Genesis on Classic Records-Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thommo577, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, just made an offer of $25 for a M-German re-press copy.
    "PRS Hannover embossed stamp on the rear side of the cover."
    ????

2. Thommo577

Anyone??? Bueller? Bueller??

3. Thommo577

$26 for a M-German re-press copy.
    "PRS Hannover embossed stamp on the rear side of the cover."
    Purchased last night from a fellow named Lars on Discogs. Hope it's a Weiner...uh, winner. Do you remember how much you paid for yours and where you found it?
    Thanks!

bonzo59 likes this.
  4. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

I don't remember the seller 'cos i purchase it on Discogs through the record store i used to go.
    The price was 20 Euro

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. Thommo577

I will report my results in playing it next week- it just shipped from Germany.

bonzo59 likes this.
  6. Thommo577

I found a Portuguese Porky's on Discogs for $28 including shipping. NM.
    Thoughts?

7. Thommo577

Looking at NC now. Is the pink scroll repress ( Rhino/ Atlantic) any good? Looking at around $30 for a mint copy. Thoughts on this one? Thanks!

8. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I believe this is the remixed version. I thought you wanted the original mix, right ?

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

As Bill writes above, anytime you see Rhino attached in any way (or, as far as I know, any reissue done more recently than the Classic reissues), you are dealing with the remix.

10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

My thought? I can't imagine Portuguese vinyl being quiet. I avoid those pressings unless I just want a rarity sitting in my collection.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have a Dutch pressing of Foxtrot, single sleeve that I think sounds fantastic.

12. Thommo577

OK dunno if I need a fresh thread, but I need a recommendation for a decent ( not the amazing, incredible $200 Classic/ Dead Sea Scrolls or Hogwarts editions. I can live with a reissue, if it's a nice sounding one. Thanks!

13. Thommo577

I just received my German Charisma copy of Foxtrot yesterday. It looks NM, but a lot if dust, just needs a cleaning. It's very thin...I'll report my findings after a couple of spins. Thanks to all of you for your input, it is appreciated.

14. Thommo577

Well, it must be a more recent German Foxtrot...It is dull and lifeless. There are no punchy dynamics like my 70's U.S. Charisma copy...This is a very thin piece of vinyl, poorly mastered/ pressed. I paid $26 to find out. It makes the loud surface noise a secondary concern when that is usually the primary issue. Very disappointed...and I was going to ask Steve Hackett to sign it when I see his show in 2 weeks....
    Guess if I go German it has to be a Phillips label pressing...sigh.

15. Thommo577

About $35 shipped for this one. It says 3rd UK pressing, small mad hatter. Is this worth it guys? I am starting yo look for new vinyl....getting very frustrated.

GENESIS Foxtrot (1974 UK third issue of the 1972 6-track LP with the small pink Mad Hatter Charisma label and Marketed & Distributed by B&C Records text featuring Get Em Out By Friday Suppers Ready and the wonderful Watcher Of The Skies smooth gatefold sleeve with lyrics across the inner spread. The sleeve has only a few minor storage marks otherwise superb the vinyl shows just a few light surface marks indicative of play an excellent copy CAS1058)

16. willied

willied Forum Resident

Thommo577,please your equipment profile.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Surely it would cost you less in the long run just to get UK 1st presses and be done with it.

18. Thommo577

Rotel RX-202 receiver
    Technics SL-03 DD Semi- Automatic TT
    Grado Black1 Standard Cartridge
    Bose141 speakers
    Not my dream system but cobbled it together based on what I could afford

willied likes this.
  19. Thommo577

How about the First US Pressing, 2nd and 3rd UK pressings, or 1st or 2nd German pressings? So many options!

20. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Like a lion dazzled and confused by a thousand antelope tails, while the prize prey gets away :laugh:

Bigbudukks likes this.
  21. Here in the Netherlands it's easy to get 70s Charisma pressings in excellent condition for less than 1/10th of what the Classic Records go for. I've paid less for the entire 1970-1980 catalogue than what I would have to pay for a single Classic Records title. They may not be first pressings (except for Selling England) but they sound terrific, especially compared to what's out there on CD. Therefore over here they're certainly not worth the money. In the US Charisma pressings may be a lot harder to find, but I'd still just look a little harder rather than pay big bucks for the Classic Records pressings.

McLover, LivingForever and Thommo577 like this.
  22. Thommo577

Looks like there are no repress or reissues on Discogs. Original Dutch pressing NM for $28. Not a bad deal.

23. Thommo577

I got a 15€ refund for the German Charisma repress. Any other opinions on the 1972 Dutch pressing? The Classic and original UK pressing are out if my price range. I am also looking at UK 2 and 3, along with the original US pressing (Charisma/ Buddah).
    I want to stay away from the muddy represses. I am willing to sacrifice some mids and vass for a clean, well-balanced defined sound.
    Please weigh in. I know it's Super Bowl Sunday, but so what?!

24. Thommo577

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
    I had a US Charisma copy and it was nice. Does anyone think the Grado Black1 in a Technics SL 3 is not a good match? Is a Rotel RX- 202 too low a wattage to really get good sound? Hmm, just wondering because someone here asked about my equipment....Thanks!

25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

You really need to specify album title when you mention these pressings. I can't keep track of which album you're after - Genesis has many.

I get the point that you don't want to pony up for a Classic Records or original pressing because they're expensive, but let me tell you as someone who has bought a LOT of Genesis records -- I, and most others, are not just sending you to get the most expensive ones just because that makes us feel better about what we've spent. I'm telling you, a lot of those represses are bad. It's not much use to you to put out $20 or $30 for poor sounding records only to feel like you need to buy another.

So again, it depends on the title, but the best ones are usually first press UK, Classic Records or the 1979 French Charisma's on the black label. Sorry, but I haven't personally found a Nursery Cryme on LP that I liked other than the 1st UK Porky or the Classic Records. The US Buddah/Charisma's are generally not great and frankly they're the only ones I've skipped buying completely.

I'm still playing through my many Foxtrots so I can't yet comment much on that.

Matt Starr, G E, Cassius and 3 others like this.