Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Thanks for reminding me that there is very little reason to stay alive these days. :shake: But you're probably right.

I'm actually going to a thing on Sunday, but it's distanced, with seated tables and stuff (and outside, which you can't do in Minnesota for much longer). I'm looking forward to just having something to do, but it's hard to get much excitement or energy playing rock music for people spaced out sitting at tables, at least as a long term solution.

Mister Triscuits and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I get this but with the price they are charging for some of these shows for the likes of Genesis they could still be viable with a half full stadium. Less than that there is a serious issue. Also there may be a Vaccine or the virus burns out. Nobody knows why The Black Death suddenly disappeared and even what it was exactly since Bubonic plague appears now to be different according to scientists.

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I may even create a topic about that, i.e. a review of a gig in Covid times. Allegedly the capacity of the venue was reduced to only 12.5%.
    It will be an interesting sociological experience.

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I suggest you don't create that thread. Enjoy the show.

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. NunoBento

Why not? Honest question.

D.B., Mister Triscuits and BryanA-HTX like this.
  6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

How big is it? I see some small shows happening here and there. Mostly tribute bands. Elsewhere they have drive-in shows.

I just don't think a huge show like Genesis could feasibly happen in early 2021. And I hear that if it does not happen then, then they're cancelling outright and just going home for good. I hope that's not the case and they reschedule yet again, and hopefully bring it to the US.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I sympathise. I'm a sometime performer, too, and I miss both being on stage and in an audience.

But if there's one thing that the first lockdown has taught us, it's that we all need to cultivate more of an inner life, one that doesn't depend on being among other people.

It's easier for some than for others, though.

showtaper and LivingForever like this.
  8. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

It will quickly devolve into ranting and hurt feelings and ultimately get shut down before it gets started.

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Your and my idea of 'viable' may not be the performers or the promoters',though.

Terry likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Well I would ask them are they content to make a fair profit or just there to add another few million pounds to their coffers. Hopefully some wealthy bands will be performing again for their own pleasure. I think they have a moral duty to keep the sound, lighting and stadium crews from oblivion. I would give them a pass if they all retired to their studios and produced masterworks as in the 60s and 70s. At least that would give me some new quality music at home.

11. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

I think it's likely the show will be re-scheduled once more. Probably knocked back to late 2021.

LivingForever and NunoBento like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Some may do this, but I somehow can't see the Stones or even Genesis going down that route.

Richard Thompson, whose audience is a lot smaller, obviously still needs to perform - hence, his living room concerts and his recent streamed concerts from London. But I doubt he did those for the money.

13. NunoBento

I'll probably just write something in this topic:
    Working Men’s Club - Excellent debut album!

RobNeil and dubious title like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

We moved 800 miles away for new jobs the month before the pandemic happened...so the way I planned on dealing with being hundreds of miles away from all the friends I've ever made in my life was just to go to as many shows as I can, and maybe find some local gigs to do for fun (instead of playing an endless stream of soulless gigs for money like I used to). Obviously that got shut down pretty quick, and I've lost so much of my lust for music this year. Some of my favorite artists have released great new albums and I just can't get emotionally attached to any of them anymore. It really sucks. "inner life" is BS when all you do is alternate work and sleep (in the same tiny apartment, even) in a neverending loop.

15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

These guys are no spring chickens. It would be nice if all of the former members could get together at least one time for an anniversary shin dig. They could make $ on the sale of the music and DVDs too, so it would benefit them also. But to answer the poll, no it wouldn't happen.

16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Just film it a one night concert and sell dvd and blu ray.

17. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

The last Genesis tour being called The Last Domino performed to a half full, spaced out stadium full of people wearing masks and nervous to get near anyone... While it might have to be that way it all sounds a bit grim. The 07 tour might be the best way for them to be remembered.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They can still do an "in-house" live video, even if it's not announced and simply put on the shelf for a rainy day.

Stadiums could be done in the round with cardboard cut outs that travel with them, if that makes you feel better.

19. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wonder if they've carried on rehearsing or have not been together since the pandemic started. Where does Phil live these days?

20. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

22. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Another breakup with his wife could trigger another bout with alcoholism. The first bout nearly killed him. Wouldn't bode well for this tour if he went off the rails.

23. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Yes it’s none of our business but makes me wonder where does Nic sit in the picture there considering he’s the Genesis drummer now? Sounds awkward. Having read Phil’s autobiography this does not sound great for him. I hope it’s false.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sounds like a nightmare for PC to have to deal with at his time of life.

25. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Van Halen's final ever concert took place at the Hollywood Bowl 2015. Tom Petty's final ever concert was at Hollywood Bowl 2017. If this reunion tour falls apart, it will have also been the site of the final Genesis concert from 2007. Starting to think maybe the Hollywood Bowl is bad luck.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.