Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Pay the extra $ for fully refundable travel arrangements

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I'm so glad my Leeds tickets are not cancelled* but just postponed.
    No need to get into that trouble of getting good seats in the arena again !

*I was devastated when Paul McCartney's shows were purely cancelled ! I had such good places !

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Billy Joel still has September 26 at MSG on the calendar! No chance it's gonna happen, but he continues to have the monthly MSG shows active...

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well he has postponed many of them. Generally pushed about a year out.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Joel postponed the big stadium shows for about a year each. He postponed MSG shows from earlier this year about six months each - the September show was originally from March.

Like I said, there's no way the September MSG concert will happen - it'll probably be re-rescheduled to March 2021, the next open month he has at MSG...

6. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Any update on this tour? Seems unlikely but any update?

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

There is no way it will happen, now. I doubt the health of one of the participants has improved in the last six months.

8. MikeVielhaber

Their health was never an issue as far as whether the shows would be played. Remember that Phil already spent a few years on the road in his current condition.

tug_of_war and NunoBento like this.
  9. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

It’ll be rescheduled for sometime later in 2021...like every other gig that’s been rescheduled for the first 6 months on 2021.

Although that didn’t stop me from buying a pearl jam Hyde Park ticket for next July...lol.

NunoBento likes this.
  10. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

WTH is wrong with him asking if others think it will happen?
    Not sure why you felt the need to respond that way.
    Just comes across as unfriendly and trying to be a smart Alec.

Madrid, DiabloG and BryanA-HTX like this.
  11. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I personally do not think it will happen, and as others have said Phil being able to perform is a huge stretch, he hasn’t been well for a while now, and you can’t have a Genesis reunion with the singer unable to stand.
    I would rather remember them as they were.

12. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Plenty of time for them to rehearse Anthony Phillips solo material to put in the set.

13. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Everyone's acting like Phil is on his death bed, but he just completed a huge tour in late 2019.

Yes, it's true Phil was seated for (*almost) the entirety of his recent Not Dead Yet Tour. The 97-date tour was still mostly well received and very successful.

Phil may be physically disabled now, but still posesses that instantly recognizable voice. And having another Collins on drums is a nice touch.

If the Genesis shows go ahead, it will be similar (except with Mike and Tony in place of Phil's solo band.) For me, that is good enough.

(And as with Phil's solo tour, they will compensate with a high tech video/light show so it's still a visual experience.)

*Phil managed to stand at his mic every show for In The Air Tonight.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Sounds like one of the participants had Covid.
    I hope said participant is better now...

15. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Really? Do you mean Phil? I didn't know that.

16. tug_of_war

Me neither!
    But @Siegmund seems to know something...

17. NunoBento

I don't know what's the big secret (so what if one of them had covid, as long as he managed to get out of it?), but the tour was rescheduled not that long ago.

tug_of_war likes this.
  18. tug_of_war

Yeah. That's what I've heard too. The tour was rescheduled (for the obvious reason, just like everybody else is doing). And that's all.

As far as I know none of the participants have any health problem that prevent them from touring, otherwise they wouldn't have decided to go on tour to begin with.
    But maybe @Siegmund is an insider... :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    NunoBento likes this.
  19. MikeVielhaber

His post didn't inherently imply anybody is sick. I assume he's just talking about Phil's physical condition. Why else would he doubt 6 months is long enough to improve?

dockofthebay and Siegmund like this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not an insider but I perhaps should have made the more general point that concerts and public events of any kind are unlikely to return for a very long time, possibly not within our lifetimes.

The ‘rescheduling’ currently being done is merely a form of whistling to keep spirits up.

I think I’ve attended my last live event. I’m 53, btw.

Purple Jim and tug_of_war like this.
  21. tug_of_war

If Phil's condition was an issue, why did they plan this tour to begin with?

Phil has already toured solo in that same condition. So there must be a new problem...

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I do think this could go on for 2 or 3 years but at 53 I'm sure you will get to see another concert as long as you follow Covid rules!

LivingForever, Porkpie and tug_of_war like this.
  23. NunoBento

Well, I'm going to a gig TODAY!

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sorry to veer this off topic, but I've read a lot about how the live entertainment industry is reacting to events and, currently, I don't think they have a plan. Certainly not a satisfactory plan, or a plan that would please even a small fraction of their potential audiences.

In order to be socially distanced, audiences must necessarily be smaller and that, of course, has an impact on gate takings and the economic model.

Certain governments may be prepared to step in and offer a degree of state aid to make up for the shortfall (if you're in Britain or America, you can forget it, though) but even if a great deal of state generosity was presumed, I doubt it'd make these events economically viable.

And when you consider vast stadium events like the Genesis reunion tour, it's even harder to imagine them being re-cast in a different model.

I don't like to be pessimistic but looking at the available facts (and ignoring all the irresponsible junk about 'Vaccine by Christmas' etc), it's hard not to draw this conclusion.

Ah, well. To misquote a deceased Canadian: 'It's ugly, but we (still) have the records ....'

Purple Jim and tug_of_war like this.
  25. tug_of_war

BEWARE!!!! :eek:

dubious title likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.