Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

46 million to the last wife.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They very much seem like the types to sit around twiddling their fingers to me. When the going got tough in 1998, instead of fighting back and trying to make a real album with their new singer, they just folded their cards and checked out. Phil hasn't released a new original song in 16 years, Tony hasn't done anything besides his sporadic classical albums in over 20. Rutherford is the only one who's been creative at all in the rock world, so the best we'll get out of this delay is another Mechanics album, I'd wager.

JulesRules and Ryan Lux like this.
  3. walrus

I don't think any of them are remotely in any kind of financial peril. The Genesis catalog still generates royalties, and I imagine Tony lives a fairly simple life (albeit in what I'm sure is a very nice house). Mike still gets some cash from "Miracle" and "Living Years" but I'm sure it pales to what the Genesis catalog pays him.

4. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Feel bad for Nic Collins if it doesn't happen - would have been a great showcase for him.

5. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

I take your points to a certain extent but I think Phil's still running from his alcoholic interlude and eager to keep as busy as his energy allows. Tony's stayed creative, whether or not he's in the rock world. Okay, he does seem to work at a fairly leisurely pace but then I don't have much of a clue how long it takes to write and produce the type of orchestral albums he's been doing. I think the key here is Phil needs to stay busy, and Tony and Mike as old friends want to help him with that if they can. I reckon you're right that Mike would be happy enough doing another Mechanics album but he's been his own boss in that for most of the last two decades, I reckon the challenge of working with Genesis again must be pretty tempting also. The only real downside I can see is fear of tarnishing their legacy, which seems a bit silly at this point. They don't have an immaculate back catalogue and we love them anyway, what have they got to lose?

Ryan Lux likes this.
  6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

7. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Agree, this whole legacy tarnishing bit is pretty ridiculous in music. There’s one band with a flawless legacy and the price they had to pay for that is not worth it. And ALL legacies will die or fade and become a footnote in history anyway.

Madrid and Richard Starkly like this.
  8. walrus

Dude, I would kill for another Genesis album. And I think it'd be a far better use of their time and energy than another oldies tour with Phil struggling to sing the songs. But I just don't see it happening...certainly 2007 would've been the moment, but they didn't even consider it. I want to be wrong about this very much, but if they even did a song or an EP I'd be genuinely shocked.

Ryan Lux and Richard Starkly like this.
  9. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Just trying to be optimistic! I know it's a long shot, but then so was the tour and and they committed to that.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What price did The Beatles have to pay for having a flawless legacy? Are you suggesting that if they stayed together long enough to make a subpar LP then John would still be with us?

11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

SHF Syndrome strikes. Doesn't matter which band the thread was about, it will eventually become a Beatles thread.

showtaper, coffeetime and Rfreeman like this.
  12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Of course I’m not suggesting that. Merely that the pressure of having to live up to their “legacy” was the big reason they didn’t do anything together post break up, before and after John died. That’s a very high price (missing out on the good times they could’ve had together) in order to keep the story perfectly bookended.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Rfreeman likes this.
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think one of the big reasons for the decline in Phil’s health is that he’s a very creative guy with no outlet. I think subconsciously he doesn’t want the rejection so he rationalizes the lack of activity. It’s a shame because creativity is very good for mental and physical health.

14. Madrid

I think the point about the friendship between the three members is very important, and the idea of Tony and Mike doing it to help Phil with his recovery. I guess this was psychologically very important for Phil to be able to do this, so for that reason I hope they can do something whether it is the tour or even something different.

15. walrus

Who knows. It’s a bummer though. I mean, Testify was a terrible record, but certainly enough time has passed that he could’ve moved on from that in the intervening 18 years.

LivingForever and Ryan Lux like this.
  16. Darren Smith

Darren Smith Forum Resident

The tour is being rescheduled, First Direct Arena in Leeds are now showing April 21/22 for the Genesis shows.

"The event organisers have been in touch to say that: "We have continued to monitor this unprecedented and changing situation, and it has become clear that it is not going to be possible to go ahead with the show on 2nd December. Therefore Genesis’ performance at the first direct arena on Wednesday 2nd December will be rescheduled to Wedneday 21st April 2021. We’re pleased to have been able to reschedule so do hang on to your ticket – it will be valid for the new date."

17. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

who he’s now back with. Phil does not need the money. He has plenty put away and did a massively successful solo tour a year or two ago.

LivingForever likes this.
  18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Yes, I've just got a message through saying the Glasgow Dec. 12th gig has been rescheduled to April 2nd next year (which is Good Friday).

19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Flawless legacy? The Beatles? Have you heard Ringo singing?

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't think any of his tunes hurt the legacy. If I were to axe a few tunes to improve their legacy they would be -
    Mr Moonlight
    Love You To
    Blue Jay Way
    Piggies

But 4 tunes I might skip out of well over 200 released in under 8 years leaves a pretty flawless legacy.

21. Madrid

Great news that the tour is being rescheduled - fingers crossed it goes ahead.

22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

What's so bad about Ringo's singing? He's got a unique and identifiable voice.

Booyaa73 likes this.
  23. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

And lo it is decreed that all threads on the Steve Hoffman forum must mention the almighty fab four in thine first four pages, lest they be struck asunder and removed from the interweb by decree of the almighty fab Macca...

JulesRules and gabacabriel like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

To my knowledge, it's the earliest rescheduling of a major tour since covid kicked in. Hmm.

25. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Bon Iver’s arena tour is rescheduled to January. The Who’s tour is in March 2021. Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets originally rescheduled to October 2020 - now rescheduled again to May 2021.

These Genesis gigs are right in the middle of the kids Easter holidays. Which is a headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.