George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I like how you say man-made, as if the original demo wasn't man-made.

;)

Hep Alien, omikron and Darrin L. like this.
  2. Haristar

My favourite unreleased ATMP outtake:

3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

And wasn't Vol 1 only about half an hour's music? Not looking good.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I have always liked "Nowhere To Go", which Dylan may have assisted in cowriting with George:

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Ha..ha...meant to say "fan"-made.

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I think we have a " Winner!"

I wonder why "Classics Album" video program wasn't even done while George was alive....certainly there's other artists that were featured, The Doors, Dylan, Cream, Tom Petty etc....

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

A weak defense was Vol 1 was really a songtrack for the documentary.

Which makes calling it Vol 1 confusing like there's going to be a follow-up documentary or something.

I really have always figured it was some tongue-in-cheek joke to tack the Vol 1 bit on there.

8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Getting past the irony, if they did do a doco or some substantial interviews around All Things Must Pass, it would be the most meaningful and intimate to hear Paul reflect. I know that many of the musicians on the album were or became lifelong friends of George, but at this late in the day, Paul reflecting (and Ringo obviously), would be something quite special. Especially as the album was in the immediate time frame of the break up. I just don't know how it might be approached. Yes, there is obviously the genesis (pardon the pun) of many of the songs while they were all still Beatles, but would it go in a direction of Paul being candid enough to speak about his personal reaction to the album perhaps, sensitively in regard to Paul as this was a very painful era for him. i.e. did he listen to the album as whole at the time, what did he think? I guess same goes for Plastic Ono Band as well. I can't imagine he didn't hear them and not consider them both as brilliant statements music and song wise. I think it would be hard for him to offer some objective and at the same time personal memories. Although I guess he would come up with something that was both a heartfelt tribute in words, while at the same time not giving too much of himself away. He always manages to do this somehow :)

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

This needs to change post haste as you are missing out on a tremendous amount of incredible material by a wide array of artists.

10. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Please, God, no!! The last thing in the world George's legacy needs is old-man Paul passing judgement on him now that no other chief Beatle is alive to challenge him.

Can you imagine the things Paul might say if they let him loose on All Things Must Pass?:

-- "'My Sweet Lord' was really successful for him, which shows what a great writer George was.... Of course, he pinched it."
    -- "He was really was my baby brother. George was only about 8 years younger than me. I used to let him eat my throwaway table scraps."
    -- "I heard that John came by the studio and played a little harmonica on one song, which is really nice. Of course, it's a pity that George never made up with John before John died, unlike me, who was John's best friend again."
    -- "Eric plays some really nice lead guitar on this track... Of course, a few years later he stole George's wife. I just wanted to say that, in case, you know, people didn't know it...."
    -- "The song, 'All Things'... George brought that to a Beatles' session once, and, you know, I really liked it and wanted to do it, but I think John didn't like it. Yeah, but I really loved it. It's just a classic Harrison track. And, you know, as a track, it's all right, too."
    -- "All Things Must Pass really shows how great George was, you know. It sold a lot and really did well for him. Which kind of reminds me of Band On The Run, except mine was bigger and better in every way, you know. But George was truly great... I mean that."

11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D This is what my wicked self would think as closer to the reality of how it would all go down.
    My better self would rather think Paul would participate and it would be special, just like it was to see him there in a moving way on The Concert For George.
    An old Beatle fan can still dream a bit can't he :)

pantofis and Hep Alien like this.
  12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I know you have a hard-on for Mac bashing, but do you honestly think any of this would be said? You're getting ridiculous at this point. He's already praised All Things Must Pass without any of the crap you added.

Dean R, dunkoid, milankey and 13 others like this.
  13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It'd be a very George thing to do, wouldn't it? :D

sean4554, Hep Alien, Sean and 3 others like this.
  14. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

Would love an All Things Must Pass deluxe set with a 5.1 blu ray, demos, and maybe some stripped down mixes of some of the album tracks.

Marty T, theMess, Who Cares and 7 others like this.
  15. omikron

We kind of got a version of the official Paul view of George in the Scorsese doc. I will need to go back and watch it but I don't recall it was patronizing in any way.

Panther, you are a bit over the top on your take here. I really don't think it would turn out like that.

And whether we like it or not, Paul, John, Ringo and George are all going to be tied together on some level forever.

I can see your point of making it about George but these things are never really existing in a vacuum. The very existence of the album ATMP is a reaction to the Beatles after all as well as a statement in the wake of their demise.

Lewisboogie, Fabsmith, coco77 and 5 others like this.
  16. omikron

Yes! I darkly would love to get a deSpectorized version of ATMP.

theMess, Who Cares and MPLRecords like this.
  17. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Unfortunately when it comes to George's vault releases we're at the mercy of two people who don't know their ass from their elbow about what the fans really want.

Isn't it a pity? Isn't it a shame?

18. Haristar

But if you want it, then you must find it. But when you have it, there'll be no need for it.

BEBOPALULA and daveidmarx like this.
  19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

And paying them sweet nothing for the pleasure.

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Is that even possible? Forgive my ignorance, but I always thought the Spector was "baked-in" to the masters.

Cast Iron Shore and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Easy!
    You put your hand on your head
    Put your foot in the air
    Then you hop around the room
    In your underwear

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Is that the alternate lyric to "IT DON'T COME......EASY".....If so I'm buyin'!!!

23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Feel like I've become a broken record with this, but this is the latest quote from Olivia about it:

"There are more acoustic versions of George – and in fact after all these years I’ve been listening to cassettes and DATs and dictaphone tapes, for years, and recently came across a cassette where he said, ‘Maybe I’m going to make my own album one day,’ and he’s actually singing to his sister-in-law, saying, 'Oh I wrote this one’ and 'that one’ so we have some beautiful versions of George playing just on his own from All Things Must Pass. Hopefully we’ll include those!"

Dark Horse Radio, Any surprises in store for the 50th anniversary [of All Things Must Pass]? (Nov. 2018)

Would be nice if people could chill a bit on the Olivia and Dhani bashing until we know what the deal is.

BEBOPALULA, RubenH, jmxw and 5 others like this.
  24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

That is quite the chip you have on your shoulder.

25. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

George could have released ATMP demos himself for the 30th anniversary edition. Isn't he as much to blame?

Chuckee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.