Gene Clark Solo Albums-album by album & *now* track by track on p. 23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jan 23, 2018.

1. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Gotcha. This one's really great sound quality

love,
    Billy

zobalob, indigo_m and Guy E like this.
  2. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Hadn't listened to The Fantastic Expedition... for some years now & am listening this morning. Forgot what a gorgeous tune The Radio Song is, just beautiful.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Yes. I have that one too.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

IIRC this was a management decision, an attempt to piggyback the Gosdins on GC's Byrds celebrity.

zobalob and indigo_m like this.
  5. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I fell in love with Fantastic Expedition the first time I heard it, in a head shop/clothing store/record store (not so unusual back in the hippie days). Today I have it on my car USB drive, and listen to it at least once a month. Never get tired of it.

I always liken it to what Brian Eno said about The Velvet Underground and Nico--only 40,000 people bought a copy, but they all started a band. In the case of Fantastic Expedition, everyone who bought it started a country-rock band.

6. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

As great as his bands were, the recent releases of Gene’s solo demos are a revelation. Voice and acoustic guitar — stunning stuff.

One In A Hundred

7. lemonade kid

Still a fine one. But I hear ya!

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

No Other is the only one I have. I dig it!

indigo_m, lemonade kid and bzfgt like this.
  9. lemonade kid

That'll be here in a couple weeks....

indigo_m likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Kudos for keeping the pace reasonable.

AlienRendel and indigo_m like this.
  11. lemonade kid

You bet.

I am sorry I had forgotten to place Dillard & Clark's "Fantastic Expedition..." ahead of "White Light", therefore those two were posted one right after the other within 24 hours.

:doh:

Taking time to get love and comments for both, for a week or so.

Then of course it was kindly pointed out that I also left out Dillard & Clark's second LP before posting "White Light" also. That will be up next later this week.

Then Gene's opus, "No Other" the following week. I do consider all his post Byrds efforts worthy of this thread (so I am considering including his efforts with former Byrds also, McGuinn Clark & Hillman, etc. Especially given the fact that Gene was the only one who really seriously showed up for those sessions...as far as quality effort goes). And his Carla Olson pairing too. So fine.

I'll try to keep things in better order now, but I'm counting on you all to keep me in check!

:tiphat:

12. bzfgt

I spun No Other today...I shall try to have some thoughts when we reach it.

indigo_m likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

Although it's not my favorite Dillard & Clark album, it has my favorite D & C tracks by Gene & some great covers.

Through the Morning, Through the Night

Through the Morning, Through the Night is the second and final album from the country rock duo Dillard & Clark, released in 1969.

The musicians included country rock and folk rock pioneers Gene Clark, Doug Dillard, Bernie Leadon, Chris Hillman, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Byron Berline, and Michael Clarke. However, the addition of Dillard's girlfriend Donna Washburn as a full-time harmony vocalist (and lead vocalist on "Rocky Top"), replacing Leadon, caused Leadon to leave the group and join Hillman, Clarke and Kleinow in the Flying Burrito Brothers, although he, Hillman and Kleinow appear as "special pickers" on the album.

The core band on this album included Clark, Dillard, Washburn, David Jackson, fiddler Byron Berline, and drummer Jon Corneal, who had quit the Burritos, which made room for Clarke to join them. The large number of cover songs included on the album caused critical reaction to be decidedly less positive than on the prior album. As a result, Gene Clark also left the band after the album. Although Doug Dillard tried to continue the group as the Doug Dillard Expedition, the group soon came to an end.

The tracks "Through the Morning, Through the Night" and "Polly" were covered by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant on their 2007 collaboration Raising Sand. --wiki

[​IMG]

indigo_m and AlienRendel like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Dillard & Clark's second outing was a disappointment in relation to their far more eclectic and original prior effort, The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark. The primary difference is that whereas the earlier record had leaned on Gene Clark's original compositions, and a reasonably adventurous attitude toward country-rock fusion in general, the follow-up saw them turning into a much more traditional folk/bluegrass act. In part this was due to the addition of guitarist Donna Washburn on harmony and occasional lead vocal, and the departure of Bernie Leadon. But in the main, it was because Clark wrote just four of the tracks, surrounded by covers of songs by Reno & Smiley, Bill Monroe, the Everly Brothers, and even the Beatles' "Don't Let Me Down" (which is actually one of the better songs on the album). Taken on its own, it's a fair, pleasant, heavily bluegrass-flavored outing with few surprises. The Clark originals sound considerably more personal and contemporary than the more traditional tunes, though Clark's "Corner Street Bar" was a surprisingly dreadful comic barroom lament. Either the band didn't realize that Clark's voice and compositions were their greatest potential assets, or Clarkhimself was not assertive enough in pushing himself to the forefront. --
    ©AllMusic Review by Richie Unterberger

Through The Morning, Through The Night...wonderful

AlienRendel and bzfgt like this.
  15. lemonade kid

Polly...pretty fine. Gene's songs were needed on the rest of this album to make it as great as the first, but it was not to be.

indigo_m and bzfgt like this.
  16. lemonade kid

During his career and after his death, Clark's songs have been covered by a number of artists.

Iain Matthews was an early promoter of Clark's songs, covering "Polly" on his 1972 album
    Journeys from Gospel Oak and "Tried So Hard" on his 1974 album Some Days You Eat the Bear. "Tried So Hard" was later covered by Yo la Tengo on Fakebook in 1990. Death in Vegas and Paul Weller covered his song "So You Say You Lost Your Baby" on their 2003 album Scorpio Rising. In 1993 the Scottish band Teenage Fanclub recorded a tribute entitled "Gene Clark" on their album Thirteen.

In 2007, two of his songs were recorded by
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant on the T-Bone Burnett–produced Raising Sand: "Polly Come Home" and "Through the Morning, Through the Night." Also in 2007, Chris and Rich Robinson released a live version of "Polly" on their album Brothers of a Feather: Live at the Roxy. This Mortal Coil covered "Strength of Strings" from his album No Other and "With Tomorrow" from his album White Light. Soulsavers with Mark Lanegan recorded a version of "Some Misunderstanding" from No Other on their 2009 release, Broken. Title Tracks recorded a version of "She Don't Care About Time" on its 2010 release, It Was Easy. The song has also been covered by Sex Clark Five and Flamin' Groovies. The song "Gorgeous" from Kanye West's 2010 album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is based on elements of The Turtles' cover of "You Showed Me".
    --wiki

Still this is a good one covered with Gene's aways wonderful voice...

So Sad

AlienRendel likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

So your thoughts on this outing guys...

:tiphat:

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I always really dug this album. It was one of the first bluegrass records I got and turned me on to that. Get a big kick put of Rocky Top. Sorry.

19. lemonade kid

Never apologize for any music we love!! It is a good album, just not their best, but that is an opinion too!

Rfreeman and bzfgt like this.
  20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I like this album well enough, has some great GC songs - also has his worst ever song but moving swiftly along...

bzfgt likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

ROADMASTER..corrected! Thanks to our good friend Vangro!

Initially only released in Holland

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Hold on, did you do "Roadmaster"?

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

Roadmaster is a country rock album by Gene Clark released in 1973. The album was compiled from various unreleased recordings for A&M Recordsmade in 1970 through 1972. Eight tracks yielded from an April 1972 recording session featuring Clarence White, Chris Ethridge, Spooner Oldham, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Byron Berline and Michael Clarke;[2] two tracks ("One in A Hundred" and "She's the Kind of Girl") derived from an unissued single reassembling the five original Byrds prior to their 1973 reunion album; and the remaining track, "Here Tonight", had been recorded with The Flying Burrito Brothers.[2] Initially released in the Netherlands and Germany only on the A&M subsidiary Ariola, it was reissued on compact discfor the American market in 1994.

--wiki

jricc and bzfgt like this.
  24. bzfgt

Rocky Top is a great song, the only reasons not to like it here are 1. can't top Sonny Osborne singing it, and 2. too many versions in general.

"Through the Morning, Through the Night" and "Polly" are the two best songs from either D&C album but the rest is just solid, not great. Partly, again, it's overexposed songs done to death by everyone ever, particularly Roll in my Sweet Baby's Arms. And the Everlys to me nuked any future covers of "So Sad" with their version. But none of these are bad songs per se, or bad performances either.

The Dillards actually added to the bluegrass canon with "Old Home Place," and Doug left to get rock and rolling and winds up subtracting from the bluegrass canon here! Well, not really, but they haven't really dug up any unknown classics but done some solid and respectable cover work of mostly standards. A conservative album in some ways although since Clark wasn't a bluegrasser it may have all been relatively novel to him.

Also Clark is definitely one of my favorite singers, but as a bluegrass singer he's not going to make you forget Carter Stanley or even Red Smiley. So I have mixed feelings but I think it's all at least pretty decent (the Corner Bar thing could probably go).

Kansas City Southern is killer too.

Man at C&A and AlienRendel like this.
  25. lemonade kid

Thanks, Vangro!