Genesis 180g Vinyl Reissues being released on August 3, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

Classic Genesis Albums Heading For 180g Vinyl Reissue

This series is to include all of the studio albums except From Genesis to Revelation and will be released in Europe on August 3rd. According to the band's Facebook page, Lamb and the post-Abacab albums will be released in North America during Fall of this year. Unfortunately, neither the article nor the Facebook post indicate which mixes these reissues will use. They'll likely just be the remixes, methinks. If they are the remixes, then why can't they put them out on Blu-ray Audio or at least simply re-release the CD/DVD sets? I think the self-titled album is the only one that's still in print.

Mr. Explorer, sennj and lightbulb like this.
  2. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

They will also include a download card this time around according to the Facebook post. Will probably be the Nick Davis mixes again but I’m thinking of buying at least the Gabriel era albums if they are Hi-res files.

AndydD likes this.
  3. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

What makes these any different than the last reissues?

tug_of_war, Leonthepro and Dr. Funk like this.
  4. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

And didn’t they only get reissued most recently less than 2 years ago?

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

I believe so, but in the US at least, we only got all of the albums from Nursery Cryme through Abacab except for Lamb. I've only ever seen the albums up to Then There Were Three in person, but Duke and Abacab are listed in Discogs. Because the other albums that are being reissued weren't included in that first batch, it's very likely that these will end up being the remixes. Now that I'm thinking about it, these would probably get a lot more coverage if they were the original mixes.

6. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Weird. These haven't exactly been out of print.

However you feel about the remixes, the Rhino editions currently available in the US are very nice pressings, at least. Hopefully these will be too.

7. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

The Lamb is £20.99 at HMV U.K. but showing as £28.99 at Amazon U.K.

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Every two years another new digital remaster of these classic albums
    ( They will also include a download card ) assume the record will be a hard copy of the download
    just stick with my originals

DiabloG, hi_watt and sathvyre like this.
  9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont see any reason to buy these.

AidanB, dennis1077, yesstiles and 4 others like this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Because those formats are mostly dead. I'm sure these will be the remixes.

Maybe in a few years they'll wring a few last dollars from the catalog by doing an "original mixes back in print!" reissue program. But probably only over Tony Banks' dead body.

11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

So these are the remixes, is that certain? Only interested if they are original mixes. Even then, not a lot of interest.

12. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I’d like crackle and pop free copies of a couple, but again only interested in the original mixes....

Bigbudukks likes this.
  13. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

According to Burning Shed, they are the remixes.

Plan9 and marcb like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Unfortunately vinyl is a still somewhat of a money maker these days - and reissues of physical media (particularly reissues of BD-A and DVD box sets) are not.

Get used to it folks. We’re not that far from things not being released on physical digital media.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I just finished my Genesis collection off with Calling All Stations like two years ago. This new one has a side.four etching. Did the previous one? I honestly cant remember. I never opened it. :)

CBS 65780 likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

I dont think physical media will ever disappear completely.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

No fewer than 14 albums in the storied catalogue of Genesis — representing their entire studio LP output with the exception of their 1969 debut — are to be reissued on high-quality, “lifetime” 180 gram vinyl on 3 August.

Oh, ok...I see now. These are on “lifetime” vinyl. It’s about time. o_O

18. Leonthepro

I really wish we would get over this 180 gram hype. I would be lying if I said I didnt enjoy the feeling of holding a heavy record but it really gets to me when even record shop owners exclaim with a serious face "180 gram always sounds better".

steviebee and Plan9 like this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I know. It’s really ridiculous. It literally has no benefit IMHO. I’m sitting here wondering how much storage space I could get back if all these reissues were 140-150gm.

20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Kind of makes sense when you can download the exact same information.

21. krisjay

The good news is, original pressings(of any record really), technically can be had for relatively cheap. If you are willing to spend 30 dollars or so on a digital remaster and or remix, in many cases it is far better to grab a NM or even VG+ original for the same 30 dolars, sometimes a bit more, many times a bit less. I'd wager more times than not, the NM original will sound better than the reissue. Of course I'm not including specific instances when a reissue was done with high quality and great care, then, it may or may not be better than an original. Obviously no absolutes.

kwadguy, Tyler Chastain, Tojo and 2 others like this.
  22. John Moschella

There may be some benefit in maintaining flatness over time, but that is about it.

23. John Moschella

I agree that the originals will sound better but you may be hard press to get UK copies of Foxtrot, Cryme etc for $30, at least in the US.

Leonthepro likes this.
  24. krisjay

No absolutes, true. You could get a UK, VG+ Porky , 1U for probably 40-45 dollars. They have started to rise in value from even a couple years ago though, most likely only to keep rising, unless we do get original mix, analog cut, reissues.

25. Leonthepro

They will keep rising, record value almost never drops, it only rises with time and demand, especially originals.