Genesis on Classic Records-Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thommo577, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, it is Foxtrot, SRBTP, then NC in thay order, Can't afford all at once. I was just looking at Foxtrot....for now.

2. Thommo577

So, is an original UK Foxtrot , red spine, Porky's 2972, etc...a decent deal for a NM copy in the $45-$55 range? Will is sound amazing? Will I swoon?:love::pineapple:

3. Thommo577

Please let me know what your findings are, thank you!

4. Thommo577

Any opinions on the Japanese pressings of NC? That entire album could use s treble boost, and I gather these are very '''clean sounding". Thanks!

5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

If it is truly NM, that is a very good price indeed. I happen to have two of these (the first was too noisy), and I doubt you will think it sounds particularly amazing. Especially compared to most Porky masterings, it is a bit dark. On my system it is just shy of being too dark (in the sense of dull/muddy/muffled)--it is warm and rich, and somehow sounds right to me, but if one's system is even slightly less bright than mine, it may be too much of a good thing. I actually haven't heard any other vinyl copies to compare it to. The original UK mastering of Selling England is more swoon-worthy, IMHO. It is also quite warm, but has more of a glowing midrange that I find particularly wonderful.

6. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

If you think the album needs a treble boost, you might like the first US pressing. I have one, and found it too trebly for my tastes. That's the one where the UK small hatter was too dull on my system, but the German Philips was just right. I haven't heard the Japanese. They are often the recommended pressings for the early Phil albums, but I don't recall many people recommending them for the Gabriel era.

Thommo577 likes this.
  7. Thommo577

I think I heard that the 1zt Dutch pressing and the Japanese pressings tend to be brighter. Hard to judge the best for me- If I upgrade to a better balanced system I want a well balanced copy. Someone here mentioned the black label 1979 French pressing...seems too cheap...

8. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I have this one and it sounds pretty much as good as the Porky pressing I also have.

But don’t buy it from Eil.com (that sounds like one of their descriptions), they overcharge and don’t properly grade anything.

TLMusic and Thommo577 like this.
  9. Thommo577

Yeah, like they don't even know what they have. Still thinking about what the best version of Foxtrot best be for me. Hmmm

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Ditto that. Used to see a lot of cheap Portuguese LP imports in the 80s and the vinyl quality was noticeably poorer. The sleeves also lacked solidity and felt flimsier. I'd avoid, one for completists only.

11. Thommo577

Any thoughts on if this long as like a worthwhile deal? Thanks!
    Vinyl a shiny Good +with several light surface marks but plays well. Gatefold sleeve VG with red Charisma inner. See notes below all check out.
    [​IMG]
    More Images

Genesis ‎– Foxtrot
    Label:
    Charisma ‎– CAS 1058, Charisma ‎– CAS.1058
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold
    UK
    Released:
    Oct 1972
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Prog Rock

Tracklist
    A1 Watcher Of The Skies 7:23
    A2 Time Table 4:46
    A3 Get 'Em Out By Friday 8:37
    A4 Can-Utility And The Coastliners 5:45
    B1 Horizons 1:41
    Supper's Ready (22:52)
    B2.1 Lover's Leap
    B2.2 The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
    B2.3 Ikhnaton And Itsacon And Their Band Of Merry-Men
    B2.4 How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
    B2.5 Willow Farm
    B2.6 Apocalypse In 9/8
    B2.7 As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)
    Companies, etc.
    Credits
    Notes
    First UK press.

Gatefold textured sleeve.

Red coloured text on spine.

Large mad hatter label.

Red Charisma inner.

Label: "Manufactured and Distributed by B&C Records Ltd".

Sleeve: "Marketed by B&C Records Ltd., 37 Soho Square, London, W1." and "Printed & made by the E.J. Day Group, London & Bedford"
    Barcode and Other Identifiers
    • Matrix / Runout (A Side Runout): CAS 1058 A-1U Porky
    • Matrix / Runout (B Side Runout): CAS 1058 B-1U Pecko

12. Thommo577

This one is around $40. Seller statement:
    "The first press will also have an A1/B1 matrix - the one I'm selling is an A2/B2 so it isn't the first press you're looking for."
    Any opinions on this one? Is it a second UK pressing and is it worth $40?

13. Thommo577

Or this one..,?
    Genesis ‎ Foxtrot Vinyl Gatefold 1st Press A-1U/B-1U PORKY/PECKO Textured Sleeve

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

YES! That's the best you're gonna get on that title. Let's hope it's truly NM! I lucked out and got one for just under that from a US seller a couple of years ago myself.

Thommo577 likes this.
  15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

If it has Porky/Pecko in the deadwax, go for it if it's in excellent condition.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Here are my notes from the '77 Japanese pressing of Nursery Cryme:

"Noticeable hiss at start, has some apparent detail but feels muffled as if from a copy tape. No real highs or big low end."

Thommo577 likes this.
  17. Thommo577

The 1st pressing is in bidding mode, so the price will of course increase.
    The A2/B2 is the later pressing which would run about $35.....

18. Thommo577

This copy of Foxtrot is either a 1974 or 1075 pressing. Asking price is $48 shipped from UK.Here is the matrix info...
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A): CAS 1058 A-2U PORKY'S PRIME CUT
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B): CAS 1058 B-1U PECKO
    • small mad hatter" labels and B&C credits.

Gatefold matt sleeve.
      Red coloured text on spine.
      Small mad hatter label.
      Label: "Marketed by B & C Records"
      Sleeve: "Marketed by B&C Records Ltd., 37 Soho Square, London, W1." and "Printed & made by the E.J. Day Group, London & Bedford"

19. Thommo577

I cannot pull the trigger on this one...the description says "
    Vinyl a shiny Good +with several light surface marks but plays well. Gatefold sleeve VG with red Charisma inner."
    If it was $20 maybe,but why keep buying VG/VG+ when for another $13-$17 I could get a NM/M- copy? Am I right?!

20. Thommo577

Ugh! No thanks!

21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yeah, I always hold out for VG+ or NM copies, though of course online you gotta take your chances even then. Some guys grade properly, many overgrade (or grade only visually) ... but every now and then you get the guy who undergrades and you just wanna give him a big ol' hug!

For me, even if it's not the absolute first press, if it has Porky/Pecko in the deadwax, that's a good cut, and the next thing you want to worry about is how clean/undamaged the vinyl is. I don't worry about the age of the stampers so much personally.

NorthNY Mark and Thommo577 like this.
  22. Thommo577

Just won a bid on Foxtrot 1st UK pressing on EBay UK for £8. Unfortunately, the shipping somehow jumped to £18, yipes! It's International Priority with tracking. I see that most merchants give an option for standard International shipping..so, I asked the seller if he/she could do that....to save a few quid, although if the album is at least a VG+ ( it was described that way) $36 US is not too bad for that pressing, yes?
    Here is the item description...
    Outer sleeve is good/very good. Inner sleeve is not original and is a paper replacement. Vinyl is untested but appears to be very good/excellent

23. Thommo577

Well, I just cornered a UK first press Foxtrot VG+ all around for £20 GBP = (today) just under $28.
    Should I pull zee trigger?

24. Thommo577

For Nursery Cryme, I heard Phillips early pressing are good and loks like I found an original pink scroll for $24...
    Another question- Any opinions regarding the first German pressing of SEBTP? Thanks... is anyone following this thread anymore? Hmmm....

25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Seriously, I'd avoid the German Phillips Nursery Cryme until I and that other guy whip out our maxtrix numbers on ya. Mine is easily one of the worst sounding vintage vinyl albums that I own. I can't even listen to it all the way through. An original Pink Scroll of that title will do nicely!

And just get a clean UK Porky SEBTP!!