Genesis: Invisible Touch - What Would You Change?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Genesisfan88, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I'd replace Invisible Touch, Tonightx3 and Anything She Does with your three alternate tracks. I'd rename the album "Do the Neurotic".

2. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

Remove „Into Deep“, add „Do The Neurotic“.

Genesisfan88 likes this.
  3. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Drop off Land of Confusion

Find somewhere for Do The Neurotic, and it would be a much better record for me - I listen to it often enough but usually just songs, not front to back.

Genesisfan88 likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Of the three B-sides, I really like "Feeding The Fire", and really don't like the other two. So I guess I'd pull "Domino" for "Feeding The Fire".

5. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Oops, Actually Domino is one of the better tracks, I had forgotten because of how low on play list this one falls.
    I would much rather discard Throwing it All Away. It struggles to be trite.

6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Suspect that something similar happened with Yes. It's probably still active, but used to be an informative place to visit. Then group emails would arrive with cease & desist orders in regard to "Yes without Jon." It was a buzzkill. Trust me, you wouldn't have wanted to wander inside.

Then, as one might expect, that same hot air emerged here. On top of it, there would be "White vs. Bruford" debates ignited at the slightest provocation and often resulting in threads when that wasn't even close to the topic. Occasionally, there will be posts about the album, Talk, that almost nobody else cares about anywhere else but here.

Point being these are related groups from similar origins. A lot of the Yes Fans forum members probably made their way over here. Genesis is less contentious, but you have to watch. Some possess the Gabriel-era only snobbery, which only is ever self-serving and very likely not how events actually transpired during the time that it actually happened.

7. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I voted for the first 3 songs, because i'd replace them with their 12'' extended/remixed versions.
    Then, i'd substitute The Brazilian with its longer version which restores the original cold ending from the A History video.
    Then i'd add the 3 leftover tracks.

I once made a playlist that was much more satisfying than the album running order, it goes like this:

1. Invisible Touch (Extended Version)
    2. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (12" Remix)
    3. Land Of Confusion (Extended Version)
    4. Feeding The Fire
    5. Do The Neurotic
    6. In Too Deep
    7. Anything She Does
    8. In The Glow Of The Night (7'' Version)
    9. The Last Domino (7'' Version)
    10. Throwing It All Away
    11. I'd Rather Be You
    12. The Brazilian (Long Version)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I dearly love this album so as good as the other songs are, no changes from me.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a bugbear for a lot of people. I've always liked the Eighties sound though so it's a plus point for me.

Different strokes and all that. :)

TheLastVoice, Maurice and DiabloG like this.
  10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I put the three in this way:

FtF between LoC & ITD
    I'd Rather Be You "between sides"
    Neurotic between Domino & TIAA

Do need to get an audio version of Brazilian, I have History on VHS and only one working VCR these days. Likely will have to resort to other methods...

11. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think you will find that this forum is quite OK with you putting up Genesis threads provided you do a search beforehand. The issue is that some thread titles/propositions encourage the thread-crapping whereas some don't. If you have started with (for example 11 titles and asked people to vote for 8 for IT) then you might have reduced the opportunity for some to seek to obliterate the album from the Genesis catalogue (which in my experience about half of SHF would do). The GORTS are great at policing this stuff but it kind of derails a thread if they cannot say this is out of bounds...

Genesisfan88 likes this.
  12. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

What, like the Turn It On Again forum? What a misery that was. Very few regulars and one of them just seemed hell-bent on arguing about The Beatles FFS. Then I found this place which thankfully is Beatles-free. Oh hang on...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Genesisfan88 and carlwm like this.
  13. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Anyway, welcome to the sanatorium @Genesisfan88 - there's a lot of love for Genesis here.

I have voted for The Brazilian this round, assuming that there will be further rounds.

Genesisfan88 likes this.
  14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

The only thing I would have removed at the time was the Michelob commercials.

Dan

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  15. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

"Nylon sheets and blankets help to minimise the cold." Yeughh, what's this?

16. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Good call on the longer Brazilian, I'd forgotten about that ..

17. My only change would be to replace Anything She Does with I'd Rather Be You, but even that's a switch I can give or take...

18. manco

manco Forum Resident

That signature 80s production is inextricably tied to the perception of this LP, I wouldn't change a thing!

Purple and carlwm like this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Absolutely nothing. I love it just the way it is.

Okay, MAYBE an expanded edition with the b-sides added.

Purple, Maurice and carlwm like this.
  20. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I would've made it a double...

Invisible Touch 3.29
    Tonight Tonight Tonight 8.49
    In Too Deep 4.59

Land of Confusion 4.46
    Feeding The Fire 5.54
    The Brazilian 4.49

I'd Rather Be You 3.57
    Domino 10.42

Anything She Does 4.06
    Throwing It All Away 3.51
    Do The Neurotic 7.08

21. manco

manco Forum Resident

I wonder if they included Anything She Does as a piss-take on a generic sounding horn-driven Phil Collins song. It's really awful and I think they didn't want to take themselves too seriously.

22. manco

manco Forum Resident

Not one of Tony Banks' best lyrical moments. However considering the size of the lyric on Domino, one flub of a line is acceptable. Are you telling me Leonard Cohen had a 100% strike rate?

23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I wouldn't know.

24. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

It's not a single poor line. I love how Tony gets vivid imagery in his lyrics but about half of his songs manage to come off overly wordy - it isn't a problem for me but paraphrasing Mike "It's why Tony never could manage a great single"

Ryan Lux and The_Windmill like this.
  25. manco

manco Forum Resident

Heaven forbid trying to write progressive rock.

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.