Genesis Remixes – The complete list of alterations/revisions (Gabriel-era albums)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by albertop, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albertop

albertop Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread aims to define a complete list of the alterations/revisions of the 2007/8 Genesis remixes. I’d like to start by posting a preliminary (and incomplete) list, which draws information from the following four threads:

Re-evaluating the Genesis 2007-8 Remixes »

Genesis 2007 masters... can't listen to originals... »

Revisionism in Genesis remixes? »

Genesis - "Supper's Ready" - alternate vocals? »

I tried to acknowledge the source where possible, and I’ve also added a few revisions that I discovered myself. However, my knowledge is only limited to the Gabriel-era albums (and that’s the reason of the thread title. I only own the original mixes for the Collins-era albums).

Some alterations/revisions are common to several songs and albums, such as the presence of the vocals, compression of the drums, etc. For this reason, they haven’t been highlighted again in this preliminary list.

Please post in this thread if:
    - you are aware of an alteration/revision which is not listed below;
    - you find errors in this list and you’d like to amend it;
    - you find your quoted view has been interpreted incorrectly, or if you haven’t been quoted at all;
    - you want to post a short audio sample of an alteration/revision and discuss it.

Please do not post in this thread if:
    - you only want to discuss the sound quality of the remixes, with no focus on a particular song or a specific alteration/revision (i.e. you are welcome to criticise the presence of an alternate take, or missing instruments, on a track, but there is no point in just posting a generic “the whole set of remixes is good or bad”)

Information about the alterations/revisions of individual albums will appear below in separate posts. Please hold off on adding anything until all of the Gabriel-era albums have been published.

Thanks everyone,
    Let’s start!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. albertop

Trespass

1. Looking for someone
    (?)

2. White Mountain
    “"Fang son of Great Fang, the traitor we seek'' sounds like an alternate, particularly on 'seek', and the whole section has lost some of its declamatory nature.” (by @billy1)

“A different vocal take at some point during "White Mountain" on "Trespass". This verse : <Fang, son of great Fang, the Traitor we seek, The laws of the Brethren say this, That only the King sees the Crown of the Gods, And he, the Usurper must die>. Peter Gabriel was vaguely off key/blue on the original "say THIS" but hey, I don't like revisionism. Also the "must diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie" part and the way the next section came in was a typical 1970 cut and paste job - literally, back when engineers cut actual tape. The transition was so rough you could almost see the sticky tape used to splice two takes together or something” (by @Dodoz)

3. Visions of Angels
    “The remix only has one issue being that in Visions of Angels the harmonized voices in the mid-section are buried pretty well to the point I didn't know they were there until I heard original pressings” (by @Eleventh Earl of Mar)

4. Stagnation
    “At the end of Stagnation where the immediate cut-off splice area of the reverb[which was actually fixed nicely in one of the Remixes” (by @Jane Scranton)

5. Dusk
    (?)

6. The Knife
    “Different effect/reverb? on the verse: <Some of you are going to die, Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.>”

“Listen then to 37:23. The flute part has got so much clarity in the remix (I can hear Peter breathing at 37:28).”

William Smart likes this.
  3. albertop

Nursery Cryme

1. The Musical Box
    (?)

2. For Absent Friends
    (?)

3. The Return of the Giant Hogweed
    “Missing Hackett’s guitar parts?” (To be confirmed)

“4:50 to 7:00, much lower volume, before the finale”

4. Seven Stones
    (?)

5. Harold The Barrel
    (?)

6. Harlequin
    “Harlequin and Fountain of Salmacis fade into each other on the 1970-1975 box remix but not on the original CD” (by @tmwlng)

7. The Fountain of Salmacis
    “Different vocal take of "within a hidden cave nymphs had kept a child" that was recorded during the sessions but not used on the album” at about 0:41 (by @Eleventh Earl of Mar)

“extra Peter vocal on 'Fountain of Salmacis' (taped at the time I think)” (by @ponkine)
    [see also comment above for details]

4. albertop

Foxtrot

1. Watcher of the Skies
    “There's some guitar missing on 'Watcher of The Skies'” (by @ponkine)

2. Time Table
    (?)

3. Get ‘Em Out by Friday
    (?)

4. Can-Utility and the Coastliners
    (?)

5. Horizon’s
    (?)

6. Supper’s ready
    “Different take on: <It's been a long long time. Hasn't it?> at about 1:50” (thanks to @LivingForever)

“On 'Supper's Ready', during the acoustic part, there's clearly another Peter Gabriel vocal take: <...And it's hey babe your supper's waiting for you. Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true. I've been so far from here, Far from your warm arms. It's good to feel you again, It's been a long long time. Hasn't it?>” (by @ponkine)

“Different take on : <They're going to change you into a human being!> at about 11:55”

“Pitch correction was rectified at the end of Supper's Ready” (@Darrin Crawford)

5. albertop

Selling England by the Pound

1. Dancing with the moonlit knight
    “alternate vocal take: <It lies with me! cried the queen of maybe - for her merchandise, he traded in his prize.>” (by @ponkine)

“there are added guitar parts brought forward on Dancing With The Moonlit Knight” (@Darrin Crawford)

2. I know what I like (in your wardrobe)
    “Different fade in, between 0:00 – 0:25”

“Outro on 'I Know what I like'. There's a part on the original, around 11.36, where the Flute rises slightly in prominence - it's quieter on the remix” (by @billy1)

“Different fade out, quieter and longer on the remix”

3. Firth of fifth
    (?)

4. More Fool Me
    (?)

5. The Battle of Epping Forest
    (?)

6. After the ordeal
    (?)

7. The Cinema Show
    (?)

8. Aisle of Plenty
    (?)

6. albertop

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    “Fade in on the original mix”

2. Fly on a Windshield
    (?)

3. Broadway Melody of 1974
    (?)

4. Cuckoo Cocoon
    (?)

5. In the Cage
    (?)

6. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    (?)

7. Back in N.Y.C.
    “Back in NYC from the Lamb sounds a lot different from the original version, specifically when Gabriel sings "as I cuddle the porcupine...". Very different, less vocal engineering magic on the 2007 version” (by @Dog Ear)

8. Hairless Heart
    “Guitar less prominent in the original mix, intro”

9. Counting Out Time
    (?)

10. Carpet Crawlers
    (?)

11. The Chamber of 32 Doors
    (?)

Disc.2
    1. Lilywhite Lilith
    (?)

2. The waiting room
    (?)

3. Anyway
    (?)

4. Here come the supernatural Anaesthetist
    (?)

5. The Lamia
    (?)

6. Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats
    (?)

7. The Colony of Slippermen
    (?)

8. Ravine
    (?)

9. The Light Dies Down on Broadway
    (?)

10. Riding the Scree
    (?)

11. In the Rapids
    (?)

12. It
    (?)

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Cool thread!

Let's add: the castration sound in "Colony of Slippermen" is missing (which is a real shame).

8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

“Outro on 'I Know what I like'. There's a part on the original, around 11.36, where the Flute rises slightly in prominence - it's quieter on the remix”

How can this be, the song is only 4:10 long? I mean, there might be a different flute part, but it's not at the 11 min mark.

9. albertop

I was citing the original sentence. The timing was taken from the beginning of the album. It's at about 3:10.

10. albertop

Noted, thanks. I'll wait and repost a new list in a few days

wolfram likes this.
  11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

That's better.
    Since when in talking about a specific track does anyone time it out from the beginning of an album?

and yes, there is a mix difference there, that I will not dispute, I just thought it was confusing to list an 11 min timing on a 4 minute song.

albertop likes this.
  12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Great thread idea! This is exactly what I was looking for when I started one of the threads you are drawing information. I dont really have anything to contribute, since all my information came from the threads you mentioned above, but I'll definitely be following along.

albertop likes this.
  13. albertop

The Colony of Slippermen
    About 4:05, there's a missing 'castration' sound on the remix. It's between these verses:

"Don't delay, dock the dick!"
    I watch his countdown timer tick......
    [MISSING SOUND]
    He places the number into a tube,
    A yellow plastic "shoobedoobe".

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Plus, it is a lot more than just 'quieter', it's almost non existent. One of the more frustrating moments for me (along with the missing guitar in 'Misunderstanding') when I first heard these remixes.

spondres likes this.
  15. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Mellotron flutes are added to the last verse of "Time Table." They weren't on the original. I prefer the added Mellotron on the remix. Can't have too much tron.

Shak Cohen and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  16. albertop

Good one, thanks. It's at about 3:00 if I'm not wrong.

17. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

Remixed "Supper's Ready" approx. 16 seconds longer at the end - much better fade out.

18. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure there's an alternate take used for Gabriel's line "where they fell!" near the end of "Can-Utility And The Coastliners" on the Nick Davis remix of Foxtrot. It could just be a difference of effects used on the voice here, but I believe the original version had Gabriel holding out the word "felllllll" into a fade out.

I admit I might be wrong, but this leapt out at me the first time I heard the remix.

spondres likes this.
  19. albertop

Thanks.
    That seems the same take to me, but much quieter on the original mix, because of the fade out on "feellll", as you said. I've just tried to play both tracks simultaneously in Audacity to double-check.

20. Concerning "Dusk" from Trespass : After the last lyrics (This passerby ... Born to die), A triangle is struck. - On the original mix it is clipped. - On the remix it is allowed to decay.

Galeans likes this.
  21. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Battle of Epping Forest:
    The line where Pete sings "Oh no, not me, I'm a man of repute" is definitely different from the original mix. IIRC, he adds an extra "pute" at the end of the line.

For Absent Friends:
    The line "Inside the archway, the priest greets them with a courteous nod. He's close to God." is also different from the original mix.

albertop likes this.
  22. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight

'Citizens of Hope and Glory, time goes by' - another alternate - and Davis failed miserably to match the reverb.

Bemsha and Frittenköter like this.
  23. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

The Battle of Epping Forest

"...here come the Cavalry" - first iteration - different take that sounds rushed in comparison to original.

"...that's why we're in..." - last iteration - extra voice on remix.

albertop likes this.
  24. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

In "Stagnation" when Peter sings "And I will wait for ever, beside the silent mirror
    And fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water..." the effects on the vocal are different and not quite as spine-tingling. In the original mix it sounds like Peter is sinking under the water as he sings.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This absolutely ruins the song, IMO. That was the emotional peak of the whole thing and now it's completely inaudible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.