Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

That's very possible, however, the data is NOT presented in chronological order. As I make clear in the introduction:

The scope here is to try to identify all the various versions that the forum has uncovered....

The reference point for all discussions is the Nimbus-made version on the Virgin/Charisma label (where that information is available, it is presented first). This will be referred to as V/C Nimbus. Similarly, other V/C versions will be identified by their manufacturer. This thread will, hopefully, highlight the problem of simply referring to a generic ‘V/C’ version for some titles.

So, the DADC could be a shifted clone of the Atlantic or vice-versa, the important thing is that they share the same mastering.

2. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

I would give anything to find the DADC Picture Disc of Selling England in that Box Set. Even with the same mastering as the atlantic, it sure looks nice, but I have not seen a copy for sale in a long time.

3. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

I guess I got lucky, I have this one. I bought it from ebay a year ago from France, in a batch of 4-5 Genesis CDs all with "Compact Price" in a banner on the top right corner (and grey borders round the artwork).

4. fishyboots

fishyboots Forum Resident

LQQk what I found

As above........ LQQK what I found on e-bay for 20.20(shipping inc.)..
    for those that may not know & to those that do..
    here is what I received...

~ Trespass ~ MCAD-1653 (I am on the hunt of the V/C version)

~ Nursery Cryme ~ CASCD-1052
    ~ Foxtrot ~ CASCD-1058
    ~ Selling England.. ~ CASCD-1074
    ~ The Lamb Lies Down.. ~ CGSCD-1

~ The Lamb Lies Down...~ DE Remaster (Atlantic-82677-2)..
    ....(something to turn a few NEWbies to.)

YES... LIFE IS GRAND

Fish

5. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I found one a couple years ago on Ebay, so they do show up every now and then. What I'd like to find is the DADC Picture Disc of The Lamb.

I've also got the other DADC box with Trespass, Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot picture discs.

6. Black Elk

7. Black Elk

Voila: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=192743

8. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Made in Holland masterings?

I recently picked up one of the 3 picture disc box sets of Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot from a seller in Canada. However this is in a different design box and contains discs manufactured in Holland rather than the usual box with the Austria discs.

[​IMG]

This picture was from the seller of the set. I don't have my camera with me at the moment, but I can get pictures of the individual cases & discs later if anyone is interested.

Anyway, what's most surprising to me is that the EAC numbers don't match any of the masterings mentioned above. Obviously it's more likely that these are merely level-shifts from one of the known masterings rather than anything truly unique, but it was surprising nonetheless:

Trespass: 98.8% - 97.3% - 98.8% - 89.0% - 53.4% - 97.5%
    Nursery Cryme: 98.8% - 56.7% - 98.8% - 98.8% - 98.8% - 51.3% - 98.8%
    Foxtrot: 98.8% - 97.2% - 98.8% - 98.8% - 93.6% - 98.8%

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Are the discs white on top?

10. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Interesting score!

11. Black Elk

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade, but these EAC levels match the DE discs! If you were expecting (or led to believe that you would be getting) original pressings, you need to contact the seller! Are they actually picture discs?

12. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

No rain on this parade, I got it for a good price. :)

Yes, they are actually picture discs. Looks basically the same as the picture discs in the V/C Austria SEBTP/TLLDOB box set I also picked up. I wasn't aware that there had ever been a picture disc set done of any of the DEs.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If the front artwork doesn't have the gray borders then they're the yucky DE's.

14. Black Elk

It doesn't matter about the artwork, those EAC levels match the DEs exactly.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I know, because they don't have the gray borders.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I was rather fortunate to pick up both of the French collector boxes, featuring the pre-remasters for the first five Charisma studio albums, picture disc DADC copies therein. Also have a spare SEBTP too as it happens, also DADC picture disc. Quite a few turn up around Edinburgh at times. The two boxes I picked up off Ebay I think.

17. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

No way, Dude.:D

IIRC, they most likely were released at the same time.

18. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Because I don't have the time to read through every Genesis thread, can someone point out to me which version of From Genesis To Revelation is a clone of the DCC mastering, please?

A picture of the cover would help too as this album has had a bazillion different covers over the years!!

It would be much appreciated.

19. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like there is a straight out clone of the DCC, but apparently the Disky version is very close. I got this info from the first page of this thread.

Maybe someone else will post a pic (I only have the DCC).

20. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

An ABACAB Update...from Canada...just what the heck do I have here?

Atlantic 19313 (Cinram #910210CC on Hub) :
    67.6 % - 67.6 % - 64.3 % - 68.2 % - 70.7 % - 69.2 % - 49.4 % - 70.7 % - 70.7 %

None of these numbers are even close to any of the others? Super early press? Mispress? Do I have EAC setup wrong?

Appreciate any comments...

Cheers,

VP

21. Black Elk

It looks to be a shifted version of:

Version 3
    [Jeff] - Atlantic WEA : 95.5% - 95.5% - 90.9% - 92.0% - 95.5% - 93.4% - 66.7% - 95.5% - 95.5%

but the shift is not constant. The first three tacks are shifted by the same factor, then the next six tracks are shifted by a different constant factor.

Boaz likes this.
  22. Jeff Carney

The 1995 Teichiku Japan pressing of From Genesis To Revelation:

23. Jeff Carney

24. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I founded today Invisible Touch (Virgin). This is Picture CD with catalog number GENPCD 2. The CD is dated 1986. Matrix show me: GENCD-2 11A3 Mastered by DADC Austria. Also DADC Austria is on face. CD have the same picture as front cover.

EAC log:
    So looks like this Picture CD have the same Holland and Nimbus mastering as well.

25. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Hi again,

I would like to add some data pressing information and peak levels of my copies. I could in found this information in this thread so I decided to post mine.

[​IMG]

Genesis - We Can't Dance (Virgin Japan, VJCP-25066) [no barcode, only date: 91-11-7, maybe first press?][Matrix: VJCP-25066 1A2 C 1X]

97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.2% - 97.3% - 97.3% - 97.3%

-------------
    [​IMG]

Genesis - Duke (Virgin Records, Made In W.Germany, CBRCD 101, without barcode, silver face of disc, Sonopress pressing][Matrix: SONOPRESS C-7569/CBRCD101 A]

74.2% - 97.9% - 45.8% - 91.5% - 95.4% - 97.6% - 95.9% - 82.6% - 94.3% - 77.9% - 88.0% - 81.5%

--------------
    [​IMG]

Genesis - Abacab (Virgin/Charisma, Manufactured in the U.K but no data of manufacturer, disc looks like UK PDO discs, CBRCD 102, silver face, no barcode, 2 page of booklet only, manufacture date 1987, only Virgin records logo on disc) [Matrix: 800044 2 01]

100.0% - 100.0% - 93.0% - 94.1% - 100.0% - 95.6% - 68.3% - 98.8% - 98.5%

(Peaks are the same as "Targets" press and "Swirl variations")

--------------
    [​IMG]

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering (Virgin/Charisma, CDSCD 4005 also new catalog number on disc 00777 7 86441 2 5, has barcode, title of album have green font, not orange also tracklist is in green, Manufactured in Holland, no data of manufacturer) [Matrix: 786441 2 @ 2]

100.0% - 94.0% - 94.6% - 76.1% - 83.0% - 70.0% - 41.2% - 92.1% - 100.0%

Kind regards
    Mariusz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.