Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I don't believe we did

Slim Zooms and Giant Hogweed like this.
  2. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

It straddles the line of solo and Genesis material I suppose - but is technically more Peter solo stuff. There are a load of Peter solo demos which are easily available to hear on youtube from the mid 70s with his friend Martin Hall on piano, but there is another load of demos from about 76/77 which have Ant, Phil and Mike backing him up - they leaked apparently briefly sometime ago but i've never heard them and have tried to find them since - would love to hear them!

3. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

4. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Wow, never heard this before!

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Racking my brain and all I can think of is this...

Sounds like a cross between Brian Protheroe and Ian Dury

mark winstanley and Slim Zooms like this.
  6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

And again wow!

7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes! I certainly remember this! Wasn't it also issued as an extra track on a mid-period PH album, possibly PH7 or The Future Now? Great stuff, really takes me back.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

That I dont know but PH certainly has seem to disavow that one.

9. mark winstanley

Damn, looks like I need to start the thread again!!!!!

Just joking guys .... No means no :)

10. mark winstanley

Will everyone say really nice things about And Then There Were Three if I do? lol

11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

No!

:)

12. mark winstanley

party pooper

13. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

ATTWT has been my Genesis album homework for the last fortnight. I must say I’m pleasantly surprised given some of the comments posted here. Burning Rope is class, top Phil drumming on Down & Out (it’s not the CD skipping), and The Lady Lies is a great track. I think Snowbound will sound better near Xmas rather than mid-August.

The whole doesn’t feel like a big step down from Wind & Wuthering as I was half-expecting.

Thanks again to Mark. Before I read this thread, I had just the S/T album digitally. I now have 19 Genesis CDs (albums and singles) with only Calling All Stations left to complete my studio collection.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its a good 2/3 of an album imo. It gets a bit samey but it was important album they needed to make at the time.

15. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Especially important for them to finally get a hit single.

Slim Zooms and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

I'm a weirdo, it's in my top four or five Genesis albums lol

mx20, Denim Chicken and ries like this.
  17. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

ATTWT has some moments of real promise & some of the music is excellent. It is a real band in a transition album. However in my opinion, some of the tracks sound under-cooked, as if they were rushed in their conception. For example, to my ears one of the tracks which has great potential & could have been a contender for an all time Genesis classic is Down & Out. Great drums & great guitar sounds but fizzles out in my view. Scenes From A Night's Dream is another, its almost as if they are glad to get it out of the way so they can get on with the next track on the album but again the drums are great & it could have been really great. Could it be a precursor for Turn It On Again?
    Deep In The Motherlode is a classic in my view as is Burning Rope, Many Too Many should have been a hit single, obviously Follow You Follow Me was a hit & is a classic. I know it's each to his own, but I really loathe The Lady Lies & do not really rate Undertow, it along with Snowbound are filler for me.
    I could go on, but as a fan when they released Duke I was much happier.

18. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

I can understand the songs being described as “samey”. Follow You Follow Me could be a bonus track as it is so different to what comes before.

19. ries

ries Forum Resident

Keep up the weird!

20. mark winstanley

I guess for me the attachment to And Then There Were Three is partly the first album syndrome (along with Nursery Cryme at the same time), but the album is incredibly mood driven.
    Down and Out is in my top five or so Genesis songs, because it has that punch in the face rock style that was my background up to that point, and I never found the rhythm unusual, I found it completely engaging.
    Undertow is like an emotional crescendo in song. Again it is a mood song that really works for me. I find the chorus exhilarating to be honest.
    Ballad Of Big is ok, a bit goofy but passable
    Snowbound is beautiful to me.
    Burning Rope I just find to be another stand on your toes track and engages me from the word go. It contains several moods and somewhat carries the progressive feel forward from days gone by.
    Deep In the Motherlode succeeds where Ballad Of Big sort of failed for me, it's a much more successful tale and again that exhilarating music. I love Banks keyboards and Collins drums on this album.
    Many Too many - I guess some folks switch off from the start because perhaps they are thinking it is the precursor to the Genesis eighties ballad era, but to me it is really dynamic and it presses all the right buttons for me.
    Scenes From A Nights Dream - I hold just above Ballad Of Big... it is like a bit of fun. I get the impression they wanted a more uptempo story song, and it harkens back to the Harrold The Barrel style story the guys used to tell. I like it but it isn't A1 Genesis for me.
    The Lady Lies I am not a huge fan of the keyboard sound choice at the start but the rest of the song is great, and again it looks back toward some of Gabriel's strange fantasy lyrics. I still reckon it is a good song
    Follow You Follow Me gets a lot of flak, but I think it is brilliant, and so well written and executed...

but anyway ... I didn't need to be encouraged to talk about And Then There Were Three. Great album :D

21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I’m a weirdo too! Easily in my top 4 Genesis albums with Trick, Lamb and Wind.

22. mark winstanley

and that's the weird thing about Genesis, Trick is in my bottom three or four. I have just never connected with it in the way I have others. Yet it is many folks absolute favourite.
    Whereas Wind and Wuthering rose significantly in my ranks after running through it properly.
    Probably the thing that was most bewildering about the Genesis thread in so many ways was the amazing variety in opinions about all the albums.

DarkSideOfTheMoo and Slim Zooms like this.
  23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

That I can agree with even if, lyrically, it was a bit late to the party in terms of content.

24. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I'll say every time I listen to it, I am pleasantly surprised. It's a good album but, IMHO, it's still not top tier Genesis. That's more due to the strengths of the other albums than particular weaknesses of Three.

25. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

Wonder why the person who posted this on YouTube as "Gabriel featuring Collins" then put up a picture of Peter with Anthony Phillips.