Genesis' Foxtrot. What's the problem with the reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If you are a huge lover of Foxtrot like me, then the UK Large Mad Hatter Charisma LP 1st Press is the way to go. A lovely sounding LP and way better than everything else.

2. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

The original 'Foxtrot' is indeed fine: early UK Charisma release with 'Porky' in the run-out is my go-to copy. A recent minty eBay purchase too (£16), so there are good versions to be had if you're patient (it helps when the seller isn't quite sure what version they're selling, so ask the right questions). For 'Trespass' and "Nursery Cryme' you need the pink scroll versions, and they definitely are pricey now (though I recently picked up another scroll copy of NC for £25).

The 'Porky/Pekco' cuts of SEBTP and TLLDOB are great too: I've never understood people's issues with these original vinyl releases, but late 70s reissues are not in the same league (especially Trespass and SEBTP).

In terms of CD versions, I wasn't a big fan or the early Charisma versions (though I know there is big love for them): I suspect it's because the tapes used for mastering were far removed from first generation. Oddly enough, 'Suppers Ready' on the recent Archive compilation is pretty good...

3. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Did I read somewhere on here that the original Lamb in the US has a hum during the quieter parts of the album?

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

same...my least favourite gabriel album...suppers ready doesnt do it for me.

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The first Porky cuts for the UK and US have hum thru the entire album.

6. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

All the Classic Records Genesis reissues are mandatory!

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I don't mind remixes. I don't like the Genesis remixes because of the compression. To me they sound terrible - way too loud, with a loss of dynamics. All the Steven Wilson remixes I've heard sound great. Wish he could have done the Genesis albums.

I like the Classic records lps very much, but the quality control is spotty.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

+1
    Some excerpts from the 5.1 remixes are not that bad, but the stereo ones are impossible to listen to without getting a headache and almost immediate ear fatigue (and I'm not an audiophile!).

GowG and grbl like this.
  9. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

This hum is present on the first Atlantic CD of The Lamb as well.

10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

...it's on the original V/C CD too.

11. That's right. I'm beginning to think I might be better off with the DE version after all (not to mention the old CD's fade-in on the opening track!)... I think this hum is slowly getting at me... that is back from day one of the original LP release! It was so prominent on it (UK Charisma) that I used to seriously think it was intended, like some artistic statement!

12. CybrKhatru

Not to get too far off from Foxtrot... but.. I have a needledrop of the Classic "Lamb" LP (original mix) and I don't recall the hum on that one!

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No hum on the Classic Lamb (or the German Charisma). In fact the hum's only on the UK first pressings iirc. In any case, regarding cd's I'd take the hum on the original 1980's cd's over the dreaded noise-reduction that's on the DE.

14. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

That's what I have, the initial UK pressing, bought when the album was first released. I've never noticed any hum... and I'm afraid to listen for it in case I can't un-hear it.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  15. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

As I recall...the hum is present in all pre-remix versions, like it or not, accept it or not. The reason it exists is a result of an equipment issue during the mixing of the original master. I never noticed it until it was mentioned during the period of the remixes, now if I try to hear it, it's there. It is an inherent artifact of the original master tape. When they went back to the the original source tapes for the remixes no such issue existed.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The Genesis reissues have suffered a problem: Dolby A or B was used when the albums were not.
    The master tapes for Nursery Cryme were damaged beyond repair as a result of their being played with the wrong Dolby.

The US Atlantic and Classic will evidence this.
    They both sound almost exactly alike! Side one eh, side two better.

Ironically, the same for Selling England By The Pound - Classic Records reissue.
    My notes were:
    "when Gabriel sings “old man says you are what you eat - eat well” there is a keyboard in the backround that is very noticeable on my UK original, but here almost completely non-existent."

Maybe your system is better.

17. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Best I've heard so far is the US red scroll label, sounds ten times better than UK.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Pink Scroll?

But "Foxtrot" was not released in a Pink Scroll in the UK.

19. CybrKhatru

I feel the same way. I still have an old V/C Lamb even though I scored the Classic needledrop :)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. CybrKhatru

My first version of The Lamb was the old V/C CD, purchased in 1986. I remember not really being aware of the hum until I found a nice US Atco LP (at the urging of a fan/record store owner) a few years later. It was cleaner and more dynamic than the CD issue.

When I DO play that V/C I've learned to listen past the hum :)

yesstiles likes this.
  21. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Can't comment on Foxtrot specifically but the recent vinyl reissues of SEBTP and W&W were fantastic to my ears, much better than the '94 DEs but those are the only other versions I have to compare to.

22. CybrKhatru

I really like the Classic Foxtrot LP....I haven't done an A-B with any of my other copies though!

23. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

No it wasn't and I didn't say that. I meant US pink scroll sounds better than a UK first press. Maybe I should have been clearer.

UK first label [​IMG]

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Dang. I'd take my UK Large Mad Hatter B&C any day over my US Buddha Pink Scroll. What do you like better about it?

MONOLOVER likes this.
  25. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

As I hear it the UK has partly too much treble and no real bottom. Not very bad but I though the US (which I sadly don't have anymore) sounded more even with better foundation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.