Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

That one I'd say is rare DG as with most US manufactured with that design. Pretty cool!

DiabloG likes this.
  2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Dang:

Vinyl Records, CDs, and More For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

:D

(Anyone know? Same mastering as the WG Target? Or maybe the same as the 2nd made by WEA US disc?)

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

US Polygram (PDO) liked to use their German counterparts. Just an educated guess but I'd think it would match the old German.
    An example, The Cure US PDO silver matches the old German for Head on The Door, old US Moody Blues Polygram's use the old Germans, etc..

kevin5brown likes this.
  4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Not to sidetrack, but I wish Barry was still on this forum, he was extremely knowledgeable in every facet of the recording process.

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If it's not too much trouble, is there anyone who can post a sample from Versions 2 and 3 of Foxtrot? I'd like to compare these masterings with the Nimbus CD.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Are you sure you mean Foxtrot?

7. DiabloG

Whoops, I was looking at Live instead. My mistake. Too much coffee this morning, I suppose! :D Anyhow, I meant to say Versions 2 and 3. I'll correct my previous post to reflect this.

8. Black Elk

Which song do you want?

9. DiabloG

Watcher of the Skies should do.

10. Black Elk

Here you go: http://www.filedropper.com/01watcherpdo

Ignore the crap at the top, just click on the Download This File button.

The disc does not actually say PDO anywhere, it just looks like a PDO disc, and is made in the UK. Matrix is: CLACD1 127981 03 %

Here's the discogs entry, and someone else clearly thinks it is a PDO disc too: Genesis - Live

11. c-eling

I would as well, the design + the %.

12. DiabloG

I don't remember if this was brought up before, but there's a V/C Trick that was manufactured by Disque Americ in Canada up on ebay right now. Do we have peaks for it?
    The back insert has Spanish in the bottom left-hand corner, so I think it's from Argentina or maybe Brazil.
    A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis (CD, EMI-Odeon) MADE IN CANADA | eBay

[​IMG]

Front 242 Addict and Marc 74 like this.
  13. Black Elk

Let us know when you've bought it! :laugh:

A few options:

1. it equals the Nimbus
    2. it will be 0.2 dB offset from the Nimbus (which we have seen for numerous Canadian pressings)
    3. it equals the Canadian Atco

Interestingly, the back cover is printed on white instead of yellow, and the '(C) 1984 CHARISMA RECORDS LTD.' text has disappeared from under the '(P) 1975 VIRGIN RECORDS LTD.' on the right side (notice that the disc says (P) 1976), while the Spanish text has been added on the left side. [Not sure why the older credit is for Virgin, since the album was originally released by Charisma.]

I presume titles meant for Brazil would have Portuguese text?

Front 242 Addict and DiabloG like this.
  14. DiabloG

No matter what, I can't imagine this CD having anything other than a varient of the V/C mastering. Still, it's weird because I'd assume that anything Canadian would be from Atco.

15. Black Elk

It's clearly made for export, not local sale.

The_Windmill likes this.
  16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Apologies, as I’ve not gone through the entire thread looking for the answer to this - but I recently found a copy of the Genesis “Genesis” album on a pale blue face Charisma/Virgin CD with no barcode and I picked it up as I have misplaced my standard 90’s issue CD which I bought back in the day.

This thing doesn’t sound good at all to me - I can best describe it as “grainy” and not as crisp as I remember the other version.

Anyone else got this CD or have we discussed it already?

17. LivingForever

Also - I’d previously been very impressed with the V/C “Trick” but on a recent run through with headphones, I noticed quite a lot of small dropouts and tape damage. I guess this is common knowledge- but it’s a shame!

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I think I may have it. I ordered a replacement a few months ago and it's a blue face. Not sure if it has a barcode. I'll check when I'm home (end of the week), don't recall it sounding grainy however.

19. Brother_Rael

I now favour the Canadian and the Japan for US Atcos. The former has a tad more bass.

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I have the real Charisma CD, never had any problems with it.

21. LivingForever

Interesting, is that the "Yellow rays" CD?

22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

23. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Bluface means early, possibly (but not certainly) German. I heard one version that sounded bad once, little soundstage and similar to what you describe. Can't remember what it was.

Just go for a UK mastering or a red swirl. They are basically the same with different levels (the swirl has pre-emphasis but it syncs so I'm *guessing* once decoded would be similar). Quite probably, your old CD was a Swindon or Uden, both clones of the Nimbus mastering.

24. Brother_Rael

Finally got round to listening to this yesterday and happy to report no grainy sounds here. I have the same type, made in West Germany. It does however have a very particular type of sound that I think was unique to that album that maybe influences your thoughts?

25. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The pale blue Genesis S/T is a clone of the blue swirl CD. So both made in WG by Polygram (the pale blue one was for the UK market). And both use pre-emphasis. Don't know if that causes the "grainy" sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.