Genesis 180g Vinyl Reissues being released on August 3, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Is there some reason why Trespass is $10 more on Amazon than the others? I was (perhaps foolishly) contemplating picking it up just out of sheer boredom but not for $35.

In regards to the aforementioned "genesis" album (one of my personal faves), my original didn't have much life to it. The remixed vinyl has some chutzpah. Sometimes chutzpah isn't enough but in this particular case I'll take it.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I was in one of my local B&Ns yesterday. Saw Genesis and Invisible Touch in the new reissue series. I asked about Trespass, and was told it would be an online-only thing. They will stock The Lamb when it comes out in a couple weeks.

Unlike some other half-speed mastered Abbey Road releases, the Genesis ones don't have the cardboard obi-style thing on the spine, just a simple little silver sticker stating they're done at 1/2 speed by Miles Showell at Abbey Rd.

3. Daniel Plainview

Well, I picked a few more of these remixed titles up. I had Foxtrot and Selling England (just for Hackett auto from his website) but got restless and bought a few more just for the hell of it. But my God is there a confusing mess of pressings out there or what? It's a total crap shoot what you will receive when you order online. I ordered a bunch from Amazon. Here's what I ended up with:

Trespass - Halogram sticker on back, no hype on front GENLPY1
    Nursey Cryme - hologram sticker on back no hype on front GENLPY2
    Trick of the Tail - silver hype sticker on front, textured jacket, Rhino logo R1 187964
    Wind and Wuthering - silver hype sticker on front, textured jacket, Rhino logo R1 18866B

My Selling England is the 2018 pressing with UMC symbol on back.
    Foxtrot has a brown hype sticker, Rhino logo, white spine (are they all like this???)

Regardless of these variations the music inside should all be the same, right? Just a matter of fine print, right? RIGHT??!!

It doesn't matter. I'm not going to lose sleep over these inconsistencies. Maybe.

I have Lamb and ...Three en route. Sure to be a surprise!

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

The Lamb I received is a 2018. The other records I received had the records in protective sleeves and separate custom sleeves. This lamb has records in the custom sleeves and they have several scuffs because of it. Also lots of spotty areas in the vinyls. None of the other records has this milky way stuff going on. Sounds ok, though, but I will replace the sleeves asap.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Also, is it to much to ask Amazon to not warp the vinyl? I swear 8/10 lps I get from them are less than flat. I can ignore a little warp, but this Wind and Wuthering is on the borderline of me requesting a replacement.

6. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

Really not necessary and a waste of money. The german 1st pressing is better than the Classic Records.

Metalrob likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I highly doubt that. The only possible contendor is probably the UK Porky cut.
    My classic beat my old Canadian press at least.

8. Leonthepro

By the way, I one upped you a while ago by getting one for 25£ ;^)

richbdd01 likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sadly I returned my copy. It was scuffed like hell by the inner sleeves. I may pick up another original now as the Porky prime cut sounded pretty good.

Leonthepro likes this.
  10. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

There's no doubt. I bought the classic records for cheap back in the day and my german 1st press beats it and is very quiet. By the way it is not easy to find a Porky that is not noisy.

Shak Cohen and Metalrob like this.
  11. Leonthepro

Considering the inferior source used, less time given for mastering and perfecting I dont see how it could. I suppose you just enjoy its presentation more.

12. Leonthepro

Too bad. I bought mine as a G+ but suspected it could be cleaned since the sleeve was NM. I was right and its a near perfect player now. Real happy.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It was very dark green. The UK original, original actually had a thick card lyric inner sleeve, not the later double-sided insert.

Zongadude likes this.
  14. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Has anyone picked up the HMV (UK) exclusive Duke on clear vinyl?

15. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

If we were talking about SEBTP I would agree, but we are not. Here the UK porky beats the german pressing, but it also beats the SEBTP Classic records issue. But good for you, that you are enjoying your Porky of Lambs.

16. Leonthepro

The SEBTP German press sounds great. But Im confused, Are you saying the Porky is better than the German Lamb? And I dont have a Porky.

17. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

No, we were talking about Lamb and I have compared the german Lamb to the Porky cut and to the Classic cut. My conlusion was that the german Lamb beats both, the Classic and the Porky. The Classic is too EQed in the lows and highs and the Porky has to much midrange. The german cut is the most balanced. But it is a matter of taste or at least my taste. So, I would not agree about your statement of inferiour source etc. I don't know from where you have this information? The mastering is different, that is right.

So I thought you have the Porky and compared it to the Classic and the German cut. But it seems not so.

Concerning SEBTP I was only stating, that the Porky cut beats the German SEBTP in this case and it beats the Classic SEBTP.

18. Leonthepro

Just from what we know they rarely sent out master tapes to different countries. So its using some number of generations down, unlike the Porky and Classic.

19. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

That is not confirmed and only your guesswork. By the way it seems that your other statements are guesswork too, if you only have heard the Classic cut. I can recommend the german cut to you. So buy it and make your own comparisons and experiences and then comeback. It makes no sense to talk about what you seem to know or read somewhere. Trust only your ears!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I hear so many people saying this and that pressing is better than Classic Records, but ones I have tried have never been better either sound or pressing quality. I prefered the Classic LZII to a UK plum which is not a common opinion on this forum. SEBT requires nice quiet surfaces which is were the original 180 gram Classic pressing I have scores heavily.

21. Leonthepro

No, its an educated guess, and its whats most likely true. Ive heard several lambs including the German and was never as impressed as with the Classic. Its well recorded so it usually all sounds good though. And I trust more than my ears, such as reason.

22. Classicrock

When these Genesis Lps were first cut Miles had not joined Abbey Road (sure he was still at Metropolis). His latest half speed cuts also use a new lathe and cutting set up that Abbey Road installed in 2017. If they have Abbey Road in the deadwax it's likely the latest versions are recuts.

23. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

If it is true or not is not confirmed. I have heard many classic records cuts that sounds worse than originals even if they may used the master tapes. Who knows. A good example here is LZ III ;-)

But, if you heard the german and the porky and you like Classic more then it is a matter of taste. The Classic sounds not bad at all but for my taste it lacks midrange and is EQed. But if we are both happy, then everything is fine.

24. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

Yes, sometimes it is right. It is not true to say every original cut is better than a Classic cut and vice versa. But there are classic cuts that a worse. LZ III. For LZ II I prefer the RL cut. But this is matter of taste as well.

Between I have a SEBTP Porky in EX condition. No surface noise that gets on your nerves. No need for the classic cut.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  25. Classicrock

More likely Classic is a flat transfer and original has more EQ applied. George Peckham did some fine sounding vinyl but he did pep the sound up a bit to give it more presence. Records weren't cut to satisfy on £20K turntables but aimed at your average stereo console owner. 'Porky Prime Cut' is usually a sign of a good sounding pressing however.