in spinning a Blu Ray movie with 4k and ATMOS vs. streaming through Netflex or what have you.

zobalob, picassoson and Mazzy like this.
  13. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Just pre-ordered the LP from 4AD. $22.01 with tax and shipping :)

indigo_m likes this.
  14. I don’t think any of these deluxe boxed set will hold much value beyond the faithful. I love Gene and am glad to see this but he is purely a cult artist. Heck, by today’s standards even The Byrds are a cult band.

15. Absolutely and categorically false. I really can't couch it in any other terms. A wealth of exclusive content will forever remained locked to DVD and Blu-ray, which can't and won't be made available on streaming platforms.

Try looking for the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons. It has been permanently removed from all digital platforms because the producers got squeamish when Jackson was accused of child molestation. It only remains on existing copies of the third season's DVD box set.

Most special features made in the DVD era, because of strict Hollywood guild rules, will never surface on digital platforms. It's why they often disappear on reissues even now.

16. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I bought the deluxe. Gene Clark is a big deal. I do wonder how limited it is. Can’t really afford it but it’s Gene Clark. Plus the article link up above from Gene-Clark.com really sold it for me. They talked about 22 outtakes that are all complete and all different. 5.1 will be what I listen to first.

quicksrt, jamesmaya, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Way off topic here people.

indigo_m likes this.
  18. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

I'm in for the box. If the demonstrable existence of loopy Gene Clarkophiles results in a further appreciation of his music, my cause is just. Even if perhaps not wise.

indigo_m and zobalob like this.
  19. moops

moops Senior Member

I reckon with this set and say even the recent Bobbie Gentry set, once out of print for awhile, if you advertised in the right market you would get back what you originally paid for it. But yeah, you're only going to get interest from those who already know who these artists are.

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I’m in!

So glad I invested in an oppo player last year!!!!

Getting a bit tired of the whining in this thread. What’s up with an audiophile release being slagged off on an audiophile forum by obvious non-audiophiles???

Is tiktok offline or something?

art, zobalob, Abbagold and 4 others like this.
  21. Maybe maybe not. Limited Sets by Big Star and their members have increased in price after going out of print. Same cultish figures

picassoson and indigo_m like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

No Other is Not For Everyone, though No One is for Every Other.

23. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I bought and will love this release. But preferring HD files over Blu-Ray, or not liking when audio content is exclusively released on Blu-Ray is a valid opinion and does not make one a non-audiophile.

moops and czeskleba like this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess I've missed all those posts where "obvious non-audiophiles" are "slagging off" this release. Perhaps you could identify which ones you're talking about? What I've seen here is people (myself included) expressing disappointment that some of the unique content on this release is not going to be available on a mainstream audio format. That seems a valid criticism, and I haven't seen anyone express their criticism in an angry, excessive, or histrionic manner that could accurately be described as "whining."

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

River needs a proper reissue too!