Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Mark - thanks so much for starting this, it will be tons of fun. You won't hear any Peter/Phil/Steve bashing from me, as I love it all. Well, maybe not this first album FGTR. Actually, I've never liked it much. The strings kill it for me. The Archive 1 selections were more interesting, though.

I got into Genesis in 1980 at age 13. I ate up Duke and Abacab and Three Sides Live. Genesis (Shapes) didn't do as much for me when it came out, but I was a big fan by then and had started collecting the back catalog and the Gabriel years, so I was undeterred!

2. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

This is just me, but I feel the song-by-song approach to be a little to overzealous and the day by day schedule to be a little oppressing.

If I were the threadmaster, I'd just put the new album on every 1,5 or 2 weeks, leaving people to discuss freely the album as a whole or the songs they like to focus upon.

If 2 weeks seem too long, let's remember not everybody is here on a daily basis and they would like to join the conversation nevertheless.

Nobody is chasing us, there's no need to speed up things. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of potential conversation to be generated and I think it needs space to breathe.

But again, this is just me.

3. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Agreed, No need to rush things through. Let the thread wind its course and mature like a fine Savignon. I expect this to reach my favourite Genesis era - mid-seventies - around summer 2019! :agree:

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  4. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Will try to follow this thread as much as time permits.

Borrowed Duke from one of my older cousins boyfriend on vinyl in '85. I was 10 years old and didn't like it or couldn't rather understand it. Sounded nothing like Phil Collins solo for some strange reason. In 1990 I was given Trespass from a friend of my brother around the same time I got my first cd-player. Sounded nothing like Peter Gabriel solo. Didn't really undertand that one either but really liked it anyway because it was so different to what a teenage punk and metal head expected prog to be. Couldn't stand Yes, Floyd or even Rush at the time and hadn't yet heard VdGG or King Crimson but something about the mellow strangeness or the very vague but pretty melodies caught my ear. Or maybe it was "The Knife". That one was pretty metal, but it was what the rest of the songs were about that really made me listen to it a lot.

Probably have to blame that record for being one of many I heard in that period that broadened my horizons to all different kinds of music. To this day Duke and Trespass are my two faves but I like them all to some degree except the first and the last album.

Best regards,

HTRL

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I have no problem with folks talking about the album we're on at any time.

I like to post the songs because there may well be someone that wants to hear them.

Although it may be naive I actually hope, when I do an album thread, that someone who has heard the name but doesn't know the songs has a look and listen and finds something they can get into.

Also with the songs as reference in one place, if someone stated, for example, I think the strings spoil this or that, someone else can listen to it without searching and decide for themselves, or explain, with a sonic reminder, why they like so and so.

If I do a song each day or so, then we will be on an album for a week or two anyhow.

So that's my personal reasoning on it

6. mark winstanley

In fact to me, in relation to talking about an album .... I don't mind if when we are on Abacab and someone has an epiphany about Trespass that they mention it

7. mark winstanley

A month per album may be a little long, but we'll see, if there is plenty of talking about the album, and the songs I'm not going to stop it :)

DarkSideOfTheMoo and lightbulb like this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Just be aware that there aren't a lot of fans of this album on these forums, so I'm not sure if 2 weeks of FGTR is going to hold people's interest. But its totally your call. I'm goood to go with the flow, I just don't want it to die like the ELO album by album thread did.

AidanB and mark winstanley like this.
  9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

If it's about to die, I can take upon me to say something that annoys some folks, like my opinion about an album or laugh at something I don't agree with - then all hell will break loose and there's no chance this thread will die :)

10. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I have this set its nothing too special though if you like vinyl its got it aplenty. the booklet is the same as included in the 2 cd set and indeed the bonus disc is the same as that ones disc 2 so the only truly unique thing here is the mono mix.

I have never been good at comparing mono and stereo so sadly can't offer much insight on that similarly my vinyl setup is not audiophile so sorry I can't be too much help to prospective buyers. the packaging is pretty though.

I can say the vinyl is better than the awful varese sarabande reissue that was out for RSD a few years ago which didn't even sequence the side break correctly (it left a linking track on side A or maybe pushed it to side B or something like that)

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. I really have to give the first album another listen before I'll join the discussions here. I haven't heard it in more than 10 years. Great idea for a thread by the way, I hope to be able to participate as often as possible.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

I am not thinking of spending two weeks on this album, even Trespass may struggle to hold two weeks attention, in my opinion.
    I'm going to play it by ear as far as that goes.
    With this album I am going to post two songs a day and then move on to the next album, unless some intense discussion makes it apparent we need to wait.
    The other albums - In my opinion I will post the album details one day, and then post a song a day (again unless something seems to be of particular discussion interest)
    I could see something like Supper's Ready/Musical Box etc holding a fair bit of discussion, but again, we'll see how it flies.

13. mark winstanley

LOL hopefully it won't come to that, even if it is just a couple of photo's I will be posting :)
    Most threads I have done aren't exactly crowd drawing events, so I'm not freaking out about whether people get involved .... it is certainly much better when they do.

DarkSideOfTheMoo and abzach like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Cheers mate. Any info is good info. Appreciate the feedback

gojikranz likes this.
  15. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I first heard some of the songs on FGTR in that 1990s Genesis: A History documentary - a VHS tape I nearly wore out completely. So I'll always be fond of the ones I remember hearing in that. But otherwise it's more of a curiosity now, in terms of where they would go musically and conceptually later. Silent Sun has a great verse, maybe not so great chorus...but I enjoy it.

16. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

Never dug FGTR. If only they could take off the strings (well, not the guitars), maybe it would hold my interest a bit better with just the band tracks. I like Trespass, then love Nursery thru Wuthering. After that, I more or less only like individual tracks. Never heard anything but the singles off off The Way We Walk & Calling All Stations, both of which I shouldn't comment on since I don't know any of the other songs. Live albums? Love love love Genesis Live & Seconds Out, haven't heard Three(Four) Sides Live tho I think I would love it. The live tracks on Archive vol 1 are to die for, though they were messed around with a bit much. The rehearsals of the '82 reunion show from the mixing board are worth searching out, even if Phil's backing vocals were not seemingly mic'd. The actual reunion audience tape doesn't sound as good though the performance is better since it's in front of an audience.

17. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I still need to listen to the Milton Keynes show, sounds like a cool thing.

ohnothimagen and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Fair enough, it won't go to beyond a few post by the few rabid Genesis fans who believe everything a classic. And has someone else has mentioned, Tresspass will only be a few post.

19. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

If you listen to '50 Years Ago' 2017 digital release you'll find there's almost the whole album without strings, in most cases newly remixed from the original 4-track reels.
    A revelation, indeed!

20. The_Windmill

I found the 50 Years Ago on Spotify.
    What a messy, messy and focus-less release... Scrambled tracks, some remixed, some not, some without overdubs, some with, some vocal tracks... Who compiled that, a blindfolded monkey?

But at least the remixes are a worthwhile document, even though they sound mixed "in your face" and probably hypercompressed.
    But hey, it is what it is.

Still revealing. And more rocking I'd say.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

There are many bands that "rock" better than Genesis. That's not what I listen to them for.

The_Windmill and mark winstanley like this.
  22. The_Windmill

Me neither. It was just an observation about some songs sounding edgier without the comforting and conforming layer of King's overdubs.

23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

Saw this and thought it may be interesting. Does Anyone have it?

[​IMG]

25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Not me, what is it? A listing of concerts, background stories, description of individual shows...?