George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Plays amazingly as an album! Raw yet cohesive, the Day 1 disc can easily stand on its own.

It’s just a fantastic piece of music.

2. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Very cool--congrats!
    Is that Spector letter in this book?

And I totally agree on the Day 1 demos disc being a wonderful album on its own.
    Day 2 kind of continues but is more like George giving a nice living room concert, too. Really wonderful.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yes it is. I also interviewed John Barham, the arranger on the album, extensively, and he sent me scans of his scores for "My Sweet Lord" and "Isn't it A Pity," which we used as the endpapers of the book. There are two EMI tape boxes for Derek and the Dominos that haven't been shown before either. Lots of little goodies like that.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Strike one against my Kindle edition.

Claudio Dirani and Solaris like this.
  5. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I had Koss headphones and they were great. I think I got them late '70s or early '80s and used them for many years. Until they started falling apart. I could probably glue them back together, if I could find them!

jammincrowe, BungalowBill and Sargon like this.
  6. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

Oh, great--ordering now!
    And congrats on being #1 New Release in Music History & Criticism.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...2BZHVDXDCBJQ6B&ref_=pd_gw_unk&tag=shforums-20

Solaris, aphexj and BungalowBill like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well said. And it’s worth noting that in many cases, people with the less expensive setups have better ears than those with the big buck setups. Just sayin’….

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Almost finished with the book Jason and loving it. A couple of things I learned, Albert King?!!! I already complimented Ken...you guys did a great job.

Solaris and rediffusion like this.
  9. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

Still very few sound reviews...

Nice.

teag and pet_soundsations like this.
  10. Solaris

Thank you!

oboogie likes this.
  11. pet_soundsations

pet_soundsations Well-Known Member

If anyone that has the set can take a peek at the LP deadwax for any mastering info it would be appreciated! I think we're confident that it's pressed @ GZ, but I'm curious to know the engineer that cut the lacquers. Any initials or insignia in the runout? :righton:

Sargon and teag like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Only have listened to the first CD so far but it is rather compressed and very bass-heavy. Still hopeful that the vinyl turned out better...

Musicisthebest and Sargon like this.
  13. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

Thank you for posting. Terrific 40 minute unboxing of the Uber crate from 2 Legs: A Paul McCartney Podcast, including an extended look at the scrapbook. Wish I got to see more of the smaller booklet that has recording notes and pix of tape boxes omitted from the main scrapbook.

Wingsfan2012, Lewisboogie and DK Pete like this.
  14. Rick Bradford

Rick Bradford Forum Resident

Interesting that you reproduced the Spector letter. How did you manage to get an unredacted copy of that and permission to reproduce it in your book?

Solaris likes this.
  15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe this is the best approach. Memories can be very tricky, even when one is trying to be earnest. Relying on ONE person's memory of events can slant details in ways never intended. Just ordered your book, looking forward to reading it this weekend. Be well, Ron

Wingsfan2012, marklamb, Onder and 6 others like this.
  16. BungalowBill

BungalowBill Sideman

Ordered and expecting delivery today! Really looking forward to this. Nice timing.

Solaris and oboogie like this.
  17. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) is stellar in the DTS Surround Mix. The Frankie Crisp chant in the background, which I never noticed before, is sublime. So many little textures are present that went unnoticed by myself before. A+++

18. Solaris

That's Mal, of course. Confirmed to me by John Leckie, second engineer on all the sessions (except for one).

19. Solaris

Someone who worked for the office that transcribed Spector's dictated tape still had a printed copy of the letter. I asked if he would send me scans and he did.

jtiner, marmalade166, oboogie and 5 others like this.
  20. goodboyfred

Not much love is ever given out to the Apple Jams but I Remember Jeep has Eric kicking out the jams like nobody’s business. Have Ginger Baker along doesn’t hurt in the least. Interesting that John & Yoko were going to assign this as a Plastic Ono Band song even though they aren’t part of the recording.

21. Solaris

I took a road trip last year and forgot I had put the jams on at the end of the album, so I was surprised when Out of the Blue came on. I decided to listen since it had been a while (and I had to write about the jams for the book anyway) and was pleasantly surprised by how it changed and grew as it went on. They were really listening and responding to each other on that track. And Klaus told me he was on guitar on that one, not Clapton.

22. goodboyfred

I Remember Jeep is the jam that I mentioned which has Eric & Ginger on it.

Solaris likes this.
  23. Solaris

Right, I should have been clearer I was responding to the comment about the jams in general (and the Klaus comment was about Out of the Blue).

aphexj and goodboyfred like this.
  24. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Did George's Apple Jam partly inspire John & Yoko's approach on Yoko's POB? Or vice versa? Klaus plays on both...Which was recorded first?

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

For years, if not decades, people have been clamoring for a "remix" of this album.

It's amazing how few comments there have been from the uber recipients relative to the effectiveness of the remix. Maybe most of them are more interested in the trinkets?

It will be interesting after August 8th when the LP and CD buyers start listening and commenting about the remix.