Genesis 180g Vinyl Reissues being released on August 3, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jul 9, 2018.

1. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Yes and yes. Curiously I couldn't find anything on the packaging indicating the Davis remix was used but the end is missing the "No business like show business" outro which I believe only happens on the Davis remixes. All IMO but the bass pedal is much more pronounced and noticeable in this version than any other version I have. Discogs also lists it as remixed and remastered.

Metalrob likes this.
  2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

Just a heads up for anyone trying to buy the 2015 US Wind & Wuthering from Insounds; both copies that I received from them were warped. I'm keeping one of them since the warpage didn't affect the sound quality, but I have to return the other copy since it kept wavering in pitch. And Then There Were Three and Nursery Cryme had no problems.

3. Anaon

Anaon Forum Resident

Sorry I'm not an expert at all about pressings but I only need Calling All Stations in my collection, which one should I get, the 2016 reissue or the new one?

Many thanks ;)

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I bought 2 of my favorite (Foxtrot and Trick of the Tail) on Hackett website, only because they were signed (unsigned I can find cheaper in states).
    Not very interested in later records, and SEBtP was not available on Hackett site.

5. DiabloG

If the new ones are still being done by Miles at Abbey Road, the 2016 version should be just fine. However, the newer reissue includes a free WAV download, which I'm guessing is the redbook layer of the SACD.

6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Does anyone know if these new 2018 reissues finally have textured covers for Tresspass, Cryme, Foxtrot and Wind and wuthering ?
    (In the previous vinyl batch, only Wind and wuthering had a texture cover like the original, and then it was only the version in the box set, not the stand alone re-release ! )

7. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

No textured cover for Trespass, but it does have the Pink Scroll label.
    I also just bought The Lamb and Duke. Duke has a poly- lined inner but unfortunately TLLDOB has glossy printed paper(ish) sleeves housing the lps. I know this is as per the originals but it would have been nice to have the printed inners as inserts and poly- liners for the records. Ah well.
    Duke mentions the "paradigm process" in the run out but The Lamb says "Miles. Abbey Rd Room 30."
    The download for The Lamb is missing four tracks- Hairless Heart to The Chamber Of 32 Doors- or at least mine was both times I downloaded it!
    I have emailed SoundOfVinyl...
    Still, I am glad to have these, albeit the remixes.
    It is still some of my most beloved music in whichever version. The vinyl sounds much nicer than the cd remixes...it really does, and these pressings are better IMHO than the last couple of goes around here (England)
    The last batch in 2015 were not so good.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Zongadude likes this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

So did the previous vinyl version.
    Thank you for your answers.
    My daughter has bought the 2018 Selling England, signed by Steve Hackett. It sounds very good to my ears. The lyric insert is kind of dark green, while in the previous re-issue it was brown. Don't know what was the original colour of the UK insert in 1973.

9. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Has anyone yet compared the WAV downloads to the CDs? Wondering if they're the same mastering, which in several cases was not great.

10. shygurudave

Zongadude, post: Don't know what was the original colour of the UK insert in 1973.
    All the ones I have seen were black. The eighties mid- price reissue didn't have it. I remember German imports from around the same time with the red and green Virgin labels that had the lyrics on a brown background inside a gatefold sleeve.

Zongadude likes this.
  11. shygurudave

Yes I am pretty certain they are...:mudscrying:

12. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Jeeez! I'll stick to my late 1970's copy!!

13. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

You do right, the new one sounds poor to me compared to the 70’s pressings.

14. DiabloG

Okay, I had some time to compare the CD versions of Wind and ATTWT to their vinyl counterparts (well, personal needledrops in this case). My finding is that there wasn't a big difference with the compression, but the vinyl had slightly more breathing room. I didn't get any listening fatigue with the vinyl, whereas the CDs had a harsh and abrasive sound right from the get-go. Now here's how the fatigue comes into play; the CDs slightly bump up the low-mid bass and give a massive boost to the treble starting at 3kHz. Classic severe smiley-EQ. For anyone who thinks the CDs are too bright, this is why. Now the question is why didn't Tony Cousins just leave the finished mixes alone when mastering the CDs? It probably wouldn't have made a huge difference, but I guarantee you that there wouldn't have been as many complaints about the remixes if that were the case. Anyway, do I think the vinyl is better? Yeah, even though I still prefer the original mixes overall. Say what you will about the compression, but the lack of a giant high-end boost really did make a difference for me. However, if you absolutely cannot stand any compression whatsoever, then I wouldn't recommend these reissues. If you guys want, I can post some samples from my needledrops. If so, please let me know what tracks you want to hear. I've got Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and all of the 1976-1982 albums except for Trick. For reference purposes, here are the EQ charts I made for Wind and Three:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Thanks for offering. I'd love to hear Afterglow. I have the Sacd, but I generally listen to the original mix on CD. I'm curious to hear a vinyl rip of the remix. Otherwise, any other track of your choice would work!

16. DiabloG

I've uploaded some samples to Dropbox. I used a Pioneer PL-7 connected to a Behringer U-Phono UFO202 and recorded the playback through Audacity. While the samples are only 16/44, they should still give a good idea on how these reissues sound.

Nursery Cryme
    The Return of the Giant Hogweed
    The Fountain of Salmacis

Foxtrot
    Watcher of the Skies
    Supper's Ready

Wind and Wuthering
    Eleventh Earl of Mar
    Afterglow

And Then There Were Three
    Down and Out
    Many Too Many

Duke
    Heathaze
    Duke's Travels

Abacab
    Abacab
    Man on the Corner

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    granata, chrischerm, albertop and 3 others like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice job DG, Abacab samples sound nice. Peaks and Valley's are present which is a good sign :)

DiabloG likes this.
  18. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Just received Genesis today. (Abbey Road 1/2 speed 180g) Blown away by the sound. Much better than the original lp I purchased back in 83 when it was first released.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Thanks, good to know. Has the whole catalog been given the Abbey Road 1/2 speed treatment?

20. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Looks like so:

Genesis Vinyl at Elusive Disc

misteranderson likes this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Could someone clarify if these are original mixes or the remixes versions that people weren't too happy about?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  22. DiabloG

They're the remixes.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I don't see Trespass there.

I'd like Trespass and The Lamb from this series, because I never see a good used copy of The Lamb, or *any* used copy of The Lamb. Ever. No US, let alone UK. And every other G album is represented, easily available, and affordable. My Trespass is an ABC/Impulse! copy, and that's all I ever see 'round here.

24. DiabloG

I picked this up from Barnes and Noble last night, looking forward to hearing it. From what I remember, this was one of the better remixes, but the brightness and limiting made it such a chore to listen to. As a side note, I got the US Rhino version, and it unfortunately doesn't include a download code. I've already got the CD/DVD set, so I guess it doesn't really matter for this album, but if you want a download with the vinyl, you'll have to snag the European editions.

misteranderson likes this.
  25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I have the Genesis 1983-1998 Red Box on vinyl from late 2015. It was released accidentally as 140g but then corrected as 180g. I have the 180g version. See this entry:

Genesis - 1983 - 1998

Are these new 2018 releases basically the same? I listened again to mine and they sound good. Better than the original cds and probably better than the sacd's although I didn't compare those.
    Don't know if they beat original vinyl though. Probably won't ever spend the money to find out.

As for Lamb, I have all the Classic 200g versions which are amazing. So don't care about the new one.