Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Ha ha!
    Wussbag Lane! Sounds like a good idea for a lite '70's AM Gold cover band!

The love songs are good; love is good; Hogweeds and Undinal Songs are good; pretty melodies are good; cheese is good.

My spell-check function always corrects the title to Wind And Withering. Ha ha ha..

2. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Think I'll listen to a live version of this right now - I think the mid-section works better (for me anyway) in the live versions. Cheers!

mark winstanley and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Shall we create a new thread? This is outside the scope of what this discussion is about.

Definitely worth discussing - just not sure it needs to be in an album by album thread.

mark winstanley and abzach like this.
  4. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Yes I remember that discussion - but it’s 10 years ago and times have changed. There’s a clear market for original mixes. The idea that any new fans hear Suppers Ready differently to how the first generation fans heard it can’t be right.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

For me, one of the things that makes progressive rock so good, is that it's not following conventional song structure standards, otherwise I could just as well be listening to regular ordinary pop music (not that there's anything wrong with it), but the thing about progressive rock is that you get something else that's more then that, things that makes the music breath and makes each song a lite journey on their own with ups and downs, it makes me relax and gets me time and space to really listen and getting involved on a deeper level. It's like those small instrumental parts on The Lamb or the ending on Dancing with the moonlit knight, without those these album wouldn't be half as good. That's why the mid section saves the track for me, it's what the genre is all about.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I have just heard a lot of folks on this forum poo poo the song, and it leaves me bewildered. I think, as I say, that it is quite a unique song and although mellow and love oriented, it doesn't sound like much in terms of late seventies love songs ... to me anyhow lol

Ignominious and Rick Robson like this.
  7. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Very well stated!

mark winstanley and abzach like this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Thank you! :)

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

This is the actual version/mix of the song that charted in the US in 1978 (rather than the album version):

10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Your Own Special Way has some nice turns of phrase and probably belongs on a later Genesis album such as Duke..... Ahead of its time some might say....

11. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Great advert. Where’s it from?

12. mark winstanley

Wow, I don't think I have heard that version before.
    The guitar is up, the keys are down and is it a different drum mix?
    Very different, but I still think it sounds quite unique for a "pop" song

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

Oh, and I thought Bread were great. Guitar Man is an all time favourite of its type ... maybe because I am a guitar man lol

14. mark winstanley

Mine too hahaha

15. mark winstanley

I'm easy mate .... dare I say like a Sunday morning, ..... on a Sunday Afternoon :)

pablo fanques and MicSmith like this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

"Follow You, Follow Me" probably was the first Genesis song to be covered on a soundalike album, wasn't it?
    They obviously had no flanger. :D

17. mark winstanley

I am pleased that although in a slightly different form progressive music survived.
    So much of my music is the out of fashion seventies progressive, and I have started listening to several of the later day Progressive type bands
    Marillion, Transatlantic, Flying Colours, Porcupine Tree and several others ...
    The beauty of music for me is all the different flavours

abzach and Victor/Victrola like this.
  18. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Damn right guitar man :), but then the list goes on and on... Mother Freedom, Dream Lady, Been Too Long On The Road, Let Your Love Go, Yours For Life, Why Do You Keep Me Waiting, Truckin,.... and on and on....

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I know Steve Hackett is a legend but the man is incredibly potent as well :laugh:

--Geoff

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

...and while I'm at it, what the heck....here's the single edit of 'Your Own Special Way' Try not to cringe too hard when you notice its being played on a Crosley :yikes:

Jon H. and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

As I have said before ...
    I don't mind what we talk about on here regarding the band and the music as long as it is civil.
    If anyone feels a subject would be better talked about in another thread, I don't mind that at all either.
    Feel free to put a link here, so that any interested parties can follow the conversation ... but if the conversation stays here, that's cool too.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

I need to get that 5 album collection thing. All I have ever had is Anthology and the Best of Bread 4.0

Rick Robson and Jon H. like this.
  23. mark winstanley

:biglaugh:

24. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I'm just hopeful (cautiously optimistic, perhaps?) that our discussion doesn't wind up as a "They Sold Out!" argument, as many Genesis threads seem to go. I, and probably most of you folks, don't begrudge the band their hits & their success, but many of us fans don't really dig their most "mainstream" (especially 1980s/90s) albums as much. That's just how it is with me. But I'm pleased they had such a long & successful career!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  25. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

They’ve never seemed to me to be like most progressive rock bands. They had better lyrics, better melodies, humor, etc. I also like some Yes (mostly for the music, their lyrics were pretty terrible) and Pink Floyd (their lyrics conveyed political and social commentary, which I value highly and much prog seems to shy away from), but that’s about it.

Duke was my entry point to Genesis, and I still consider it one of their absolute best albums, far better than a couple of the early Gabriel LPs like Nursery Cryme.

As my comments on the Gabriel ABA thread indicate, I think he did his best work after he moved away from progressive rock, and his 1980s material is far more interesting and important than his Genesis work, with perhaps the sole exception of “Supper’s Ready”.

Suffice it to say that I agree with many of the common rock critic complaints about progressive rock.