George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George's "It Don't Come Easy" is an absolute must.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ATMP...a remix with bonus tracks...LOL

Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I thinks it's very bland...the demo that is. : )

Chuckee likes this.
  4. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

You, sir, have won the Internet today!

5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

With George, I hope they go a smart route. Give us a 2 cd or box set of just outtakes. I don't want to re-buy the masters. They sound good enough on my original vinyl. I loved 'Early Takes 1' but it was too short.

Keith V, Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Good point! 32 years... Dhani (currently age 41) will be 73 years old, if he lives that long, and will have outlived his father by some distance (George died at the age of 58).
    Still, you never know about these things. Maybe Dhani should hurry that Volume 2 along a little more quickly after all...

Matthew Tate, Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yeah and we probably have a greater chance of seeing an "Early Takes Volume 3" before 2 ever arrives ( example: just like The Traveling Wilburys, that cheeky fellow [Spike] George!)

[​IMG]

DocShipe, Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I think he first expressed that sentiment quite a while back. There is certainly no reason for him to be chained to his dad’s legacy if he has better things to do and his own muse to follow.

But damn man, there are plenty of talented and qualified individuals in their circle who would / could lovingly take on that burden. Do it or don’t, but get out of the way and allow someone else to do it if you can’t be bothered.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Skips to vol.3

10. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

A typical cheap shot at Paul. Like he has any say so about what the Harrison estate does.

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Released in 2020, sells 900 copies at $175.
    Goes out of print in 2022 due to lack of interest.
    In 2024, the set sells on eBay for $400 and up due to high demand.

BEBOPALULA, Boognish, rischa and 4 others like this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It’s amazing that after nearly 20 years since he passed, not much “new” stuff has been released. On the one hand the restraint is admirable, but from a business perspective it’s absurd and from a fan’s perspective, it’s just frustrating.
    Luckily they already got the main discography remastered and readily available on cd and vinyl, so hopefully they have been focusing their efforts going forward on archival releases. ( didn’t the estate hire someone for archival purposes not too long ago?)

An ATMP 50th *should* be a no-brainer, but my concern with the people in charge is that ATMP seems to be the only thing that exists, so if we even get a deluxe set for it there’s nothing to say other albums would be given similar treatment, or new projects, like say a Dark Horse tour concert film/album would get released anyway.
    It’s just continually mind boggling to me, in an era when the audience that will happily pay for sets like these are shrinking every year that they don’t take advantage and release sets for the fans and make whatever money they could while they can. Friar Park can’t be cheap to maintain!

(P.S. Dhani, it’s perfectly fine for you to want to do your own thing and have a career of your own, but YOU don’t have to sit chained to a desk. There are people you can hire to oversee and consult on this stuff and you can just approve it and speed it up for all of us :D )

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

They're missing out on the last gasps of physical media, and the die-hard fans are passing beyond the material world. It's not as if they're sitting on some future goldmine.

14. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Maybe they will release recordings from the 1974 Dark Horse Tour in 2024.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I'd take a Vol. 3. Or Vol. 7 or ... well... anything. :waiting:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Hep Alien, omikron and longdist01 like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, because we need those three LPs stretched out over six discs.... :magoo:

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah. If they don't have someone working on it already, I would be more than willing to step in and help move the project forward.......... :whistle:

omikron likes this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That does seem to be his pattern. Just look at how much copies of Old Wave go for these days...... :cool:

19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

There oughta be a documentary on the making of All Things Must Pass to coincide with the anniversary. Ringo and Paul can provide a bit of information on where some songs start (in the Get Back sessions), and then plenty of living players can shed light on the making of the album*: Ringo, Klaus, Eric, Gary, Peter Frampton, Joey Molland, Bobby Whitlock, Dave Mason, Gary Brooker, Alan White, John Barham, etc. Couple that with some footage of George from the time and/or some voiceover of him describing the making of the album later on, and I think that'd make for one heck of a doc.

* Phil Spector and Jim Gordon excepted for obvious reasons.

20. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I bet they aren't going to do a damned thing.

21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Include it in the deluxe box set! ( I can see them either doing nothing at all, or doing a documentary like you described only and no box set, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised this year)

22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

What about Whoopi?

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's okay...some insightful observations from Whoopie could replace Spector and Gordon. :D

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Apple Jam deluxe edition! Expanded Live Peace In Toronto, and Super deluxe Sentimental Journey, all competing for dollars!

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:laugh:
    It's a good thing Opie's not around here to see everybody mocking his movie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.