George Clooney as Thomas Magnum in the feature version of "Magnum PI"??

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Oh, good God, no........

Evan

4. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Too bad it wasn't made a few years back with the original cast, as I remember being discussed ...

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A while back I heard on the radio that they were toying with the idea of having Thomas Magnum (Selleck) get murdered early in the movie, then have his son or younger brother (Clooney or whoever) solve the case. :rolleyes:

Checking out the link that soundboy provided, it appears that the screenwriter is a guy whose primary experience is in camp/spoof comedies like Austin Powers and Undercover Brother. That doesn't seem to bode well for the new incarnation of Magnum.

6. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. Spoof is OK for stuff like the Brady Bunch (and I haven't seen Starsky and Hutch, but that looks kind of funny), but when I see reports about a Six Million Dollar Man spoof with Jim Carrey and hear about this possibly being a spoof, please, Hollywood, leave my childhood alone!

7. KLM

KLM Senior Member

OH MY GOD.....(as Higgins would say)

I can't imagine a Magnum PI movie without Selleck and pretty much the rest of the original cast. Magnum PI was one of my favorite series and to this day, I still do the Thomas cackle just for fun....

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Spoof this!

9. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Another movie where Cloony acts like a doctor working in a Chicago Hospital....

10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

This is the worst news I've heard since that story broke a few months back about a possible Dukes of Hazard movie with Britney Spears as Daisy Duke.

As long as people go to these movies they'll keep making them.

11. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

This got greenlit as a comedy-spoof because of Starsky & Hutch, I'll betcha.
    Thing is, would anyone go to a Magnum PI movie with Selleck? Someone in Hollywood probably thought not, which is why that didn't get greenlit. I will admit that the Clancy script sounded interesting, though.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As Futurama's Bender would say: OH YOUR GOD! Leave it alone, or hire Selleck. Magnum was a great show with touches of subtle comedy but the underlying tenor was very serious and sometimes tragic. Do it right or move on...

13. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I agree. I would never go see a Magnum movie without Tom Selleck. I can't even imagine a movie without all the original actors.

AJH

14. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Tom Selleck has to be rolling over in his grave.

Wait a minute, Tom Selleck's not dead...just his career.

Still, is nothing sacred...?

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Isn't that what Clooney does in ALL his movies?

:D

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Myra Breckenridge was Tom first film (Mae West"s toy-boy in the film) Magnum is Tom Selleck!

IMO George Clooney was a crap Batman, crap in Solaris (fell asleep) , crap Ocean 11 ( boring). Just my 1 euro cent.

GC good in the Coen Film !

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

While not the movie star, Selleck's western TV movies are big hits on cable TV. Not to mention his appearance on "Friends" is the only reason to watch that show.

Just imagine LLCoolJ saying "Higgy Baby!"

18. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Again, at the link soundboy provided somebody mentions how the Vietnam War (and the feelings of the men who had survived it) was a major subtext of the original show. The new movie is supposed to make Magnum a vet of the '91 Gulf War, a completely different kind of conflict and one that couldn't be expected to breed the same kind of outlook among Magnum and his comrades. But what the hell, who cares about things like subtext and backstory and character motivation in today's Hollywood?

19. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

"Acts?" How novel. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree--make it with the original cast, or don't bother. I might even make a point to see it if that were the case. Anything else just reeks of "Hollywood cash-in".

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I do the same with Audrey Hepburn. :love: :D Fortunately she did do more than recite the alphabet! ;)

21. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:agree: :agree:

22. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I liked to watch the original series (back in the ...uh, what was it..80's?) in German television. Ah yes, I remember it having replaced "Dallas" as the weekly top series... every tuesday at 9 P.I. .uuh. p.m. I have seen it only in a German version ("synchronized"). Don't laugh, it worked very well; and they had very good voices for all the characters; especially Selleck and Hillerman! But when the series was re-broadcasted a few years later, they had more episodes bought and re-recorded most if not all of the character's voices, since the original "voice cast" was not available at the time. I hated the show having new voices (lost interest within a quarter of an hour); why should I watch it in the theater having even new actors?! To me, Tom Selleck IS Magnum, period.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I enjoyed George Clooney's performance in O Brother, Where Art Thou?, but I thought thtat he was just OK in The Perfect Storm

24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It would be interesting to see the original cast. These people would probably hire Daffy Duck to play Bugs Bunny.

25. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It's amazing what good looks, a nod and a monotone can do in Hollywood these days.

:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.