George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

So I did a little more comparing of "Wah-Wah" on the CD vs the Blu-Ray and it does appear the stereo track on the Blu-Ray is a little less compressed than the CD.

Here's a photo of the wave forms, CD on top, Blu-Ray (24 Bit 192) on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Aoide, snkcube, stevef and 23 others like this.
  2. I'd sure like to see those DR digits for the blu ray audio. :righton:

3. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Thanks for detailed notes Ron!

DmitriKaramazov, Bern, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  4. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to the vinyl yet? How does it compare with the digital formats?

Sargon, AppleCorp3, Further and 2 others like this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yeah, I mean, who would have expected that audiophiles would be discussing audiophilia on an audiophile forum?

The horror and the nerve!

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

some of us having been doing that for over a decade :wave:

Nogoodnik and Dean R like this.
  7. pet_soundsations

pet_soundsations Well-Known Member

Based off of the video for the 8LP set it looks like the vinyl is pressed at GZ. If you pause the video when they’re taking the disc out of the sleeve GZ’s catalog stamp is visible

Not necessarily the death knell as I have good GZ pressings…. but also a fair amount of mediocre ones

8. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

The CD waveform is not brickwalled. Trimmed, compressed and not fully dynamic but not brickwalled. If it was it’d be a block.

ricks, 905, dasacco and 3 others like this.
  9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for posting the Blu-ray waveform. It does look better than the CD and definitely not brick walled. Let’s get those Blu-ray drives ready for ripping! :)

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed review. The remix seems aligned to what I expected from Paul Hicks, faithful to the original but with less muck. It was always going to be a challenge to completely clean this up (given the echo was stamped on many tracks while recording) and it just wouldn’t be the same without at least bit of the “Wall of Sound”. I very much look forward to hearing the new remix in surround!

I was hoping that we get a “De-Spectorized” version on the bonus disc through studio outtakes of each track (similar to say the White Album SDE). Unfortunately, that’s not to be with only choice cuts selected on disc 5 with the Day 1/2 demos being the focus of the bonus materials.

Ariel Aditya and marklamb like this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Is Get Back the same as the bootleg version we already knew about? And is Wedding Bells a full cover rather than a Get Back sessions style jam?

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I’d love to do a blind listening test and see how many people could actually hear the difference in DR between these masters.

13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I’m curious about the stereo remix in terms of depth and balance (some of the previews were jarring, e.g., placing the vocals far out front or diminishing a guitar line). Anyone with an early arrival have any first impressions?

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  14. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

It would be helpful if someone were to to zoom in on very small passages of this song so that we could see a section of peaks more clearly. Might also be helpful if those who post these screenshots identify the software they're using. The first screenshot here does appear to show peaks abruptly cut off.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    marcb likes this.
  15. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Will someone please review how the Atmos/7.1/5.1 surround mixes actually sound instead of how the waveforms look like.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Looks loke Audacity.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I hope the 24/192 download has the same master as the Blu Ray as I opted for that instead of the 5cd set as it was about £70 cheaper. I know this wasn’t the case for the Beatles hi res releases though

OobuJoobu likes this.
  18. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

where are downloads available for purchase?

marklamb and Uncle Miles like this.
  19. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

Yes and yes.

Sean Murdock, ronbow and Haristar like this.
  20. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

If Not For You, Wedding Bells, What Is Life, Let It Down, Run Of The Mill and Hear Me Lord are my favorites from this disc! I keep thinking the same thought after listening- why didn't George release these 20 years ago?!

linklinc, omikron, Haristar and 2 others like this.
  21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I do have a pretty good selection of the ATMP outtakes and acetates - Making Of, Songs for Patti, etc - but i had not heard Get Back before; it’s not the full song but more of a well-executed vamp by a really good band.

In a similar vein, Wedding Bells is nicely done, closer to cover than spontaneous jam, nothing like the various Twickenham jams - this is an enjoyable listen but frankly would have preferred more alternates from the album.

22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That's good news about Wedding Bells at least, cool that there's at least one new song that had never been bootlegged before.

omikron likes this.
  23. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

Get Back is on The John Barrett tapes boot previously. Better quality on the new set, of course.

Haristar, Sean Murdock and ronbow like this.
  24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Which “release” did GB appear on?

Edit: Ah, Barrett Tapes! Thanks.

25. Emholio

Emholio Forum Resident

I had never heard Almost 12 Bar Honky Tonk before this set. Pretty cool little Blues jam.

Sean Murdock and Haristar like this.