George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How is the quality of the vinyl and do you know who pressed the LPs?

2. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

Someone mentioned earlier today or yesterday that GZ pressed it? I'm really out of the loop on that kind of thing. I'm not a vinyl expert by any means, but to my ears, it sounds lovely.

3. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

He was talking in the context about studio work, as was I. Not live work. And I *think* he meant being never being asked to play piano in the studio, because he was known primarily as B3 player.

Btw, in Whitlock's clip here around the 8 minute mark, he begins to talk about what he played on ATMP. B3 (except for Behind That Locked Door which was Preston he says), pump organ and tubular bells (Let It Down).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Sorry . My bad.

BungalowBill likes this.
  5. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

He talks here about the 20 minute mark about being asked to play piano but he said up to that point he'd never been asked to by anyone. So it appears he's on piano on Beware of Darkness. And B3 on everything else except Behind That Locked Door (Preston) and any pump organ that was needed.

In that same video, he does say that he was on the Hari Krishna's, etc. vocally on My Sweet Lord and he and Eric were on All Things Pass and just him with George on a gospel harmony on Awaiting On You All. My guess is that every one of these were mixed way down in favor of The George O'Hara Smith Singers that were in the final mix.

6. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

And it’s hard to miss his distinctive voice

jeremylr and Naughty Chord like this.
  7. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Thank you kindly for posting this. Much appreciated. I wonder if the scrapbook will have personnel info or maybe nobody actually knows or remembers who did what on each song? I have the 8LP on order so hopefully some of my questions will be answered when I receive that and can peruse the book.

When you get a chance, would you please summarize what the "Making Of" book actually covers if not personnel? Since that book is really the primary content exclusive to the Uber set, I'm just hoping to get a feel for what those of us who opted for other options are missing.

8. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

From what I read (and keep in mind, I just skimmed a lot to try to find the "who plays what" if any), it seems to read more as a timeline narrative. It does mention who played overall, but literally more of who arrives when and who leaves when due to tours, etc. I may have to re-read more carefully, but I don't think, outside of the engineer comments by Phil McDonald, for example, it's stuff we don't already know. The tape boxes are nice to see in this sessions notes book, but it's rather small and I needed my reading glasses to see what instruments were played on what track. And even then, it's not listed with the personnel. While nice to have, I don't think it's that different than what we know from say, the Wikipedia article on the album or the various books about Harrison that cover ATMP.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  9. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Been comparing and thought I'd share more. I have the SH mastered cd, the 2010 digital hi-res download, the Japanese red vinyl in a hi-res rip, the original UK in a hi-res rip, and this new remix on cd (not got my tt back up yet--hey, it came EARLY!).
    Focusing on "Wah-Wah," there's a bass boost starting about 250 Hz and sloping up, peaking at about 27 Hz, then sloping down the same amount, off the scale. It sounded that way to me for the whole album--it's right around the frequency I used to diminish when trying to fix overly-compressed music. It gives it punch, but it makes it feel too full to me.
    The others all sound tinny when you go back to 'em.
    In case you care, to my taste, the Japanese Red is well-defined but after a while, too harsh.
    The UK is easy and nice but ultimately muddy comparatively (well, aren't they all on this track?!)
    The Hoffman and the 2010 dl sound very similar to me and are my faves.
    I did some eq-matching with FabFilter for fun, and that's where I see the big bass hump that I'd been hearing.

It's a great album in any format, in spite of the sonic short-comings of the few tracks we all know and love-hate (wah-wah, indeed!), and I think the new vinyl will most likely be somewhere between the new cd and Steve's.
    So, there's that for what it's worth, since I got mine early and want to give back to this community!
    Enjoy this ride, everyone--we may not all be here for the 100th!

10. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Is there another advance track coming this week or next? I'd love to hear a remix of one of the uptempo album tracks like What Is Life or Awaiting On You All.

crossroads69 and Sean Murdock like this.
  11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

On the basic tracks of Let it Down, which leaked years ago, Whitlock’s voice comes through clearly.

12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Hoping there’s something coming this week to keep us going until August 6th. Given all the discussion about Wah Wah and it’s waveforms, maybe that should be the next preview track :D

13. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

Or at least an unboxing vid of the 5cd set, so we can judge the quality of the scrapbook!

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

What’s interesting is that the “Making of…” booklet — effectively the liner notes for the expanded content of the deluxe editions — measures 7” square. It could be nicely packaged with discs into a smaller format, such as a vinyl singles box. It seems that anyone wanting the extra content of the 5-CD edition would want the liner notes, in addition to the slimmed-down scrapbook w notes on the main album.

15. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

And SOME of us buy two of everything so we can keep one copy sealed. It's a sickness, I know...

Fabsmith and Sargon like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Please post your system on your information page so we can see what you listen on. Thanks.

EVOLVIST and Mazzy like this.
  17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I feel similarly, though for me I just want the CDs and Blu Ray as I don’t play vinyl

sonofjim likes this.
  18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Anyone know if the Blu ray is region free?

ronbow likes this.
  19. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Blu-ray label says "All Regions."

jl151080 and Naughty Chord like this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Very, very quiet? The peaks on the SH mastering are maybe a couple of dBs shy of max (and quite possibly because other songs do hit 100% or close to it?). Just turn the volume knob clockwise. You can’t undo limiting by turning the volume knob counterclockwise.

Remember comparing the original mix to a remix is apples and oranges. Even putting the what-appears-to-be overall peak limiting of the new CD aside, differing volume levels, compression, EQ, placements etc of individual instrument tracks makes comparisons a challenge.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    thrivingonariff likes this.
  21. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

You really don't want to know. I'm probably one of the lesser audiophiles (and I'm sure I don't qualify). I'd prefer not to be laughed at and mocked due to my puny system. And I've been wearing hearing aides since before the pandemic. I have my opinions, but I don't think I'm someone that anyone would hang their hat on as an audio expert at ALL. I just like vinyl.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Enough said. Thanks.

ronbow and BungalowBill like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks for doing this, but I can’t go by hi-res rips from vinyl. They’re limited by the turntable and system used to rip the album. What may sound muddy on your rip, may not sound muddy in my system.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I feel like as long as it's not empty, people don't actually care as much as they act. Those that do care look at it, go "well that's not my system, that must suck" then move on. :laugh:

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of rips either. Too many variables to get a solid idea.