Geniuses that are/were not able to read a sheet music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Learn theory. Reading is for classical musicians and piano players,mainly.

Mr Bass likes this.
  2. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Wes Montgomery couldn't read standard notation, which is a lot more unusual for jazz musicians than rock guitarists.

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Sorry to destroy the joke, but Ray could actually read music using braille...

Monosterio likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I figured I had a pretty good shot at being right. Oh well...

dino77 likes this.
  5. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

According to his son, he could not.

http://www.harposplace.com/Artist/ArtistStory.php

As for being a genius, genius takes many forms.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

He has often said that he can't, but early on he said that he could. I think that he thinks not being able to read makes a better story.

7. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Captain Beefheart and his partial recreation 'Frank" from Soronprfbs.

Cassiel likes this.
  8. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

If any of you out there have not seen "Frank" then I urge you to rent, buy , stream an amazing work that is amazing on several different levels.

9. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I'm surprised by the high number of those who can't sight read. I would think that condition would preclude one from earning a living in a studio.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Tatum in his 20s (from James Lester's book Too Marvelous For Words):

[​IMG]

Zeki likes this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

There is a difference between a music score and a vocal part. Pavarotti could read vocal parts but was not very good at reading opera scores in terms of instrumental cueing for his entrances etc.

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Frank Sinatra

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Well, reading a chord chart is a different skill, one that a session musician would absolutely need to be able to do. Not always easier than reading notation either.

14. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Mick Karn could not read music. Apparently something he was rather embarrassed about.

15. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

PACO DE LUCIA

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think saying "not able to read a score" is somewhat off base. I think the truth is closer to they just had no reason or never gave a crap to learn how to read music. My guess is they could have probably learned quickly. Also, in general, it does not take many years of study to learn how to read music. It's not rocket science to say the least. Trust me, if a boob like me can learn how to read music, anyone can.

Mr Bass likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes I think there is confusion between reading music and reading a score. Any kid taking music lessons learns how to read the music for their instrument. That is something much different than reading a music score which contains the parts for multiple instruments or even an entire orchestra. That can take many years of study and listening experience to be able to read a music score of a work never heard before and have a clear idea how it will sound when played.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  19. Errol Garner is a notable jazz musician who did not read music.
    Max Roach, Sonny Rollins and Oscar Pettiford, all peerless musicians, struggled liked hell to play the music Thelonious Monk had written for Brilliant Corners. When he came on the scene people scoffed at Monks technique and assumed he was an untutored dabbler trying to fake it. How wrong they were. The image persists though that an ability to read confers an extra layer of musicianship on a player.

Looking at the OPs original list I dont see too many geniuses there, Hendrix and Reinhardt, maybe Robert Johnson -who didnt hang around long enough to confirm his status- then a bunch of rock guitarists of varying levels of ability. IMO, of course.:)

20. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Not sure if Keith Richards could or not, but his situation was in common with a lot of Rock talent that emerged from '60's Britian: They come from art classes, that in the words of Richard(s), some individuals, such as himself, were sent because they couldn't cut a board straight.

21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

"Reading" and "sight-reading" are two quite different skills.

I read standard notation well enough to learn material on my own. However, I can't sight-read something handed to me cold worth ****.

SirNoseDVoid and chervokas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.