Genesis Trespass Best Pressings other than UK - Repost

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the_redgrin, Aug 16, 2020.

1. the_redgrin

the_redgrin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I was questioning myself which pressings of Trespass by Genesis were ok other than the ultra-expensive Pink Scroll original... Now I just own a Japanese 2nd issue, with OBI and a pretty (relatively) scuffless surface, it's pretty good for the money I payed, but I'd like to own other pressings... Would a German Philips be nice? What about a second UK press? I heard good things about the first US issue, also, please, no digital stuff, this is about vinyl... One last question, is there anyone owning a first Japanese Trespass press? I'm curious about it, it seems almost non-existant and there's one on Discogs for 6k (I truly doubt someone is ever gonna buy it, but is it better than the already premium Pink Scroll?)

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

TLMusic and the_redgrin like this.
  3. the_redgrin

Oh, looks interesting, any other recommened pressings? Just asking, sometimes people really overprice UK vinyl, even that repress has the usual guy which sells it for a kidney, thanks anyway, everyone seems to be ignoring this thread

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, the UK pressing with large Mad Hatter labels is a fine alternative to the Pink Scroll originals. Make sure to get a copy with A-2U B-2U matrices, that is the same mastering as the Pink Scrolls.

The other challenge with Trespass is finding a copy with minimal surface noise. The quiet acoustic music requires it. My best overall copy is a UK second press which sounds very similar to my Pink Scroll, but the 2nd press has less distracting background noise.

5. the_redgrin

If I get an A-2U B-2U I'll basically get the same mastering? There wasn't Porky/Pecko yet cutting the first press, right? Very interesting info, still, I feel the need of asking, so no other country is viable? Us, Germany, Italy, Japan, Canada are all that bad?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  6. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I should think so. Later Uk copies do not sound the same, probably made from copy tapes. There is no Porky version of this album.
    I agree with TL Music that most copies have a lot of distracting background noise. I've got a German and a Spanish first and sound absolutely veiled
    and muffled.
    I'd be patient and try to get a NM 72 repress with the scroll matrices from a reputable seller.
    There is also a Classic Records reissue of this title but it costs an arm and a leg.

hi_watt, Munger74 and the_redgrin like this.
  7. the_redgrin

Than that's gonna be what I'll try, thanks again

8. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I have the 2nd edition of this, a very clear sounding record with hardly any background noise, wonderful, yes go for this 72 version!

the_redgrin likes this.
  9. the_redgrin

Yes, I'd guess that would be a best Pic. I found an Italian first pressing which is already better than the Japanese one, so for no one I am quite satisfied, but a Repress with the two -2s is on my want list

10. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I have the 2016 1/2 speed remix Charisma version and it is one of my best sounding LPs. I was expecting the worst from a relative low budget production but was blown away.

schnulli and the_redgrin like this.
  11. the_redgrin

Yeah, those sound nice. Let me inform you that those are remixes tho, Trespass in one of the best ones.
    I am coming to the conclusion that the 1985 CD might be the best version, the right compromise between those remixes and the originals

12. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

Earlier today I was about to buy the current reissue, from 2018 but after a horrible experience with the Warner version of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (which I returned), I decided to leave it at the store. Also felt very, very light for a gatefold.

the_redgrin likes this.
  13. Miracles can happen, just last month I found a A-2U B-2U Pink Scroll locally for $30

14. the_redgrin

They also are quite high priced

15. the_redgrin

How was the condition?
    I once bought a Foxtrot Porky/Pecko pressing for 20€, it was VG at best, but listenable for sure. Synths sound great, but the production itself is miles away from Trespass. Genesis' original pressings might be overhyped.

16. VG+ no spindles, but a couple of scratches.

the_redgrin likes this.
  17. the_redgrin

Then I'd say that's clearly an awesome find

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  18. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Weirdly I have a A-2U B-3U , but it sounds brilliant as I have just acquired an original Pink Scroll for £100 ! but theres clicks everywhere so I'm sending it back !

19. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I actually bought about 4 copies on eBay and sent them all back , absolute rubbish and Over graded , I finally got one from a charity selling on eBay with a load of other Genesis records for about £70 bargain !

the_redgrin likes this.
  20. Mister Triscuits

Mister Triscuits Well-Known Member

No mention yet of the 1972/3 New Zealand hatter label pressing; clearly it is a well kept secret. This was not cut locally but rather produced with the original A-2/B-2 plates imported from UK and formerly used for the UK pink scroll issue. One can only surmise that once UK plants obtained new stampers with which to produce their reissue/s, the first generation stampers were shipped off to the colonies! I was lucky enough to find a near mint copy in Auckland 35 years ago and it is among my most cherished LPs. I did purchase a UK pink scroll a few years back, but sonically it was actually a downgrade (could not match my NZ copy for inky-black silence during the quieter passages) so I moved it on.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  21. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

There is a European Direct Mastering pressing from 1985 on the Virgin Label (red and green) . It is brighter than the original (in a good way) and I think the album benefits from it.
    It is certainly more detailed while retaining a very decent low end. It's my go-to copy these days. Dirt cheap

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  22. the_redgrin

As of now I am pretty certain the non-remastered CD does the trick.
    It's not pricy, nor hard to find, so it is perfect

abzach likes this.
  23. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I just bought one of these from a seller in Sweden for $54.31, including shipping. Supposed to be M-/M according to seller. He said he only played it a few times. Said the cover and record look brand new! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Mister Triscuits likes this.
  24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I've read several posts in these Trespass threads stating that this album was re-mastered by Kevin Gray, and that there is a Classic Records version.
    I don't think either one is true. Maybe someone can confirm.

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

There was no Classic Records version of Trespass. In the U.S. it was originally on MCA and the rest of the Gabriel-era albums were on Atco. Which begs the question, were the Classic Genesis titles all remastered from masters or copies from the U.S. series?