Gene Clark With the Gosdin Brothers reissued on Sundazed CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The amazing thing is that the whole crowd seems to know exactly what he's talking about.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

+1

3. I found this reissue this past week, and wanted input comparing its' SQ to the Sundazed reissue discussed in this thread if anybody has both.

This UK Edsel reissue is from 1988 with no bonus tracks.

It seems to be a nice transfer from tapes, plenty of nice tape hiss as cuts fade out. Stereo.

And the irony is, I found Chris Hillman's debut reissue at the same time, it being released in 1981 on Sugar Hill.

It does have 4 unissued tracks, 3 on side one and 1 on side two.

4. Calling all Gene Clark savants:angel:

5. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Unfortunately I don't have the answer (only own the Sundazed LP) but I do have a question - is there a lot of sibilance on all copies of this album, or is the Sundazed just cut very hot? I know Gene had issues with sibilance later in life due to dental problems but I've never heard anyone complain about it on his earlier records. Listening to an "s"-heavy track like "So You Say You've Lost Your Baby" is a little grating, it's a shame too as this reissue sounds fantastic otherwise.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think the Sundazed disc sounds great. I like the fat low end and clear mids. DCC worthy IMO, that said I've never compared it to any other version of the original stereo mix.

7. Maybe others can comment as this thread gets pulled up on searches.

8. randolphr

randolphr Forum Resident

Clarence White's guitar on Tried So Hard ....... pheeewww !!!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Thanks for the tip -- I just bought "The French Girl" from them as a digital download. It appears to be a needledrop, but better than the version on YouTube. Mono.

--Phil

10. How does the stereo reissue on Sundazed compare to the mono reissue on Sony from 1990?

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's been a very long time since I've heard it, but I recall the Sony disc sounding muddy, at least compared to my '67 mono LP.

12. Thanks. I have been thinking about picking up the mono disc but didn't want to pull the trigger until i had some insight into the sound of it.

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

ISnt there a version where Gene re-recorded the vocals on this album? If so what version is that and is there any reason to seek it out?

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's not that great...the thing was remixed as well and it was a pointless exercise in my opinion...

15. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Early L.A. Sessions had a revamped running order, new vocals and was thoroughly, and at times, bizarrely, remixed. 'Elevator Operator' was dropped.

Here is 'Echoes' with the 1972 vocal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugE-mKm-fM&feature=fvsr

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

And one track, Tried So Hard, was not even a remix with new vocals but an alternate take... the same alternate take that now appears as a bonus track on the Sundazed CD.

Echoes is the one song where I prefer the new 1972 vocals. I like hearing him sing it in a more natural voice, as compared to the heavy Dylan influence on his 1966 vocals.

18. I never heard the Sundazed but noticed last week the UK CD reissue of Echoes, released on Northworld/Sony (2012) had dropped dramatically in price on Amazon UK (even more so with the sellers) so I could not resist purchase and picked up a copy (delivered) for about £2.60 last week. What a bargain - great music at a super price!

[​IMG]

Note the (difficult to read) **Remixed & ** Previously unreleased confusion at the bottom of the (non caps and missing times) track list.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So I am thinking based on above discussion that if you have this then the things on Echoes that are worth having too (other than Byrds stuff) are:

French Girl (for stereo w/o extr vox)
    Only Colombe (for stereo w/o extr vox)
    Both versions of So You Say You Lost Your Baby (one for stereo w/o extra vox, one to avoid grating guitar sound)
    Is Your Is Mine (extra acoustic gtr)
    If You're Gone (where is this track from?)

Are there other Echoes remixes that are particularly distinct in an interesting or good way from the Sundazed one?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.