DCC Archive George Harrison 1943 - 2001 R.I.P

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cousin It, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

For those of you that might have a solid bandwith experience, Mike Stark at KNAC has made a nice little George Harrison tribute at www.motherradio.com

After December 8th, he will be (once again) airing the John Lennon "LA Radio, THE NIGHT JOHN LENNON DIED". As morbid as it sounds, it offers possibly the most interesting trip back to December 1980 along with many instances of John Lennon being "Guest DJ" at fammed KHJ to promote "Walls/Bridges", several rare interviews, and a length of tape that gives a rare glimpse of the impact (of the day) on the LA dial.

It will be here 12/8, if you want to bookmark, Beatle-Peedles:
    http://members.aol.com/mikeknac/Lennon/

He's emailed me to confirm that 12/8, he will put that stream up.

2. What can I say except that the guy's music changed and enriched my life and those of millions of other fans around the world? My prayers are with Olivia, Dhani and all of George's family and friends. :(

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It's such a shame...

Todd

4. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Hi Jeff:
    I agree that 33 1/3 is an overlooked album. I remember getting that one when it first came out in '76, I was 13 at the time. "Dear One" & "Beautiful Girl" are good songs. 'Living in The Material World' was also a good record- "Dont Let Me Wait Too Long" is another one I like. I was watching VH1 earlier, they were showing George (and Ravi w/ him) in a 1997 interview. I must say, to hear him speak- he was a very intelligent and sensitive man. None of that "I'm a huge Rock Superstar/Hero Worship" shallow, condescending crap. He will really be missed.

5. George himself said it best - "All things must pass, all things must pass away..."
    I just never thought it would be so soon. And while George Harrison the man may be gone, his music will live on forever.
    Thank you, George.

6. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I've been thinking about George's death for the last few days and it's just sad when we have to say good-bye to different chapters in our lives. It's hard to think of a person in a past tense and where we are going and one day we will be in that same place. Life is very special and forever changing. I wish we could bring back everyone but maybe we will all meet again (like in that song). Anyway, we have our memories. I remember that call in radio show George did in 1987 to promote 'Cloud Nine' (I think Rockline). I got through on the 800 number and I was seconds away from asking George a question and I was so nervous I forgot what I was going to ask and the screener said he couldn't let me on the air without a question. I was very disppointed. In 1988 (I think) on the day the Beatles were inducted in the Hall of Fame, I was walking on 37th Street with a friend (I lived on 30th Street) and we passed the two guys (smoking cigarettes) on the street who looked very familair. A block away later we realized on of them was George (the other we thought might have been Jeff Lynne). A crazy stroy from November 1995 (the day before the Anthology TV debut). I wqas hanging out with some friends in London. We were causing trouble around the city for over a week and were heading back to NY the next day (on that Sunday). We were hanging out at a pub near Glouster Road (The Builder's Arms/an old hang-out) and we were chatting-up a few girls and one of them was staying with Roy Orbison's widow (she was a friend of the family). She invited us to come over for lunch the next day before we flew back and she said that George and Ringo were going to stop by also to meet with Barbara. She was very sincere. Later that night, I gave her a call from my hotel (a suite at the Park Lane in Green Park, I had strange luck and connections back then) but I made a terrible mistake. I called her by the wrong name. She was very insulted and said the next day was off. She thought I was only into her for the "company" at the lunch (I was into her but I'm honestly terrible with names). Anyway, it never happened...

Todd

vitorbastos123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.