George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I wouldn't know as I didn't get the stereo box. Too much fiddling for my liking. The mono box on the other hand...near perfect

Headfone likes this.
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I've seen a US box and own an EU. I can assure you there is a big difference. The EU jackets look great, as DK Pete says. Vibrant colours and glossy. The US jackets looked washed out and darker.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have both, plus some extra EU pressings. They don’t look glossy to me.

Somerset Scholar and teag like this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Then maybe there are different manufacturers for the EU box (at least the jacket covers), because I noticed a remarkable difference.

The box itself is different: the EU box is smaller and shinier, like piano black.

DK Pete likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m underwhelmed with the jackets. The jackets for the mono albums look much better.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yea, I usually "hang on" to most of TB's comments and opinions but I'm really at odds with this one. I even recall when the 2012's first came out, the covers were the one thing "everyone" seemed to have good things to say about. Oh well.....:shrug:

A well respected man likes this.
  7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I bought the 33 1/3 album individually and the colors look just fine.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have them all up to and including the self-titled, "George Harrison" album and I think so too. The re-issues that actually *were* a disappointment in terms of cover picture quality were those of John Lennon. In contrast to the U.S. Beatles 2012 re-issues, the pressings are stellar while the covers look like poor, grainy photocopies.

9. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I just picked up the box for 250 Canadian. I am very happy with the pressings and the cover art quality. Great deal in my opinion. The albums all emulate the original releases very well and Brainwashed is very special to own on vinyl. I really enjoy that album and more so on vinyl.
    The two picture discs seem like a waste. Why not include b-sides and remixes or some of the bonus tracks from ATMP and the Dark Horse box set? I also can't believe that they didn't include a book.

Oh well, lets hope that Volume 2 of the unreleased tracks comes out soon.

Jerry Horne and superstar19 like this.
  10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have pretty nice vinyl originals, and the SACD box. Any reason to spring for these vinyl reissues:

33 1/3
    George Harrison
    Somewhere in England

Welcome any thoughts...

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I’m guessing no. No opinions?

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I have the 2017 vinyl box, very nice US original copies, and the CD box. The only SACD in it is the live one - was there an all SACD box? I hope not, I don't want to buy these again :)

From a sound quality standpoint, I don't think the new vinyl is required. The original LP's are quite good.

The new ones sound very similar to the CD's with a bit better soundstage and more bass.

I went for the box more from a completist standpoint and I don't regret it.

Small win is that the Lp's all have replica UK labels, and I didn't have those in my collection. :D

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I misstated. I meant to say the Dark Horse CD box...

14. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Just ordered this for $280 on Amazon which is the cheapest I've seen it in awhile. Head's up for anyone interested.

Clonesteak and vitorbastos123 like this.
  15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I bought all of the albums individually Minus Wonderwall and Electronic Sounds. I have the CD’s of Wonderwall and ES and can’t say I listen to them all that much. I have an original of Wonderwall on vinyl and have played that only a couple times. I would’ve bought the box at that price... Darn I should’ve waited.

16. For me Wonderwall is one of his top three albums.

17. Clonesteak

I do need to give this album more listens. Great album but it is almost like I neglect it since I usually grab a George Harrison proper solo release. Well I know what I will be listening to tonight.
    I listened to the Ghandi soundtrack this past weekend and loved it. Wonderwall is better than that album. The song skiing is a killer guitar groove and I am a big fan of Indian music.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Clonesteak

I might just have to buy Wonderwall new on vinyl since I remember my copy not being in such good shape.

19. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

All Things - UK or 2017? If you didn't have a copy yet, worth seeking out the original?

For example - as good as the 2014 Beatles?

20. Clonesteak

I haven’t heard an UK copy. Better than the stereo Beatles IMO. For the money it might be worth getting the remaster. Not sure how much the original remaster is fetching nowadays.

21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Heads up for anyone on the fence on this: Amazon has it for for 268.55 today! It's still 400ish everywhere else!

22. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Man, that’s tempting. Prime will ship it to me TOMORROW for free as well...

Must. Resist.

Solace likes this.
  23. Embracetheday

Is it today only?

24. With Amazon it could be a week or an hour at that price.

Embracetheday likes this.
  25. Embracetheday

@Mazzy did you get this one? If so, what do you think of the set? Should I go for it??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.