Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I assume we'll heading into 'Buster'. So here's a clip of his appearance in Miami Vice, for those who want to see his acting chops:

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Is this for the Phil Collins thread?

3. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

It is. Too many tabs opened and lost my train of thought...

anyway, I'll copy this over to the proper thread.

4. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

eh, don't worry about it, it kept this thread up to the top of the list for a bit! :cool::D I'm not big on Phil solo so I don't check in on the other one much, but this was a really good thread on a great band

AidanB, mark winstanley and Melllvar like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

6. doug pitts

doug pitts Forum Resident

At last, a person who sees the absolute 2 masterpieces. Selling England must surely be their best. But my emotional favorite, the one that seems to speak to me personally, is Trick.

btomarra likes this.
  7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

For me its:

Foxtrot
    Selling England
    Trick of The Tail
    Wind & Wuthering

They are the high water mark. Nursery Cryme just outside. Really the rest of the studio albums don't matter to me as much although each has its moments.
    We are overdue a BBC Sessions compilation.

8. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

Found a sealed copy of “Selling England by the Pound” at a local thrift. Sorry I have not been able to figure out how to post pics from my phone to this site. Sounds pristine!!

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

very cool

Wolverine 05 likes this.
  10. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

tug_of_war and mark winstanley like this.
  11. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

We Italians have Mario Giammetti, whose devotion to Genesis borderlines obsession.
    He has published several books on Genesis and solo members, and sometimes they are the development of the ones before.
    Like seeing a plant grow.
    I have an old one that stops at Invisible Touch (that later developed into two separate books, one for the albums/history, one for the songs) that was my teenage bible (even though some statements in it - obviously writer's opinions - were later disproved by later sources) and another one dedicated to the Gabriel Era, that I referenced in this thread.

12. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

I've always been huge on 70s progressive rock, but Genesis never really clicked for me. I've always been more towards darker prog (King Crimson, ELP, Tull) and Yes as just a virtuoso powerhouse.

Well, that changed, somehow, recently. Dunno what happened but I gave Genesis another try (5th times a charm?) and now I cannot stop listening to them. Honestly, might be my 2nd favorite Prog band after Yes at this point.

Anyway, on topic...album wise favorites are

Foxtrot
    Selling England
    Nursery Cryme
    Trick of the Tail
    Lamb Lies Down
    Wind and Wuthering

and then the rest, which seem mostly hit or miss to me at this point.

Anyway just thought I'd stop in this thread. I wonder how many more prog people would love this band if they gave them a chance...I've always considered them a arty and weird, which is accurate, but they've got something special in the songwriting department. Pop hooks? I dunno, Tony Banks is incredible. They can jump from pastoral to super dark in like a moment's notice, and that's really what I love about the genre as a whole.

13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

The above selection of albums pretty much defines the studio albums I like to listen to by Genesis. Great composition understated soloing &mostly bizarre lyrics.
    I agree not quite as dark as KC or especially Van Der Graaf, my all time favourite. However parts of the Lamb & some parts of Nursery Cryme in particular have that edgy, sinister feel that is so compelling.

14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, but only with the Gabriel era. Can't seem to get into the albums after he left...

15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I loved Genesis back in 1981-85 when I became musically cognizant, before Invisible Touch, then I fell off the wagon because I hated that album. Unlike most here, I loved We Can’t Dance, good concert too in 1992 but horrible sound at Ohio Stadium. Reunion tour much better at Nationwide Arena in Columbus 2007 (I assume that’s the correct year). Can’t imagine there will be another show though ...

tug_of_war and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Heads up the original mix of Trick of the Tail is on iTunes replacing the 2007 mix. Not sure why and looks like the other albums still have the 2007 mixes. I just went ahead and bought it and it’s definitely the original mix. So now I have both on my iTunes library. Nice to have the original mix on digital.

17. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I only have the 2007 CD right now, no longer have my original scratched up and warped record :D:cool: what a great album

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The thing about darker Gabriel eraGenesis is thats its offset by profound whimsy not unlike Python. VDGG that is nowhere to be found, Crimson has a bit of it but only if were talking about Lizard Era Sinfield.

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I still don't know what the differences in the mix are with these. Is there somewhere that puts the differences into detail?

20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

One thing you'll definitely notice is Phil's voice. They made crystal clear in the remix, as the originals, it sounds a little buried with reverb.

There probably is a thread around telling the difference between the two.

21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

One big noticeable difference is the dynamics in the original mix are gone in the newer mix.

Slim Zooms and mark winstanley like this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I like the new mix but the loudness always puts me off.

23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Genesis & Python there's definitely plenty of that going on in the Gabriel era, I totally agree. Not so sure I agree about VDGG, Hammill definitely a bit Python-esque at times.

24. Giant Hogweed

Did we cover this. Peter song from 1974;

25. Giant Hogweed

Later recorded as this - featuring Phil and Robert Fripp!

Slim Zooms and mark winstanley like this.