Genesis reunion in 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Agree , the well is dry! Rutherford's last few M&tM's albums have been dire. Collin's last two albums before he retired were worse
    Banks has released nothing of note. If they did record some new songs it would be mediocre and bland grandad rock.

2. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I agree with the thrust of your sentiment and would hate to see them embarrass themselves either live or in the studio. However, Tony's last couple of orchestral albums are pretty good.

3. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

If you ignore Calling All Stations, then the conclusion to the band was near perfect. Fading Lights as the farewell track on their final album, followed by a massive tour and then a reunion / farewell tour 15 years later while they were still able to perform at a high level. :agree:

RangerXT and The Razors Edge like this.
  4. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

But when they made music together, what they produced was always greater than the sum of the parts.

Bemsha and DMGuy like this.
  5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Exactly. Personally I don’t care for Mike and the Mechanics or any Collins solo work, but with Genesis there is a magic.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So buy the front row tix for $20 if the shows happen and they allow an audience to attend rather than playing to an empty hall and streaming them

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

“Not About Us” was a single. It wouldn’t be replaced by a 7 minute b-side. “There Must Be Some Other Way” is definitely one of the highlights on the album with one of the few actual instrumental breaks.

gabbleratchet7 and DiabloG like this.
  8. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I always felt CAS was an OK album; some strong moments offset by too many throwaways. But the b-sides are weak. Anything Now is the best of the bunch, but it wouldn’t have made the cut on WCD or IT. For CAS, it doesn’t really fit the mood of the rest of the album, so I would have left it off, too.

So my approach to improving it would simply be to shorten it (which is my view on WCD as well). Excise Small Talk and Alien Afternoon. And you don’t Need both Shipwrecked and If That’s What You Need).

RangerXT likes this.
  9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Just uploaded on youtube ... :edthumbs:

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This

:edthumbs:

11. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Based on how Ill Phil looks and sounds I question the reason behind all this.
    Phil can barely stand, seems to have slurred speech, and can’t really hit any of the notes anymore.
    While I am a huge Genesis fan I’d rather remember them how they were, with Phil belting the crap out of drums then running around the stage, not sitting in a chair or using a cane to perform Mama.
    I’d rather a studio album than a tour.
    Mike and Tony still have the ability to write decent music.
    A bit of studio trickery could compensate for Phil’s register.
    Would it be as good as Duke or Genesis? No but I’d still buy it.

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You're basing his speech off the announcement interviews when he admittedly was getting over a cold. That's not how he normally sounds.

And he can stand. His problem has to do with moving more than standing.

The_Windmill and RangerXT like this.
  13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

CAS: Contains two of the very best post-Gabriel era Genesis songs - Not About Us and The Dividing Line.

CAS: Contains one of the absolute worst Genesis songs - Congo

IMO of course...!

LivingForever likes this.
  14. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

The way things are looking I'll be delighted if these gigs go ahead at all. Fingers crossed.

As for CAS, been listening this week actually. It certainly is a 'grower' in that it can take months to get into.

Causes me no pain, it's a decent listen, just lacks spark. Ray's voice is very good but he's a little bit one-note (as is the songwriting to be fair). So it all feels like one mood, not so much light and shade as all shade.

It also misses the surprises of Phil's rhythmic creativity and arrangements. If they had jammed some embryonic tracks with Nir that might also have spiced the album up a bit.

15. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Like this -

DiabloG and Orino like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Pretty good, although: A) The lead singer's phrasing is a bit soft. Is English his native language (that would explain things); B) Not many closeups on Steve Hackett...It's almost as if he's not there.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

True. For me the album really starts from Alien Afternoon.

DiabloG likes this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Mama Tour really needs a standalone release. Just outstanding front to back.
    Best version of Abacab ever.

19. dubious title

The little pot belly in black suit looks about right though.

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The band is from Argentina, and they made 2 concerts with Steve. They're from Argentina.

I still don't have the DVD, but there're more shots of Steve playing, that's for sure. I think the production tried to show Steve as a part of the band those nights, rather than a "guest". And it works. It does sound like Steve was part of the band those nights

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

23. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

I think the Ray era b-sides make for a curiously listenable mini (41 minute!) album, obviously lacking cohesion/direction but lighter than CAS with some decent hooks. And two instrumentals!

I like to listen in this order and think of it as 2 sides on vinyl. Because I can. :)

Sign Your Life Away
    Banjo Man
    Run Out Of Time
    Phret

Papa He Said
    Nowhere Else To Turn
    7/8
    Anything Now

MikeVielhaber and dubious title like this.
  24. dubious title

Good idea. Yes, I like you proposed mini album more than what we ended up with.

Orino likes this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup...I didn't bother listening to that clip when it came out, but someone else forwarded it to me and insisted I listen.

Not my favorite Peter Gabriel song, but he and his band nail it. Nice job.

kouzie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.