Genesis - My takes on some different mixes and looking for CD master recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BitterMinnows, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jp312

jp312 Forum Resident

I also have this disc, but I believe this has the intact opening to "Watcher". I previously had the original US Atlantic, and that did have the beginning slightly cut off. On the V/C there is a very slight fade up at the beginning of "Time Table" (which wasn't on the Atlantic I used to have), but it doesn't really bother me. Overall, the Atlantic sounded good, but the V/C was just a bit fuller to my ears.

2. ShadowSkulkerer

ShadowSkulkerer Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find which one this is via discogs and ebay right now. Do you have a catalog number?

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I dumped all my 2007s

1. For Trick of the tail the Atco u.s. CD is the one with the best bass pedals and overall punch

2. For Wind and wuthering the DE isn't perfect but at least it has some bass

3. For early Peter Gabriel Genesis I recommend the DCC Hoffman from Genesis to Revelation I recently found it and it's a great warm mix of an underrated album .

danielbravo likes this.
  5. ShadowSkulkerer

6. c-eling

1st manufacture will not be a DADC Austria, the picture disc was part of the Virgin Box. These boxes tended to use existing mastering's.
    Some sellers broke up these boxes and sold them individually.

ShadowSkulkerer likes this.
  7. ShadowSkulkerer

Okay. Thank you so much for the info. I’m ignorant of a lot. If I’m not given a catalog number I can easily identify I’m a bit helpless.

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

No problem! I have a couple of these boxes so it was easy to figure out what he was talking about.
    It can get quite confusing with some of these bands, good grief :laugh:

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I just got a V/C Foxtrot and was caught off guard by the clipped opening. Frustrating, especially when "Watcher of the Skies" is one of their career highlights in general, but it is a good sounding CD. Damn you Genesis, why can't you just license the original mixes to MFSL?

sentinel90125 and Carlox like this.
  10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I missed this somehow. I'll check tonight. I'm curious if that missing portion might be in the pre-gap for the 1st song, or if it's simply not there. Some CD players won't play the pre-gap for the 1st song even though they'll play the pre-gaps for all the rest ...

C6H12O6 likes this.
  11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I actually found another one that's fine that's a PDO CD but it may or may not have CD rot (hard to tell). The clipped one's a Nimbus CD, which I was able to exchange/return, so it may come down to the manufacturer.

12. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Well......I must say ......
    it's refreshing to have someone with
    a contrary opinion on this forum!

Nick Davis you say.....
    Hmmmmm....
    "No sir.....I don't like it."

But welcome to the madhouse

13. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Wind And Wuthering
    Virgin/Charisma
    CDSCD 4005 (mastered by Nimbus)

With orange type and the tree centered.

Sounds great to me!

14. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, Trespass was really only fully to be able to be appreciated when the remastered European cd's of the updated Genesis catalog came out around 1992 or so, the definitive editions, all the other albums were released in the USA, Trespass was ommited, due to MCA had the rights to this back then still. The 2007 of this to my ears sounds fine.

15. kevin5brown

Ok, my VC/Nimbus is not missing anything. This is what I see though. I compared to a WG Sonopress. The Sonopress has about 0.5s of silence at the beg, then the music starts. The VC/Nimbus does not have that 0.5s of silence, it just starts right when the music starts. But if I compare to after that from the same point, back to when the music starts, they are exactly the same. This is looking with an audio editor at both ripped files.

I don't know if you're playing on a CD player, and it doesn't "lock" immediately onto the audio? That's the one other thing I can think of.

... Ironically enough, I can't find that VC/Nimbus to look at the pre gap. (I can't find Trespass either. They were the last two I compared in the last go round, so they are "out" somewhere, rather than with all the rest. Buggers.) I did find the VC/DADC Austria disc I have though (the picture disc). Same mastering? I can't remember, but it does have a pre-gap of 2s before the 1st song. So it might also be that pre-gap problem. Some CD players don't play the pre-gap before the 1st song for some unknown reason. If you're listening from ripped files though, the audio should be there.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It can be the time needed for a player to unmute its output. In the early days of SACD we found that decoder chips used in early Sony and Philips players had different response times (even among decoders from a single company). That made authoring titles difficult, especially for albums that segue. In a 'fast' player the circuitry unmutes quickly enough to catch the start of the audio, in a 'slow' player it does not. We lobbied to have a parameter in the Scarlet Book to control this, but it got overruled by the higher-ups! :) The idea was that the player itself should back track by its de-muting delay from the defined Track Start on the disc. That way all players should unmute in time. Unfortunately, that's not the way things are.

kevin5brown, c-eling and C6H12O6 like this.
  17. c-eling

There is a variant of the US Trespass
    Sanyo MCA -Stagnation- drum slam, cold end. 8:51
    100/83.8/84.1/100/59.5/100
    [​IMG]

kevin5brown likes this.
  18. kevin5brown

I have "favorites" among manufacturing houses, even though that shouldn't dictate at all, the sound/mastering quality. I do have a fondness for Sanyo discs from Japan, and there are obviously also Sanyos from the US too. The Sanyos for Live and W&W are my faves for those two. I need to look for this one too now!

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

The only way I could identify it Kevin was the font that's used. 'Sanyo' is not printed in the matrix, which is odd. The mastering may not be to everyone's tastes, she's a warm one.

kevin5brown likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Kevin's radio:

[​IMG]

Dodoz, DiabloG, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  21. kevin5brown

... In general, I like the V/C better, because my notes say that the US MCA is even warmer! :) So maybe this is just the "std" US mastering? Can you get EAC/peak values by any chance? Well, my notes also say it's the Canadian MCA that has the cold Stagnation ending. The US MCA is faded out ... So maybe it's (similar to) the Canadian MCA?

c-eling likes this.
  22. kevin5brown

Love that "subwoofer" in the middle there! :laugh:

23. c-eling

I posted peaks above and why I stated 'variant' :winkgrin:
    Yes this US has the cold ending like the Canadian.

danielbravo and kevin5brown like this.
  24. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

For "from genesis to revelation"
    the cd from Disky (1996) is great too. But with compression on the bonus songs...:shrug:

No, seems to me that is not exactly the same, the US cd is more bright... but almost the same DR.
    MCA Canada
    Album details - Dynamic Range DB
    MCA US
    Album details - Dynamic Range DB
    But both are great. I like most the old Virgin.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    c-eling likes this.
  25. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Some people like Phil sounding cds
    Some people like Peter sounding cds
    Nobody likes Ray sounding cds

Lexhibit and danielbravo like this.