George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Put in Phil Collins' story, too.

longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Electronic Sound mixed to 5.1 with some outtake footage.

Jerquee, pantofis, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hey, there might be some cool outtakes to Sentimental Journey!
    :help:

4. I'd buy those first two you listed in a moment.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

My speculation:

First Quarter 2020: McCartney Archive release. Most likely Flaming Pie but most are hoping for London Town & Back to the Egg

May 2020: Let It Be - 50th Anniversary Edition

July 2020: Ringo Apple Years Box. This box has been rumored for a few years (Ringo even mentioned Capitol was working on this in an interview) and his 80th birthday would seem to be the perfect time to release something like this.

October 2020: Maybe a Lennon release? The One to One Concerts box that has been ready to go for a few years? A Plastic Ono Band box similar to the Imagine box?

November 2020: All Things Must Pass - 50th Anniversary Edition

The first two and the last are slam dunks. It will be interesting to see if the Ringo and Lennon releases come to fruition.

6. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

What would a Super Deluxe set look like for ATMP? We had some bonus tracks on the 2001 30th anniversary version including
    1. I Live for You" – 3:35
    2. "Beware of Darkness" (acoustic demo) – 3:19
    3. "Let It Down" (alternate version) – 3:54
    4. "What Is Life" (backing track/alternate mix) – 4:27
    5. "My Sweet Lord (2000)" – 4:57
    I've read that there are tremendous amount of demos and tracks that George was working on during the sessions. However I am not a bootleg collector or listener so I have idea what's truly worthy of release. I am sure however that there are some very knowledgeable people as usual here that can add some clarity to this and put together a fantastic set. Love to hear people's thoughts on this.

7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

There's lots of ATMP sessions demos out there on YouTube that seem more than ready to be officially released.

Sean, RubenH, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There is a wonderfully titled bootleg BEWARE OF ABKCO that contains many of the demos and other stuff that didn't make the album. It even has a Wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beware_of_ABKCO!

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

The bootleggers put out The Making Of All Things Must Pass 3cd, All Things Must Surface 2cd, All Things Must Pass Sessions 6cd and probably others that I don't know about. Maybe the Harrison Estate doesn't have enough left to reveal anything new.

10. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I think they're waiting until 2021, when they'll release the 20th anniversay edition of the 2001 remaster. :)

BEBOPALULA, bpmd1962, Sean and 3 others like this.
  11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

This is a great opportunity for Phil Spector, on a work release program, to add some more grand layers to album. Why is Apple Scruffs so naked? How come there isn’t more echo on George’s voice on I’d Have You Anytime? Where are the choirs on Behind That Locked door? Where are the strings and horns on Thanks for the Pepperoni?

Let’s make All Things Must Pass the grand Wagnerian album that was only hinted at in 1970!

Sean, mrjinks, Panther and 8 others like this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:laugh:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

“Beware of ABKCO” was the one I listened to most.

Lewisboogie, milankey and omikron like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh, already mentioned, sorry.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not sure if it’s ATMP sessions but Harrison’s song “It Don’t Come Easy” with him singing it is part of the tape stash.

pcox80, Matthew Tate and Ken.e. like this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Not to be confused with the "2 finger hand turned backwards" up yours gesture.....that might start a.. "WAR"!!!

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  17. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

That’s why we need the instructions included

18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes!like "DANCE STEP" instructions.....still an "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" mega box would be most welcome and calm us restless natives.....

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

I think judging on recent releases, the price of any such box would be prohibitive to most

rockclassics likes this.
  20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

As first mentioned in @lennonology 's excellent Eight Arms To Hold You book, there is a full tape (reel E97540), recorded May 26, 1970, of unbooted studio takes of Sour Milk Sea that most of us would love to hear.

This track, along with other unreleased but bootlegged tracks, Dehra Dun, Going Down To Golders Green, Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna), Get Back and Whenever (aka When Every Song Is Sung or I'll Still Love You) should also be included in any release.

BEBOPALULA, Ken.e., Sean and 3 others like this.
  21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

There is man-made backing on this demo, which turned out quite well...

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It really, truly doesn't make any sense to have all this material in the vaults. There is a 100% chance of there being AT LEAST 4 CDs of excellent material, waiting to be heard. People will buy it. George's solo years will get a critical reevaluation. His music will be spread even wider and gain more fans. None of this is a bad thing. Everybody wins.

Matthew Tate, theMess, Sean and 6 others like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

He recorded an early version of "It Don't Come Easy" around this time that has never been booted in any form. That would be cool to hear.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    sean4554, theMess, Sean and 3 others like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Have you ever heard the instrumental backing track of Art Of Dying WITHOUT ANY of the Spector reverb?? Incredible.

25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Sad that it is so obvious to millions of George's fans but maybe not so to Olivia and Dhani and/or the record company.

I have to say I am shocked at the paucity of releases since George's passing.

The Scorcese movie was the high point.....great in parts, so-so in others.

Other than reissues of already existing product (which I did appreciate), the releases have been few and far in-between!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.