Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

-One more thing. I bought a brand new copy of an early West German And Then There Were Three a few days ago. The catalog number is 800 059-2, and because only the Purple Swirl and Yellow Rays CDs use that number, I wanted to take a chance and buy it. This is the back insert:

[​IMG]

Is there any way to tell if it's either the Purple Swirl or Yellow Rays disc without opening it? FWIW, the one I bought has 'patent pending' in the bottom right corner, which means it's in a smooth jewel case. It was only $20, so I guess it doesn't matter which variation it ends up being. I probably would've payed that much even for badly scratched copies of those editions. :D Now I need to find a Yellow Rays Duke to replace my duller looking blue-face CD!

LeBon Bush and Marc 74 like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Can't help with how to determine which disc without opening, but if you managed to get an unopened Purple Swirl or Yellow Rays for $20 then I would say you did pretty well. An open Purple Swirl would be worth much more than $20!

This Purple Swirl shows Pat Pending:

[​IMG]

You could try contacting member Smooth (but he's changed his name here now), as he runs a site dedicated to Phil Collins pressings:

Home | Phil Collins and Genesis CD Library

He has 50 pressings of And Then There Were Three!

DiabloG likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Just found the info:

"Smooth would now like to be known as mscoll"

[Edit: looks like he has not been on the list since January.]

DiabloG likes this.
  4. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

If the case has 'patent pending' on it chances are good that you end up with the Purple Swirl. I had several Yellow Rays of the album and as far as I remember non of them had it on the back. Keep my fingers crossed for you.

DiabloG likes this.
  5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.