Gene Clark: “No Other” Deluxe Reissue, Nov 8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Gase, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

After a good bit of deliberation I went for the deluxe box. I have never bought anything like this before (the closest was the Beatles in Mono CD box) but for one of the greatest albums I've ever heard and from one of my favourite musicians, I couldn't resist.

I paid €202 inclusive of shipping (to Ireland), which is a lot. But still, apart from the nice silver vinyl, the alternate versions, the new mixes, the mini-documentary and the flexi discs from 4AD, I feel that by buying this and potentially making it a successful release we might see more Gene Clark material issued in the near future. A career-spanning box is a pipe dream but other music might see the light of day.

Plus, anyone who has seen the beautiful artwork and pristine presentation that 4AD have brought to releases by other artists down through the years they'll know that this is going to be special.

2. Should they ever release a 3 SACD/Bluray set without the 7", the LP and the large booklet in a package that fits in my CD drawers I'll pick it up. But as much as I love this album, I'm tired of large boxes that use most of the space for things I don't need. I'll pass.

3. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I'd just like a 2 SACD set and the book. Too bad we can't order a la carte.

TheLoveDrags and Alien Reg like this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

So you'd want 2 of the 3 SACDs offered in the set? :wtf:

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had to go all in and get the Deluxe, despite not wanting to have another big expensive box occupying space. It's become one of my favorite albums of all time over the past couple years, and I'd regret not going for it down the line.

6. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Seem to remember the Flying High mixes were by Jim Dickson, I think they are far superior and almost recapture their 1965 sound. Would love to hear STKOG without that flute.

Dee Zee and zobalob like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

For someone that lives and breathes "No Other", the big box is probably a dream come true. For everyone else it is probably too expensive and a little too obsessive.

Electric Sydney, Crispy Rob and JoeF. like this.
  8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'm on the fence with this one. Usually anything peak-period Gene is an instant purchase, like all the unreleased material that has come out over the last few years. I'm pretty ambivalent towards outtakes and I've got the original record. I really only want the DVD documentary, HD disc, SACD and the book.

Next Year's Man and Alien Reg like this.
  9. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I meant to say I'd like a 2 channel SACD and if my wife would stop interrupting me that's what I WOULD have said!

10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Most of the unreleased stuff that has come out the last few years was not peak-period. Interesting, sure, and some gems.

11. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Back Street Mirror, Gene Clark Sings For You, Lost Studio Sessions boxset, Here Tonight: White Light Demos....the majority of these are from the peak period of Gene Clark's career.

Mechanical Man, qtrules and indigo_m like this.
  12. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

I paid $40 for a VG/VG+ copy at a record store. Discogs is showing a range of $35–$65 and more for copies of varying quality.

I’m sure it was cheap before this record was anointed a classic, but the cat’s out of the bag now.

picassoson and Simon A like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I am probably in between, but also am a little too obsessive by nature, so I went for the big box. It is probably one of my 50 or so albums of all time, despite being a relatively recent (2 or so years ago) discovery.

bzfgt and indigo_m like this.
  14. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I used to have a 70s pressing. Warners USA. It wasn't so good. The 2003 CD was a revelation to me.

Sorry - think it was Asylum, not Warners.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  15. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for saying this. So many people assume streaming has everything. I buy DVDs cheap -dirt cheap , great movies that streamers apparently are not interested in. People have forgotten how to research for themselves and they rely on the "feed".

Mazzy, richierichie and zobalob like this.
  16. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Because we r sick of the constant upgrading. No sooner have you got a system worked out than a new format comes along to take more of your money. Please stop this oneupmanship.

mooseman likes this.
  17. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I agree! I'm not buying this unless it's released on Edison cylinders.

groovelocked and Tom Favata like this.
  18. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

No doubt we'll soon have a rousing pricing and shipping thread for that 90-cylinder box set.

Electric Sydney and Reese like this.
  19. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

There definitely should be, as much as I want it, I have to mind my $ and £ this time of year.

20. Constant upgrading? LPs originally lasted about 30 years until CDs slowed them down and virtually killed the format for awhile But now LPs still exist almost 70s years on .CDs have had about a 35 year run and continue, although much less so. . Technology is changing faster than ever today and audio and visual improvements are being made all the time. . A few formats didn't click, but Blu-Ray are backwards compatible and of much higher quality and storage capacity that the DVD format.... And players are rather cheap.

JeffreyB, DeRosa, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

No Other is many peoples' Gene Clark's greatest album pick, but it's near the bottom for me, more of an oddity and feeling dated, unlike Two Sides which I preferred. This may be something where the sessions and earlier versions will sell this album to me where I was just never into the original album very much.

Mezzer likes this.
  22. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Love Geno and really love No Other. I have all his releases. But good grief I'm retired without endless funds. I've already penciled
    in the Abbey Road box. I guess I'll have to settle for the 2 CD set.

23. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

24. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Well that got me to pull the trigger.

25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I still have a preorder with Amazon but purchased one from 4AD, the deluxe version.