Genesis: "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" first UK pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by M_K, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM.

1. M_K

M_K Active Member Thread Starter

I would be interested to know are these both UK first pressings that I have listed below? In Discogs both pressings are listed to be the first pressing, but I think t. But they have differences.

Logically I would say that number one below is the first pressing because all matrix in four sides has -2U text. But Foxtrot and SEBTP first pressings have following text in the label "Manufactured and distributed by B&C Records Ltd." Same that number two has below. Confusing...

There are several PORKY cuts in the UK and also in the US. The first UK pressings have famous hum or buzz. Later UK Phonogram (not B&C Records) Charisma Porky cuts don't have hum. According Discogs these two below pressings are the only ones where is written 2U in the matrix. Other and later UK Porky pressings has text A//4, B//2 ...

1:
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

"Marketed by B and C Records"

Matrix / Runout (Runoff A): CG 1 A -2U Porky + Johnnie
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff B): CG 1 B -2U Pecko
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff C): CG 2 A -2U Pecko
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff D): CG 2 B -2U Porky

2:
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

"Manufactured and distributed by B&C Records Ltd."

Matrix / Runout (Runoff A): CG 1 A-2U Porky + Johnnie
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff B): CG 1 B-3U Pecko (see B-3U here, not B-2U?)
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff C): CG 2 A-2U Pecko
    Matrix / Runout (Runoff D): CG 2 B-2U Porky

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:26 PM
  2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Matrix numbers are on the vinyl itself.
    The text you're quoting is on the label.
    That's two different things.

Number Two could very well be a later pressing thant Number One, but with a label that came from an unused stock of "Ltd" labels they had left.

3. M_K

I found that there has been also faulty A-1U matrix. There is no mention about it on the Discogs or elsewhere....

Notably when the LP was originally released in November 1974 with the 1st run A-1U matrix it was found to have a pressing fault resulting in skipping at the beginning and was subsequently quickly recalled and redistributed with the fault-free A-2U matrix issue
    Genesis The Lamb - 1st - B & C + Insert - EX UK 2-LP vinyl record set (Double Album) (644439)

4. M_K

Yes I know that.

5. progmog

progmog Forum Resident

Although the rule of thumb is that the lower the matrix number, the earlier the pressing, this is not true in all cases. Re-cuts can be made for various reasons; for example, because the the original stamper is worn, or even if there is a new cutting entirely. A typical example is 'Houses of the Holy' by Led Zeppelin. The first UK pressing of 'Houses...' was cut by Robert Ludwig and has A2/B2 matrix numbers. However, a later cut by George Peckham has A1/B1 matrix numbers.

The first pressing of 'The Lamb...' is the one with "Manufactured and distributed by B&C Records Limited". I'm at work at the moment and can't recall what the matrix numbers are on my copy, but I will check tonight and confirm.

LivingForever likes this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Then what are you confused about ?